Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rwd vs awd coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 AM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tejasg37x
Actually many independent track tests have shown the X to be faster around the track in wet and dry.
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
RWD will trump AWD at the racetrack but how often you take your G to the track? AWD is easier to drive on any kind of weather, it gives you the confidence that the *** end won't snap at you so it makes you a bit more aggressive on the corners. I have yet to drive a G37X but I have owned quite a few AWD cars in the past. One of the things I miss from my previous car is definitely the AWD.
going to have to agree with tejasg37x. i purposely bought the S because i wanted a rear-wheel drive stick shift, however going to have to say the AWD would win in a drag. from a dig, having all 4 wheel grip and help you move forward is going to work a lot better than just the 2 back where there is no weight to help get traction. A friend of mine has a 600HP AWD eclipse GSX and i can tell you from watching that thing at the strip, the awd is very beneficial when it comes to getting grip to get up and go
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GotAir523
going to have to agree with tejasg37x. i purposely bought the S because i wanted a rear-wheel drive stick shift, however going to have to say the AWD would win in a drag. from a dig, having all 4 wheel grip and help you move forward is going to work a lot better than just the 2 back where there is no weight to help get traction. A friend of mine has a 600HP AWD eclipse GSX and i can tell you from watching that thing at the strip, the awd is very beneficial when it comes to getting grip to get up and go
Should I been more clear. When I say track I mean road course, not a straight line.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM
jsp872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I been more clear. When I say track I mean road course, not a straight line.
uhh... even on a road course... im sure awd will be faster...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 PM
baileyrx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jsp872

+1,000,000 without a doubt...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 PM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by jsp872
Stock to stock the X should have a significant edge due to better grip on slow to mid speed corners. But the driving dynamics of RWD will always be better than AWD. If someone makes a full on track car out of an X and another out of a 7AT (to keep things fair) S, my money would be on the S given a competent driver. The reason why AWD seems to always handle better is because AWD is easier to push hard and it's more forgiving.

The fastest cars around a racetrack are all RWD. There's a reason for that. Once you start adding very sticky tires and downforce, the AWD grip advantage pretty much disappears and becomes a disadvantage. Especially at high speeds.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
If the awd is so much better in every regard, we do many still prefer a rwd?

Sure the awd weighs more and gets poorer mpg, but aside from these negatives why the preference toward rwd?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Stock to stock the X should have a significant edge due to better grip on slow to mid speed corners. But the driving dynamics of RWD will always be better than AWD. If someone makes a full on track car out of an X and another out of a 7AT (to keep things fair) S, my money would be on the S given a competent driver. The reason why AWD seems to always handle better is because AWD is easier to push hard and it's more forgiving.

The fastest cars around a racetrack are all RWD. There's a reason for that. Once you start adding very sticky tires and downforce, the AWD grip advantage pretty much disappears and becomes a disadvantage. Especially at high speeds.
Bugatti awd can do 254 mph. Since most of our daily commutes are not on the track, awd makes sense.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 PM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Bugatti awd can do 254 mph. Since most of our daily commutes are not on the track, awd makes sense.
I did say this earlier. AWD makes more sense for day to day driving. Since public roads hardly resemble perfect racetrack conditions. If there was an XS available when I bought my G I would have gone with the xS without hesitation.

Also the Veyron has 1000 hp and straight line is not what we're talking about here. And I bet that if the Veyron was RWD, its top speed would be higher. Even on a straight line, AWD is a disadvantage after the holeshot.