G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Top Secret/AIT Front Bumper Question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Please excuse my brief post, as I am on my phone, but to address Mike... I know all too well about freight, duties, taxes, and handling from Japan. My own experiences with my personal projects aside, I have to explain it to every person who comes to me looking for a quote. Also, I cannot guarantee 100% perfect fitment on every single JDM part, either. That is not feasible. Furthermore, I am privy to the wholesale prices on the JDM parts for which I get quotes for customers. Believe me, we are not making a boatload of cash with the sale of every authentic part sold. As I have stressed before, I believe something should be said for business ethics, principles, and integrity. Quite simply, these companies profiting from knock-offs and replicas have none. The desire to put a dollar in their pocket overrides any passion or respect for the JDM industry.

On top of that, pirated music, movies, and software is not "accepted." It is illegal and people are punished when they are caught using or contributing to it. Thus, the FBI warning at the beginning of every DVD you watch, or the policing of websites such as Napster and Limewire.

Ryan, I am happy to help. Shoot me an e-mail. Bill@Bulletproofautomotive.com
Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jdm companies will alway be making new kits, and people will keep replicating. Both will make money so they will both keep doing it.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Please excuse my brief post, as I am on my phone, but to address Mike... I know all too well about freight, duties, taxes, and handling from Japan. My own experiences with my personal projects aside, I have to explain it to every person who comes to me looking for a quote. Also, I cannot guarantee 100% perfect fitment on every single JDM part, either. That is not feasible. Furthermore, I am privy to the wholesale prices on the JDM parts for which I get quotes for customers. Believe me, we are not making a boatload of cash with the sale of every authentic part sold. As I have stressed before, I believe something should be said for business ethics, principles, and integrity. Quite simply, these companies profiting from knock-offs and replicas have none. The desire to put a dollar in their pocket overrides any passion or respect for the JDM industry.

On top of that, pirated music, movies, and software is not "accepted." It is illegal and people are punished when they are caught using or contributing to it. Thus, the FBI warning at the beginning of every DVD you watch, or the policing of websites such as Napster and Limewire.

Ryan, I am happy to help. Shoot me an e-mail. Bill@Bulletproofautomotive.com
The Copy Culture Survey: Infringement and Enforcement in the US | Media Piracy | The American Assembly

As much of a supporter I am of authentic parts, even Bulletproof has concluded that there is no market for authentic parts on this forum, and does not sponsor myg37. In other words, you guys don't believe the small sponsorship price generates a return that makes it worthwhile to be here.

Why doesn't Bulletproof go after these replica companies on the original companies' behalf? Imagine the money that could be made if you actually cornered the market. Unfortunately, someone new will always come in with a fly-by-night operation.

Last edited by Mike; 01-17-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow you guys do know that this whole argument goes both ways right? The Americans would make something, Japan would make a knock off cheap and ship it to the US at a discounted price because of cheap labor. Taiwan and the China took that over but Japan still does it (just with better knock offs). Now you guys are saying it's wrong for US companies to do this to the Japanese? So supporting AIT which is made in the USA is wrong. Whatever that is a pretty screwed up way of looking at things.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This argument wont end. It always starts up sooner or later. But in my case, I purchased ait. I would love to get the read top secret products. But spending 1000 on a front lip thats going to crack sometime isnt worth it imo. A bit ago I was exiting a center and cracked my front lip a bit. Now I paid 280 for that lip, so i wasnt that mad. If I had paid 1000 for that I would have threw a fit. The fact that these companies are going under because of companies like ait is still wrong. But in the end im just watching out for myself.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:55 AM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Originally Posted by Tazicon
Wow you guys do know that this whole argument goes both ways right? The Americans would make something, Japan would make a knock off cheap and ship it to the US at a discounted price because of cheap labor. Taiwan and the China took that over but Japan still does it (just with better knock offs). Now you guys are saying it's wrong for US companies to do this to the Japanese? So supporting AIT which is made in the USA is wrong. Whatever that is a pretty screwed up way of looking at things.
I know right??? Whom gives a fvck!!!!!!!!!!!! Btw although some companies replicate kits in the US, AIT is not made in the US I believe, and that's another thing! Alot our replicas is made from China & Taiwan etc anyway so go hate on them. They're the ones making it and selling it to countries all over the world include the US, and just because someone makes a living off it down here doesn't make them un-ethical, bad-businessman, and w no morals or however ppl want to put them.

Originally Posted by Doggy
This argument wont end. It always starts up sooner or later. But in my case, I purchased ait. I would love to get the read top secret products. But spending 1000 on a front lip thats going to crack sometime isnt worth it imo. A bit ago I was exiting a center and cracked my front lip a bit. Now I paid 280 for that lip, so i wasnt that mad. If I had paid 1000 for that I would have threw a fit. The fact that these companies are going under because of companies like ait is still wrong. But in the end im just watching out for myself.
Amen. I rather spend that money on b!tchez and alcohol and bottle service at the club lmfao.

PS. It's not even an argument anymore, it's more just an opinion of someone not liking the fact that others buy replica kit. I can go make a wholesale account with VIS etc and go sell a kit too, oh no now I'm a thief.

Plus, saying these negative things to companies like calling them a thief or whatever is like going to a drug dealer and going 0o0o0 your a drug dealer, a criminal, it'll be like duh and hes probably sure damn proud of it lol
Old 01-17-2012, 03:07 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
^ sounds like a trick to me... I rather spend "my" monies on the car & have the "b!tchez" give me their money to buy myself alcohol & bottle service... Come on man where's your game??? lmfao
Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 AM
G37Rider92649
Banned

lol this foooo. if the ladiez do that for you than cudos player
Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm just messing with you man. Just bored this topics exhausting we all have our views. I think Tazicon made a good point it's whatever to me I'm done taking sides. It's all personal preference we all drive the same car & can probably afford the same parts. Others just choose to do different things with their monies.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 AM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Originally Posted by RYs06MT
I'm just messing with you man. Just bored this topics exhausting we all have our views. I think Tazicon made a good point it's whatever to me I'm done taking sides. It's all personal preference we all drive the same car & can probably afford the same parts. Others just choose to do different things with their monies.
I think that is one of the most logical post in this whole thread lol

Speaking of money, I need some, someone buy my TS Rear and Sides!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 AM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
But the problem is that the people with replicas will try to pass them off as real. I'll go with the one item that all ppl with replicas try to dupe people, the TE37 and CE28N replicas. These people have the ***** to add Volk center caps and stickers to their Rota and Vorstoien(i dont care how u spell it) wheels.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 PM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
^... i cant stand that.....
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
But the problem is that the people with replicas will try to pass them off as real. I'll go with the one item that all ppl with replicas try to dupe people, the TE37 and CE28N replicas. These people have the ***** to add Volk center caps and stickers to their Rota and Vorstoien(i dont care how u spell it) wheels.
Ok now that is just super ghetto lol true true
Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 PM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
As tacky as that is, the only way it is a "problem" is if these people try to market the item as the real deal. Who gives a flying fvck if they put Volk center caps on their knockoff rims? Let them do their own thing. But once they rip someone off by selling it to them as an authentic part, it's time to tear them a new one.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
It is apparent that this thread has gone awry and quite a bit off-track. Some of the responses are ridiculous and illustrate just how misinformed many people are. Nonetheless, I believe this debate is a worthy topic. I know I am not making many friends in my efforts to support originality and defend authenticity, but this issue is important. I maintain no malicious intent towards any of the pro-replica parties in this thread. It is not personal. I am simply trying to inform...

To answer the question about Bulletproof becoming a sponsor, that is completely up to me. No big decision was handed down from the President of BPA that it was not worth it financially for us to become a sponsor/vendor on here. I don't know where that came from.

That said, I believe if people are educated about this stuff more and more people may choose to buy authentic parts over knock-offs and replicas. Yes, there are plenty of people who will continue to cut corners with their builds, buy replica and knock-off parts and, thus, contribute to the destruction of JDM in the United States, but this thread is a perfect example of just how many people do not realize what effect purchasing replica parts has on the industry. It is no secret. The amount of parts coming from Japan into the United States has decreased over the past 5-10 years. Yes, a poor economy and fluctuating exchange rate plays a role in that, absolutely, but the effect of these knock-off and replica companies is real. I am not making it up. I have been fortunate enough to be involved with this stuff from the inside. If we can enlighten some people and help them to make educated decisions in regards to modifying their cars, then I think this thread had served a purpose.

To address the suggestion that supporting the companies of the Japanese Domestic Market, as opposed to companies like AIT, is somehow anti-American is absolutely ludicrous. It is about supporting the innovators of the industry and denouncing the companies who steal their designs. Do I have to remind the person who made that claim that he is driving a Japanese car? Do you know that 0% of the parts on your Infiniti G37 were made in America? (Made in America: Most and Least American Cars - ABC News)

Does owning this car make you anti-American? Of course not. Just as supporting the true innovators of our industry in Japan, as opposed to the fly-by-night companies looking to make a dollar in the US, is not, in some way, anti-American. When these Japanese companies learn of their products getting knock-off, the first place they look is right here in the US. I will say it again, supporting the real innovators and originality in our industry has absolutely zero to do with being anti-American. That is just plain absurd.

How about this hypothetical? I don't know how realistic this scenario is, but you will get the idea...

What if you are a graduate student at a highly competitive university. You go to class every day. You take copious notes. You attend study groups. You talk to your professors outside of the classroom. You study late. In short, you are prepared. You work. You devote yourself to excelling. And it shows. You do well. Your buddy, however, is living it up. He rarely attends class. He does not study. He doesn't pass in his assignments on time. He never attends study groups or seeks out his professor for guidance. When it comes time to write your term paper, you are prepared. You have done your research. You spend months researching, learning, drafting, writing, and re-writing. You know what it will take to succeed; to earn an 'A'. Thus, you write a stellar essay. Shortly before you are to hand it in, your buddy, looking to get ahead, logs into your computer and changes the name on the top of the paper. He puts his name on it and proceeds to take credit for your original work. You did the research. You put in the work. You devoted yourself. You put in the time, the effort, the sweat, and the tears. You did all the legwork. It shows because you wrote an essay of which you are proud and looking forward to handing in to your professor. However, your buddy is the one who will reap the benefits of your hard work. He succeeds. Would you be okay with it? Do you just shrug it off and say, "Oh well. That's just how it goes."?

I don't think you would... Again, maybe not the most realistic example, but it is an instance in which one person does all the work only for the other person to come in, unethically steal what they had no part in creating, exemplify zero originality, and not only profit from it, but harm the deserving party in the process.

Finally, for those saying they do not want to damage their parts and find themselves upset because they spent a lot of money on it, it's simple... Don't modify your car. If you are not willing to deal with the consequences of modifying, then you shouldn't be doing it. In choosing to support a company that has done zero by way of design or innovation simply because it may save you a few dollars, you are only hurting the industry. I cannot stress this enough.

Many of you are right... This debate will go on forever. The people who rock fake parts will continue to defend the knock-off companies. The people who believe in representing the real and defending authenticity will continue to try to educate. For that to work, we need to stop perpetuating the ideal that it is okay to modify with knock-off parts. That starts by refusing to "feature" cars on websites, magazine, and blogs that have cut corners with replica and knock-off parts. It starts by maybe saving for a few weeks longer to buy authentic. It starts by not casting a vote for a 'G of the Month' that is sporting an AIT body kit.

FIXED:
Originally Posted by G37Rider92649
Speaking of money, I need some, someone buy my fake TS Rear and Sides!

Quick Reply: Top Secret/AIT Front Bumper Question!