G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37S or G37XS, 12hrs to decide...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
vistec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im in torotno also. i have been driving RWD for 6 winters now. no problem with winter tires.

get the S.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
KennyG37S

6MT is irreplaceable for the engaging driving experience IMHO.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I have a 6mt and had snow tires on this year. Chicago's winter has been exceptionally warm this year, so the snow tires stayed on for a little over a month.

Do keep in mind that with the 6mt, your wheel sizes are limited due to the BBK. That means that instead of going with a 16x7 or so wheel, I had to go with a 18x8 to clear the brakes. This further limited my tire sizes. I ended up going with 225/50/18 all around (same as the OE front that came with the car).

I did get a chance to drive the car in one bad snow (~6-7" fell that day). On plowed roads, the car handled fine, few if any surprises.
Unplowed roads were a bit more of a challenge, but still very drivable so long as you kept the speed in check. The worst were unplowed roads that had deep ruts. The car tended to follow the ruts and direction change was challenging. This is likely due to the low stance of the car (stock height 6mt sedan), and the wide tires. Again, keeping speed in check made it drivable. I had no white knuckle moments. Ideally, 215 or even 205 width snow tires would be best for snow cover roads.

So in conclusion, 6mt+snow tires is drivable so as its done sensibly. Many people opt for 245 width snow tires. Sure this gives better performance and handling in the dry, but does very little to help in the snow.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the same dilemma for quite a while. i live in Northeast Ohio with bad Lake effect snow. Winters a re long and usually bad (except this year). My car is my DD and I ended up with the RWD for the enjoyment in normal weather. I have a set of 18x8 wheels with Blizzacks and the car handles incredible! I'd be dissapointed if I would have went with the X.

There are certain people that should get an X in inclimate climates, but I think from your OP you already know you should get the S.

...and as it was said earlier X only helps with traction on acceleration. Period. Does not improve braking. ..I will add that I'm also highly impressed with the vehicles dynamic control. The few time I did play around in the snow I couldn't believe how well the VDC system set the car straight by braking a single wheel. Told the wife she prolly couldn't wreck the car if she wanted to! J/K. (Nice to be able to turn it off though )
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
MurderedG37s

If you don't care about getting to work..Get the S. You live in Toronto dude, that is insane. Trust me, no one wants an Auto, but the xS is awesome. Its fun enough, you can flip the paddles, its alright. I had a 6mt G37s and it was awesome. But never again for my DD. And I live in CT. You will regret the RWD.
People will always rationalize their purchase of a RWD. The car sucks in the snow. period. I had one. The AWD is a beast. Its safer, handles better, and you get bette gas milage. Plus you can do AWD Donuts : )
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Runch69

Hey all, thanks for the replies and inputs. It was a pretty east decision once I remembered the most important detail: Auto vs Manual. I just can't imagine myself driving a sports coupe in automatic lol. No disrespect to you peeps with the auto, just a personal preference. I like the feel of changing gears, enjoying the ride.

M6 should be ready by Friday with: tint, Stillen intakes and black grille for starters!