Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just found out my G is a Lemon!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 AM
AJbrooklyn19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found out my G is a Lemon!

Hey guys, i have never been on a forum site before this is my first time. But this has been keeping me up all night and need to get some opinions!!

To make a long story short, today i went to a BMW dealership (infiniti G is still my favorite but cant afford IPL) to get the trade-in value on my 2008 G37S, while i was waiting for my cars value, the manager called me into his office to show me a carfax stating the car was a LEMON, and it can not legally be sold or taken as a trade-in! I have had no prior knowledge of this, and the dealership i purchased the car from never mentioned any problems with the car, or had me sign any paperwork stating the car was a lemon/Buy-back. The GM of the BMW dealer said he has never seen something like this before, considering it is illegal to sell someone a lemon ( or i think atleadt!?) I dont want to post the dealerships name (yet) until i speak to a lawyer, has anyone else had an experience like this before??? and any advice, questions or comments are very welcome, im losing sleep over this and VERY aggravated the dealer did this to me...
Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Carfax is not 100% accurate. That's not to say what's on the report is right or wrong. I'd probably start by contacting the dealer you bought the car from, followed by infiniti customer care. You might also try your state's dmv. I'm not sure how buy backs are registered in the dmv's database, but it may help. Finally, consulting with an attorney may be the best route to go. You may even have a case against the original selling dealer.

It should be asked, was the car purchased new, used? If used, how many miles, how old... Details?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Before people chime in all saying you should have checked the carfax (which you probably should have) before you bought the car, there's hope for sure for you to get some money in return from the dealer. If you bought the car from a random no-name dealer, chances are they scammed you and I'm sure judges are aware of this kind of stuff so they'd probably rule in your favor if it went to court.

Before doing anything, what I suggest is getting your hands on your own copy of the carfax and verify that your car is a lemon. Not saying BMW can't read but s*#t happens and I'm sure your lawyer will ask for it.

If the seller was aware that the car was a lemon and sold you it, it is fraud for sure.(100%). Lemon cars may be unsafe to drive so you're looking at a good lawsuit if it gets that far.

Best advice I can give is, get the carfax asap (I believe it's $35) and talk to a lawyer (perhaps a lemon law attorney). If you can dig up ads for the car online, that may help as well (use google's cache feature if the site shows unlisted as an older copy of the page may have been stored in google's cache --- this is what I used to dig up my old ad).

Just stay relaxed! Don't stress too much, I'm sure it will get sorted out.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 AM
xxg00w0
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
what is lemon??
Old 02-02-2012, 01:38 AM
jesse550

Originally Posted by xxg00w0
what is lemon??
Pretty much a defective vehicle that can't be fixed or was attempted at repair ~3 times and still suffers a problem. Not sure if it's within a certain amount of time but I believe it's 2 years.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:45 AM
AJbrooklyn19

i bought the car used from an Infiniti dealership in new jersey (reputable dealer). Bought it used with 15k miles on it, its a 2008 i bought it in 2010. and yes stupid not to have got the carfax, i just could not imagine anything being wrong with at the time, i was also young and rushing to buy it. And i also have the carfax report already printed out, and will try to get it posted on here for you guys to see asap. Its funny because the salesmen kept giving me the bad vibe and was more or less acting like he did not want me to purchase the car, showing me other G's etc... i was just so excited i finally saved the money i was to young and stupid to be level headed. My honest gut feeling is that he knew..
Old 02-02-2012, 01:47 AM
AJbrooklyn19

I plan on calling a lemon-law attorney in the morning and explaining the situation before i speak to anyone involved with infiniti, just to make sure they dont do anything to cover their tracks before i can take legal action.. i will keep you guys posted on anything i find out
Old 02-02-2012, 01:48 AM
jesse550

Originally Posted by AJbrooklyn19
i bought the car used from an Infiniti dealership in new jersey (reputable dealer). Bought it used with 15k miles on it, its a 2008 i bought it in 2010. and yes stupid not to have got the carfax, i just could not imagine anything being wrong with at the time, i was also young and rushing to buy it. And i also have the carfax report already printed out, and will try to get it posted on here for you guys to see asap. Its funny because the salesmen kept giving me the bad vibe and was more or less acting like he did not want me to purchase the car, showing me other G's etc... i was just so excited i finally saved the money i was to young and stupid to be level headed. My honest gut feeling is that he knew..
You should call up the dealer and speak to a supervisor and discuss the issue with them, or ask if the supervisor is there and talk to him/her in person so they can't avoid the issue. If you bought it from an infiniti dealership and it's reputable, I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out. This may just be one of those cases where if you're nice enough to them, they'll be nice to you. Not that you would, but it may be a good idea not to go in there storming up the place with anger.

I went to Infiniti of Ramsey and they told me that they do not sell cars that have had an accident or a bad carfax (it was their key selling point) so it may have been an error or something.

Best of luck, hope you get it sorted out!

Side-note: did you get the car ridiculously underpriced at the time?

Thanks for keeping us updated! I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
it's probably a consumer buyback and not a lemon law car which is completely different.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your car is a "lemon", the dealer that sold it to you has to disclose it.

What the other dealer told you that it could not "legally" be sold or traded in is not exactly correct. They just do not want to buy it from you since it was a "lemon". They would have to disclose it to the next person they sell it to.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 AM
AJbrooklyn19

The car was actually in a flood, and was bought at a salvage auction by Infiniti. does that qualify it as a lemon? haha
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ajbrooklyn19
the car was actually in a flood, and was bought at a salvage auction by infiniti. Does that qualify it as a lemon? Haha
no......
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
da mayor

Originally Posted by AJbrooklyn19
The car was actually in a flood, and was bought at a salvage auction by Infiniti. does that qualify it as a lemon? haha
flood ?

thats a diffferent story thats a salvaged title then, not a lemon'ed car.

a lemon'ed car is if there are mechanical issues when the car was purchased new from the manufacturer
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 AM
da mayor

reputable infiniti dealers can't sell a salvaged vehicle... look on your title if it's cledan or not
Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 AM
AJbrooklyn19

I dont have all the paper work infront of me at the moment, but i will be getting everything together first thing in the a.m and post all the new findings, carfax,title, etc..

Quick Reply: Just found out my G is a Lemon!