Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Wyldfyer

Just a couple of notes:

NEVER ask about racing if you don't even have the basics of regular driving, bro! LOL.
IMHO, when coming to a stop, it's very easy to just put the car in neutral when you know that you are coming to a complete stop. You also get much better gas mileage as opposed to downshifting. You also preserve your clutch. The tricky part is if you have to put it back in gear (like if the light turns green before you come to a stop....). Only experience can teach you which gear associates with the speed that you are going. I will say that the G37 clutch isn't the best.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
Just a couple of notes:

NEVER ask about racing if you don't even have the basics of regular driving, bro! LOL.
IMHO, when coming to a stop, it's very easy to just put the car in neutral when you know that you are coming to a complete stop. You also get much better gas mileage as opposed to downshifting. You also preserve your clutch. The tricky part is if you have to put it back in gear (like if the light turns green before you come to a stop....). Only experience can teach you which gear associates with the speed that you are going. I will say that the G37 clutch isn't the best.
My last standard I down shifted all the time. At 150k miles I was still on the orignal clutch (and in good shape working well mind you) and on top of that I was able to get 90k miles out of my brakes (only had to turn the rotors and do pads). Down shifting is a GOOD thing. Why do people not understand this? It does not use hardly any more gas if any and puts very little additional stress on the clutch if done PROPERLY!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
1NEETO

Just a couple of notes:

Wrong. It has been explained already but I'll give you the cliffs. When you coast down in neutral, the engine is at idle, when the engine is at idle, it's burning gas. When you coast down in gear, the fuel is shut off, Exept when the rpm's get low enough to the point the engine starts to stall. The only wear on the clutch is if the rpm's are not matched during the downshift, and even that is very minimal, nothing like the wear that happens when you take off from a complete stop. Of course if you downshift from 6th to second at 55 mph and let the rpm's drop to near idle then there's gonna be a driveline shock that will take its toll over time. But I'm sure that nobody here is dumb enough to do such thing.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
alikhan2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
probably because you're essentially engaging it by "[holding] down the clutch to the point where the car is engaging." just remember where the engagement point is and drop it then. i feather slightly depending on how much traction i'm looking for. i launch at 2500 (gives slightly too much wheel spin).
I'm gonna try that. Thx

Originally Posted by GotAir523
every time i've launched, ive done it at 3k with traction control off. you can't just drop the clutch though, thats horrible for the car; you need to slip it out. pretty much since out engagement point is soo high on this car, i hold my foot half way down, rev up to 3 and hold it there, then slip off the clutch and it hauls ***. very minimal to no wheel spin and it moves. actually took it to the track on friday and did this, had a 2.1 60' by launching like this
I'm gonna try your method also. Thx

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
OP you forgot to add that the race happened at a racetrack. *hint hint*.

There are a bunch of myths when it comes to coasting, ever since the hypermiling fad kicked in with over zealous Prius driving tree-huggers who wanted to hit the advertised mpg's the Prius fails to get. Like mentioned earlier, coasting in gear does not put any more strain on the powertrain than normal driving. Whether I'm driving my AT G or my 5MT beater, I always downshift and use the engine to help slow me down. And on the G it's even fun since it has auto rev-match.

I don't do it to save gas since since the gas savings are almost negligible, I do it ecause it's a good habit to ALWAYS be on the right gear. But if you want to save every little ounce f gas that you can then do what hyper milers do. Turn off the car while coasting down in neutral, and good luck since you'll need it.
What I do Is throw my car in neutral and just coast to the red light because I know I will be stopping and I want to preserve the clutch by not downshifting. I only downshift when I'm at a high gear and if I need to be at a lower gear.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
You mean the Z has rev match. No G I know of has rev match (yet).

To the OP, make sure you set aside ~$2K for a new clutch sometime in the near future. Possibly more depending on other driveline damage
Why do you say my clutch will go bad? Is it because I'm launching incorrectly?

Originally Posted by eVitO
OP, just wondering: where are you located?

Maybe a forum member around you would be kind enough to meet up with you and give you a few live pointers and demo proper 6MT driving and what not.
I'm in Skokie, Illinois.

Last edited by alikhan2004; 04-09-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by alikhan2004
Why do you say my clutch will go bad? Is it because I'm launching incorrectly?

I'm in Skokie, Illinois.
Because dumping the clutch and other 'racing' type abuse will tend to cause premature wear, and may potentially damage parts of the driveline.

Skokie, eh... scary! Very scary.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM
alikhan2004

Just a couple of notes:

I know the basics I been driving for a while now. I never raced until I got the basics down which is how to move forward which I have down pretty good but I just need a tip on how to launch hence me asking the question.

Originally Posted by Tazicon
My last standard I down shifted all the time. At 150k miles I was still on the orignal clutch (and in good shape working well mind you) and on top of that I was able to get 90k miles out of my brakes (only had to turn the rotors and do pads). Down shifting is a GOOD thing. Why do people not understand this? It does not use hardly any more gas if any and puts very little additional stress on the clutch if done PROPERLY!
I only downshift if I need to other then that I usually just coast.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
alikhan2004

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Because dumping the clutch and other 'racing' type abuse will tend to cause premature wear, and may potentially damage parts of the driveline.

Skokie, eh... scary! Very scary.
I dont do it every day I just want to know how to launch that's why I'm asking. LOL I know its scary but I don't F around in Skokie.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Wyldfyer

Wrong. It has been explained already but I'll give you the cliffs. When you coast down in neutral, the engine is at idle, when the engine is at idle, it's burning gas. When you coast down in gear, the fuel is shut off, Exept when the rpm's get low enough to the point the engine starts to stall. The only wear on the clutch is if the rpm's are not matched during the downshift, and even that is very minimal, nothing like the wear that happens when you take off from a complete stop. Of course if you downshift from 6th to second at 55 mph and let the rpm's drop to near idle then there's gonna be a driveline shock that will take its toll over time. But I'm sure that nobody here is dumb enough to do such thing.
Actually if we are going to debate, let's just be TOTALLY correct. I love the way you elegantly (but INCORRECTLY) typed "Wrong" and then yourself typed INCORRECT info.

Here is the Truth... THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN GAS MILEAGE... when comparing downshifting to simply engaging the clutch or drifting in neutral to a stop.

If you still think I'm incorrect put some money up and then go film your MPG gage doing BOTH.

And far as damage to your clutch, I will change that to wear on your drivetrain/engine...
Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Wyldfyer

I know the basics I been driving for a while now. I never raced until I got the basics down which is how to move forward which I have down pretty good but I just need a tip on how to launch hence me asking the question.
My bad... you mentioned: "Second question do you have to completely push the clutch in to switch gears and also when starting from first gear? Third question before I ask you guys the question I just want to let you know I never stalled but my question is getting of first gear I always jerk what could I do to stop that?"

So those are kind of "the basics" of driving a manual... So I thought you were still working on it.

ALWAYS push the clutch ALL THE WAY DOWN! Now the weird thing on our cars is at what point is the clutch disengaged... There is a lot of play in the clutch. The only way to get rid of the "jerk" is practice and learn at what point/rpm/footspeed should you release the clutch. I'm going to pay closer attention tomorrow and follow up if no one else has already answered!

Enjoy the car though. Im glad I went with the 6MT this time!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 AM
alikhan2004

My bad... you mentioned: "Second question do you have to completely push the clutch in to switch gears and also when starting from first gear? Third question before I ask you guys the question I just want to let you know I never stalled but my question is getting of first gear I always jerk what could I do to stop that?"

So those are kind of "the basics" of driving a manual... So I thought you were still working on it.

ALWAYS push the clutch ALL THE WAY DOWN! Now the weird thing on our cars is at what point is the clutch disengaged... There is a lot of play in the clutch. The only way to get rid of the "jerk" is practice and learn at what point/rpm/footspeed should you release the clutch. I'm going to pay closer attention tomorrow and follow up if no one else has already answered!

Enjoy the car though. Im glad I went with the 6MT this time!
No problem bro that's when I first bought the car and was learning on how to drive but I got everything perfected besides launches but as I said before I don't plan on doing that everyday its just once in a blue moon if I race someone. Thanks for the help tough and I hope you give me the answer tomorrow on how to not get the car to jerk because I'm still kind of working on that.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 AM
1NEETO

Actually if we are going to debate, let's just be TOTALLY correct. I love the way you elegantly (but INCORRECTLY) typed "Wrong" and then yourself typed INCORRECT info.

Here is the Truth... THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN GAS MILEAGE... when comparing downshifting to simply engaging the clutch or drifting in neutral to a stop.

If you still think I'm incorrect put some money up and then go film your MPG gage doing BOTH.

And far as damage to your clutch, I will change that to wear on your drivetrain/engine...
Settle down Beavis. Fist of all I guess some here have a bad case of selective reading, so I don't have a choice to quote myself... Again.

I don't do it to save gas since the gas savings are almost negligible, I do it because it's a good habit to ALWAYS be on the right gear. But if you want to save every little ounce of gas that you can then do what hyper milers do. Turn off the car while coasting down in neutral, and good luck since you'll need it.
I am well aware that the gas savings are almost NEGLIGIBLE, meaning almost insignificant just in case that's too big of a word for you. The wrong statement I wanted to correct is when it was said that coasting down in gear burns more gas. That is a WRONG statement. Just like how coasting down in gear puts more strain on your driveline is just as wrong of a statement.

In modern fuel injected vehicles, fuel is shut off while engine braking. While in neutral fuel is being injected to keep the engine idling. This is not a matter of opinion, this how it works. This is why I was clear to say that the gas mileage difference is negligible, and that I personally downshift because I like to be on the right gear just in case, not because I want to save gas.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:49 PM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love all this talk about rev matching/double clutching LOL.....

None of this is necessary, because these are synchronous manual transmissions.

Double clutching is for pro shifted/face-plated transmissions.

So much rice...........
Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Wyldfyer

No problem bro that's when I first bought the car and was learning on how to drive but I got everything perfected besides launches but as I said before I don't plan on doing that everyday its just once in a blue moon if I race someone. Thanks for the help tough and I hope you give me the answer tomorrow on how to not get the car to jerk because I'm still kind of working on that.
OK Bro! Here is what I noticed (and this may be a little babying) but if I took it to 1000-1500 rpm and count "1" then let my foot off the clutch by the time I counted "2" it was smooth. So essentially around or a little less than 1 sec, there is no real jerking. Thats just for normal driving. But I don't really launch this car. If I did, I'd probably do that around 2500 to 3000 rpm.

The problem is the range that the clutch pedal has. There is a LOT of range which makes it difficult to judge when you can let you foot off. It's pretty unique to our cars but there is actually a fix that someone wrote a DIY for...something about replacing the spring. But Im getting ahead of myself LOL. See how that works.

Quick Reply: my 6Mt drivers I have a several questions