Sponsored By:

Top Secret/AIT Front Bumper Question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
This may never end.

So if the answer to people who think authentic parts are too expensive and are worried about destroying the part is "dont mod your car" then the JDM company still does not get the business. How is that any different then that same person buying a replica part? JDM company is still not getting the business. Chances are the people buying the replica parts would not buy the JDM parts even if they were the only option because of price so really they are not the JDM companies market anyway. Personally I think it comes down to knowing your client demographics and focusing your marketing on the correct people not whining about the people who were never in your client demographic to begin with.
You are right. There is no end in sight to this debate, but I don't see that as a reason to not have the discussion. (And, again, I have noticed this thread has taken a turn, so I will not post anymore with my views on JDM/knock-offs, but I started typing this before the current trend of conversation began...)

Your position is one way to look at the knock-off situation. My stance is somewhat different. When I suggest that people should not modify their cars if they are going to do it with parts from a company that has stolen the design of a real innovator, it is not necessarily about the Japanese company getting the money of the consumer. It is about perpetuating the idea that it is okay to cut corners with your builds. No, you choosing a replica or no part at all is not going to put money in the hands of the otherwise deserving Japanese company, but it is also not going to put the money in the hands of that unoriginal company who ripped off the real innovator's design, either. It is not going to produce a final product that some stance website who has no passion vested into JDM culture is going to 'feature' for an impressionable "enthusiast" to see and, as a result, think it is okay to modify his car in the same fashion, and further harm the true innovators of the industry. And so on and so on... I don't think of it as "whining" to suggest that replica and knock-off companies are harming the industry.

If these replica and knock-off companies are so great and are genuinely interested in helping and providing for the consumers, then why are they not developing their own designs for us and giving us more options? I listed in a post above some of the reputable Japanese companies that BAUS Auto has already undermined with their knock-off body kits. If I am not mistaken, between the Z and G, there are 12 of them. Twelve copies of JDM body kits and not one original design from this company.

In my opinion, the "I have to have it now and I don't want to work for it" mentality is right in line with buying replica parts. As I posted above, I believe paying credit where it is due. I suppose I also subscribe to the doctrine that if something is worth having, it is worth working for. It is sad that some are not willing to work for a complete project of which they can be proud. Instead, they cut corners to have it now so as to impress a mass of people that, frankly, knows no better. The worst part? On sites such as this forum, those are the cars that are praised most often.

Again, I have nothing personal against those who choose to do modify this way. These are just my opinions. Because of my respect and passion for JDM, I believe in supporting originality and defending authenticity.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 PM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
@ryan... Ohh man, I don't even wanna think about that... Haha I'm getting my coils and wheels installed this week too, I'm scared to come home now... Haha but good thing I'm getting my own place in 2 monthes and my parts won't come in from Japan for another monthes so my mom don't need to see my car!