G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infiniti just put my steering wheel on wrong!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Frankyg37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by htran16
I think you're gonna be on your own on this one OP. I wasn't completely satisifed with something the dealer done for me under warranty, so I told them and they fixed it on the spot, no waiting.
same here they fuawked up my shifter and i told them the gave me a FREE NEW ONE
Old 02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Frankyg37s

i have 1 month left on my full warranty my steering wheel is not that bad,HOW can i get them to change it.maybe i can bribe the service guy with 100$ bill
Old 02-26-2012, 03:27 PM
ooranzoo
Registered Member

Yeah, I had the same issue with my local dealership and the alignment was off. A simple phone call and took my car back to the shop fixed it. No big deal. =)
Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see what most people mean by stating that OP overreacted a bit. But we did miss a point, I believe. The survey they ask you to fill out is about the service you were provided during your visit. Was the issue fixed? Was the customer happy with the results? How would you answer the survey if any of YOU had a crooked steering wheel and the survey asked you those questions? We are all human and make mistakes, that is true, but also, any Infiniti dealership will pride themselves in the quality of their work and the competence and training of their techs, how we should always have our vehicle serviced there, what happened to Quality Control? Test Drives?

I can honestly see the feelings the OP is having, I myself am having this same problem right now. They replaced my steering wheel under warranty, but it's crooked. I told them about it, and my car has been at the dealer 2 or 3 times. They did an alignment (even though they themselves advised it wasn't needed as the current settings were slightly off spec), they checked my suspension, and tire wear. Nothing fixed it. Also my car is pulling to the right, w/in 5 secs my car is already halfway into the next lane... The steering wheel also crooked to the right. They just won't admit they put it on wrong, I asked them to check that, and the Svc Manager stated that the steering wheel goes on one way only and there's no way to miss it... When I center the steering wheel myself, the car pulls to the left.
So there you have it...lol. If I don't hold my wheel, my car goes right. If I hold it straight, it goes left... Consumers Affairs asked me to try another dealer, I had to bite the bullet and next week I'm driving 1.5+ hours to the next closest Infiniti dealer to get it checked...

Looooong comment....sorry
Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM
08INFINITIG37S

Originally Posted by jon23
I see what most people mean by stating that OP overreacted a bit. But we did miss a point, I believe. The survey they ask you to fill out is about the service you were provided during your visit. Was the issue fixed? Was the customer happy with the results? How would you answer the survey if any of YOU had a crooked steering wheel and the survey asked you those questions? We are all human and make mistakes, that is true, but also, any Infiniti dealership will pride themselves in the quality of their work and the competence and training of their techs, how we should always have our vehicle serviced there, what happened to Quality Control? Test Drives?

I can honestly see the feelings the OP is having, I myself am having this same problem right now. They replaced my steering wheel under warranty, but it's crooked. I told them about it, and my car has been at the dealer 2 or 3 times. They did an alignment (even though they themselves advised it wasn't needed as the current settings were slightly off spec), they checked my suspension, and tire wear. Nothing fixed it. Also my car is pulling to the right, w/in 5 secs my car is already halfway into the next lane... The steering wheel also crooked to the right. They just won't admit they put it on wrong, I asked them to check that, and the Svc Manager stated that the steering wheel goes on one way only and there's no way to miss it... When I center the steering wheel myself, the car pulls to the left.
So there you have it...lol. If I don't hold my wheel, my car goes right. If I hold it straight, it goes left... Consumers Affairs asked me to try another dealer, I had to bite the bullet and next week I'm driving 1.5+ hours to the next closest Infiniti dealer to get it checked...

Looooong comment....sorry
At least you have a local dealer. If I need specific Infiniti service, I have to drive 2 hours to Atlanta....
Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ImStricken
you mean this?
Please don't tell me our Infiniti's use Lucas electronics. Aren't they the company that has been used in British cars for years and years and always toublesome? Had s Sterling (Austin Rover) and the electronics were crap and so problematic.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 PM
jon23

So, I had posted before how, just like OP, my local dealer installed the steering wheel wrong after they replaced it under warranty. I think I took it back 2 or 3 times and they said it was fixed when it wasn't and I was told that there's no way to install it wrong as it only goes in one way.

I drove almost 2 hours to the next closest Infiniti dealership and took a test drive with a tech, we barely got off the dealership and he just said "Yeah, the steering wheel is not centered, we can fix it" So they took it off and even re-align my G, free of charge! Awesome right? Well, I didn't have all day (because they also replaced the exhaust, but more about that later...) so we left and got on the interstate as soon as we got the car back. Well, the steering wheel is crooked to the other side now!

I called the dealership and told them about it and they are going to take a look at it next week. I can't wait to get it fixed and go back to my local dealership and throw the paperwork on their face!

About the exhaust... I had originally stated to my local dealership that I heard the famous exhaust rattling, but they have to this day 4 times said that they couldn't replicate it! The other dealership noticed it right away and replaced the exhaust during my same visit. I've read about how some forum members had theirs replaced and noticed the sound just wasn't the same anymore and they missed their old exhaust.

But for what I can tell, it sounds better than my old one, and the old one had a real nice sound. But the new one has this deeper kind of growl and it's not raspy at all.

Let's see what happens next week...
Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 PM
jon23

Quick update. Steering wheel fixed. The dealer that is far from my house took it in and aligned it twice and made sure it was good-to-go before I left. And also, great customer service, I'm sold!

Something else my local dealer failed at: Checking the fluids as I requested. They advised twice that the transmission, differential, power steering, brake & clutch fluids were in good condition and didn't need replacement. Well, the other dealer right away gave me a list of things that needed replacement in priority order! The differential and tranny fluids need replacement and also the power steering. Since I found a DIY on the manual transmission and differential fluid replacement, I did it myself and yes indeed...nasty business down there The drain plug looks worse than the one pictured at the DIY article.

I'll tackle the tranny fluid replacement next, and then I need to find out how to do the power steering. As I've read here before, doing these types of things yourself get you closer to your car, and you can actually feel what you've done to the car...