Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you have a clutch, why not use it?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
KennyG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
  1. You DON'T need to double clutch in modern cars, like the G37.
  2. Practice makes perfect, just drive more
  3. Watch Youtube video, i found "s0ggyrice"'s tutorials pretty good, he drove a mini S
  4. I found a post from driver forum worth reading, i have attached it here, and the credit goes to the original poster
  5. Enjoy, 6MT is amazing
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Driving a 6MT.doc (37.0 KB, 201 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 PM
mykke101

Originally Posted by KennyG37S
[LIST=1][*]You DON'T need to double clutch in modern cars, like the G37.
technically true with synchros manuals BUT I still think its far more fun

... I also can rev match faster this way, maybe I am just used to it tho ...

Last edited by mykke101; 02-22-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 AM
alikhan2004

Originally Posted by mykke101
Negligible yes but like anything it all adds up. The main reason is definitely safety. Having your car coast in neutral is dangerous. You have no control over your engine and you are relying completely on your brakes and the awareness of the drivers around you. In order to be a proactive driver you should always keep you vehicle in the proper powerband. This is why automatic is usually the better approach for a less experienced driver. A lazy manual driver is a dangerous driver. Learn the correct way to control your MT car from the beginning will pay dividends in the long run.

Once again the extra wear/tear is negligible. More use on the clutch will obviously impact the life but the main wear is still on your acceleration through gears. Properly rev match downshifting is no harder on the clutch than properly shifting into a higher gear. The main wear is still almost entirely on your stop start proficiency (which is why it is so important to become good at this!)

@cruzmisl

Good Advice, learning the proper points to downshift without the need to blip is probably the best place to start. This way you are not concerned on how much to blip and are also not putting additional stress on your drive-train while learning!

Things I would concentrate on for now:

1. Learn to start stop confidently
2. Get a feel for at which speeds you should be in which gear, this will transcend to your downshifting eventually
3. Brake while in gear moving to neutral once your RPM drop under idle threshold
4. Once you are more comfortable begin to downshift when your RPM drops into the lower gears natural powerband. (Downshifting past 3rd is usually not needed.)
5. Downshifting for corners will come with time, one thing to NOT do is neutral coast a corner.
7. Profit

After you have mastered the above you can begin to move onto "advanced" techniques. After-all these are the techniques that separate a MT from an AT and are what makes MT so superior.

I'm glad you are asking for advice it may be intimidating at first but it will be worth it; more "green" MT drivers should be doing exactly what you are doing and learning correctly from the start.
Thanks mykke101 I will concentrate on the 7 points you gave me and once again I appreciate all the help.

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
If you're coming to a red light stop sign, just slow down with your brakes with the car in gear. Put it in neutral before the RPMs get too low, maybe 2 seconds or so before you actually come to a stop. You can put it in neutral earlier, but in many states coasting in neutral is actually illegal and in my opinion coasting too much in neutral is just a bad habit.

The following tips are things you will learn by yourself by learning the car. You may feel like you don't have much control over it, but WITH TIME AND PRACTICE, you will know exactly what gear you need to be in at any given time, and when the best time to change gears will be.

First of all, since you're new to this, you'll probably be focusing too much on the numbers and not on how the car feels. That's fine, but just try your best to get a feel for it.

Now regarding the situation you asked about, let's say your coming to a red light and you want to turn, and then it turns green.

For downshifting to 3rd or 2nd gear, there are specific speeds/rev ranges that you can just shift to those gears without worrying about blipping the throttle.

If you're in 4th gear and you've slowed down to around 18-20MPH (I think 20mph in 4th gear is like 1100 RPM or so), you can just push in the clutch and go from 4th to 3rd and get a smooth shift. No need to blip the throttle. You won't get great acceleration out of the turn but it will be fine. If you slow down even more (like really slow...6-8mph), you can put it into 2nd before the turn without blipping and get a smooth, non-jerky shift.

If you stay in 4th gear through the turn, unless you mobbed that turn going 35 mph, you will be in bogville and going slow as sh*t.

For me, the best place to practice this exact situation was in my neighborhood (as long as each turn doesn't have a stop sign) at night time. You don't have to worry about traffic and you can go up as high as 4th gear while staying 25-30 MPH. This is how I learned what speeds I can go 4th->3rd (around 20 mph), or 3rd to 2nd (6-8mph) without blipping the throttle.

You will never downshift to 1st unless you're stopped or BARELY moving.

While I hope these situational things help, the best thing you can do is just drive slowly and carefully and get the feel of the car.

Also, as I said before, when upshifting or downshifting, always remember that the stick will auto-center itself. When going from 2nd to 3rd, you don't need carry it all the way across (you might accidently find yourself in 5th), you can push it out of 2nd, it'll go toward the middle, and push it up to 3rd. Or when going from 5th to 4th, drop it out of 5th, let it go center and just pull it back to 4th. OF COURSE, i'm not saying to wait a full second to do that, but let the auto-centering nature of the stick help guide the motion of how you shift with some of the gears. It does that for a reason.
Thanks again crusmisl I will focus more on the feel of the car cause I did figure out my engagement point. Thanks again
Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 AM
alikhan2004

Originally Posted by KennyG37S
  1. You DON'T need to double clutch in modern cars, like the G37.
  2. Practice makes perfect, just drive more
  3. Watch Youtube video, i found "s0ggyrice"'s tutorials pretty good, he drove a mini S
  4. I found a post from driver forum worth reading, i have attached it here, and the credit goes to the original poster
  5. Enjoy, 6MT is amazing
Thanks for the link
Old 02-23-2012, 12:36 AM
alikhan2004

Once again I would like to thank everyone who helped me out.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 AM
GenX~G37S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I raced my buddies 2010 Acura TL SH AWD from a dead start. From 0-80km/h he was little bit ahead, but when 100-180km/h I was seeing him in my rear view mirror. I have a 08 G37s Coupe 6MT and I find I have the same issues with you in the clutch shifts. I find it normal since the G35 coupe clutch was very similar. You will get use to it as you drive it a little longer. The clutch on the STI is completely different you cannot compare the cars together. I had my G for awhile now and I cant always start off from 1st gear perfectly. The clutch is Bi Polar hahaha.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM
alikhan2004

Originally Posted by GenX~G37S
I raced my buddies 2010 Acura TL SH AWD from a dead start. From 0-80km/h he was little bit ahead, but when 100-180km/h I was seeing him in my rear view mirror. I have a 08 G37s Coupe 6MT and I find I have the same issues with you in the clutch shifts. I find it normal since the G35 coupe clutch was very similar. You will get use to it as you drive it a little longer. The clutch on the STI is completely different you cannot compare the cars together. I had my G for awhile now and I cant always start off from 1st gear perfectly. The clutch is Bi Polar hahaha.
LOL Bi Polar...but yea I'm gonna practice until I get it perfect before I race him.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 AM
alikhan2004

Alright I'm back and I have my car perfected but I can't get a good launch and was wondering if you guys can shed some light on how I can launch the car perfectly. This is what I do I turn off the traction and rev up to 2000 rpm and hold down the clutch to the point where the car is engaging then I just floor the gas and dump the clutch but it doesnt launch how it should. What am I doing wrong? Can you guys give me step by step instructions on what to do.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by alikhan2004
Alright I'm back and I have my car perfected but I can't get a good launch and was wondering if you guys can shed some light on how I can launch the car perfectly. This is what I do I turn off the traction and rev up to 2000 rpm and hold down the clutch to the point where the car is engaging then I just floor the gas and dump the clutch but it doesnt launch how it should. What am I doing wrong? Can you guys give me step by step instructions on what to do.
probably because you're essentially engaging it by "[holding] down the clutch to the point where the car is engaging." just remember where the engagement point is and drop it then. i feather slightly depending on how much traction i'm looking for. i launch at 2500 (gives slightly too much wheel spin).
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
every time i've launched, ive done it at 3k with traction control off. you can't just drop the clutch though, thats horrible for the car; you need to slip it out. pretty much since out engagement point is soo high on this car, i hold my foot half way down, rev up to 3 and hold it there, then slip off the clutch and it hauls ***. very minimal to no wheel spin and it moves. actually took it to the track on friday and did this, had a 2.1 60' by launching like this
Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 PM
1NEETO

OP you forgot to add that the race happened at a racetrack. *hint hint*.

There are a bunch of myths when it comes to coasting, ever since the hypermiling fad kicked in with over zealous Prius driving tree-huggers who wanted to hit the advertised mpg's the Prius fails to get. Like mentioned earlier, coasting in gear does not put any more strain on the powertrain than normal driving. Whether I'm driving my AT G or my 5MT beater, I always downshift and use the engine to help slow me down. And on the G it's even fun since it has auto rev-match.

I don't do it to save gas since since the gas savings are almost negligible, I do it ecause it's a good habit to ALWAYS be on the right gear. But if you want to save every little ounce f gas that you can then do what hyper milers do. Turn off the car while coasting down in neutral, and good luck since you'll need it.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
And on the G it's even fun since it has auto rev-match.
You mean the Z has rev match. No G I know of has rev match (yet).

To the OP, make sure you set aside ~$2K for a new clutch sometime in the near future. Possibly more depending on other driveline damage
Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
OP, just wondering: where are you located?

Maybe a forum member around you would be kind enough to meet up with you and give you a few live pointers and demo proper 6MT driving and what not.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by Jsolo
You mean the Z has rev match. No G I know of has rev match (yet).
Read again son.
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Whether I'm driving my AT G or my 5MT beater, I always downshift and use the engine to help slow me down. And on the G it's even fun since it has auto rev-match.
To the OP, make sure you set aside ~$2K for a new clutch sometime in the near future. Possibly more depending on other driveline damage
Yeah he should get more used to driving his MT before trying to do some racing with it. Even if you know what you're doing, abuse is abuse.

Quick Reply: my 6Mt drivers I have a several questions