Sponsored By:

Help, my G has started squeaking over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 PM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help, my G has started squeaking over bumps

Hey guys,

My G has developed a 'squeaking' sound in the last few weeks and I'm not sure what's causing it. My car is a 2010 x Coupe with just over 40K miles on it. It sounds like it's something rubbery and I've been having difficulty isolating where it's coming from on the car. It seems to happen when I go over a larger bump and the car unweights, which leads me to believe it's something suspension-related, possibly bushings, but I'll leave that to the experts. The only after-market suspension mods I've got are Hotchkis Sways that were installed ~4 months ago. They are still bolted down tightly and as far as I know, still well-lubricated. I took two short video-clips of the noise to share and hopefully get advice.

Clip 1:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/tveKCJuhOMk?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

Clip 2:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/k-PzthW_d4Y?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

Please let me know if you have any insight for me and thanks for your help!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:31 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I get this type of sound every few months and fix it by re-lubing the Eibach sway bushings. It happens more frequently when it rains outside for a few days.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Holy radio voice Batman!

I'm with Mike on this. Possibly your Hotchkis sway bar bushings need lubrication. I have the same noise and I think that's what it is, I just haven't had time to lubricate them yet. It may be several weeks before I can tell you for certain because my wife's been driving my car to work out if town every week and will be for a few more.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
AllentownG37

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Holy radio voice Batman!
Hahaha You're not the first to tell me that. Maybe I should have gone into Radio work?

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give that a shot and see what happens -- hopefully this weekend & report back.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Can't say I have any idea of what it may be but the first thing that came to mind was your voice. Back Betty is right, what's batman doing driving a G.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:09 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it's the bushings on the sway bars. i have the same thing going over bumps on cold days. get some good silicone lubricant to put on the bushings where the sway bars are at.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM
AllentownG37

Originally Posted by jesse550
Back Betty is right, what's batman doing driving a G.
"You should see my other car."

Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 PM
AllentownG37

Hey guys,

I finally got around to greasing up my sway bars and that fixed the squeaking noise. I decided to go with a general purpose marine grease as it's supposed to be water-proof and corrosion-resistant. Just wanted to share my results for anyone else who might have this problem and thank those who helped me figure it out; I appreciate it!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Cool. I just lubricated mine as well last week and it did the trick for me too. I have Hotchkis sways and they have an integrated grease zerk. I went to HF and found a mini grease gun and some lubricant that appeared to be silicone based (it's been hard for me to find). Worked like a charm although the grease fitting sticks pretty tightly on the zerk and I had to really twist and pull to get it off. I guess that's good. Pretty cheap too.

Grease Gun with 3 Oz. Grease
85 Gram Super Lube Grease Cartridge
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
soundmike

Glad you got that figured out!

J, thanks for the tip, i might try that. The Amsoil i used doesn't seem to last very long despite what Amsoil says.

I might also try the gas line tape mod as well. Track junkies swear on the stuff.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Mike you are welcome to use my grease gun if you want. I don't remember what sways you have but if they have zerks it only takes a couple of squirts and it's done, you don't even have to take anything loose.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
soundmike

Thanks! Although, i have the Eibach's -- no zerk. Been contemplating adding some fittings though.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
CWorked like a charm although the grease fitting sticks pretty tightly on the zerk and I had to really twist and pull to get it off. I guess that's good.
Twist the grease gun tip counterclockwise until it fits very loosely, then twist clockwise until you get a snug, but not tight fit.
If the tip is too loose the pressure of the grease pushes the tip away from the zerk fitting.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL. I was watching the video thinking, "Is that my Lawyer?" LOL. Glad you got it fixed, bro!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 PM
AllentownG37

Cool. I just lubricated mine as well last week and it did the trick for me too. I have Hotchkis sways and they have an integrated grease zerk. I went to HF and found a mini grease gun and some lubricant that appeared to be silicone based (it's been hard for me to find). Worked like a charm although the grease fitting sticks pretty tightly on the zerk and I had to really twist and pull to get it off. I guess that's good. Pretty cheap too.

Grease Gun with 3 Oz. Grease
85 Gram Super Lube Grease Cartridge
Cool. I ended up using this stuff for grease:

I was surprised at the amount of corrosion around the bushings on mine. I'm pretty religious about washing my car after snowfalls here and it's been a mild winter. The stuff they put down on the roads is just incredibly corrosive. For you guys in the south, be glad you don't have to deal with that!

Jeremy, I'm surprised you had a hard time with your zerks. I used a similar grease gun and mine just slipped right onto the zerks (I've got Hotchkis too). Though, I haven't run grease through mine yet. Grease can't clog fittings, can it?

One more stupid question, but is there an easier way to get to the front bushings than removing the under-shroud? I'm considering taking a Dremel to it and makeing a few new holes, just figured I'd ask first. haha

Originally Posted by soundmike
Glad you got that figured out!

J, thanks for the tip, i might try that. The Amsoil i used doesn't seem to last very long despite what Amsoil says.

I might also try the gas line tape mod as well. Track junkies swear on the stuff.
Hey Mike, what is this gas line tape mod you speak of? I'm just curious.

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Twist the grease gun tip counterclockwise until it fits very loosely, then twist clockwise until you get a snug, but not tight fit.
If the tip is too loose the pressure of the grease pushes the tip away from the zerk fitting.
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely keep this in mind for future greasing.

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
LOL. I was watching the video thinking, "Is that my Lawyer?" LOL. Glad you got it fixed, bro!
Hah, well, I haven't gotten 'lawyer' before, that's definitely a first but thanks for the well-wishes.

-Gene

Last edited by AllentownG37; 03-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Help, my G has started squeaking over bumps