Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Top Secret/AIT Front Bumper Question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Jadex...

This debate is not about a "JDM Junky's" car being, in any way, superior to your car. Opinions are subjective. Many people on this forum have "favorite" cars that are riddled with cheap, replica, or knock-off parts. That is not the debate here.

You are free to spend your money on whatever products you like. It is your money. You earned it. You can choose to put it in the pocket of a company that has done absolutely nothing in terms of design, market research, or R&D by purchasing their unoriginal product or you can choose to save up for a little longer and pay the true mastermind behind the part.

I am not here to say that you are not entitled to buy knock-off parts. Simply, I want to stress that you are misinformed - as are many of those who support replicas and knock-offs. Your rationale is flawed.

First, an issue I take with your above statement is comparing knock-off aero products to generic drugs. I don't see it like that because with generic drugs, the original, innovating company has exclusive rights to that drug. That drug is developed under patent protection. This gives the company protection and the sole rights to the investment of the drug's development. Only when that patent expires are other manufacturers allowed to apply to the FDA to sell a generic version. Even then, the FDA has to approve that manufacturer. So, selling replica aero parts is not exactly the same as selling generic drugs.

But more germane to the issue at hand... It is no secret that the volume of parts being produced in Japan has drastically decreased over the past five years. It is fact. Look at the aftermarket for the G. Everyone complains that there are limited parts for our cars. Why do you think that is? Because companies in Japan spend tens of thousands of dollars researching and designing aero components only to have them copied within a few months of a handful of the originals being sold. When companies struggle to make back their initial investment into these products (let alone make a profit), they are going to think twice about doing it again. Thus, the lack of parts coming out of Japan. The sad part? The better the design, the more it hurts those companies because the quicker it will be knocked-off by a fly-by-night company looking to make a dollar off of someone else's hard work and proven design.

People love to bad-mouth the originators for not being "competitive" with their pricing or suggesting that their prices are ridiculously high. Think of it this way... When it is costing the original companies tens of thousands of dollars to create an original design front bumper and they are charging $1,000 for that bumper, it is apples to oranges. You cannot compare that to the knock-off company selling a bumper for $500. It's a completely different business model. The knock-off company does zero by way of design. Putting aside the fact that the quality is almost never the same as the original, consider the fact that it likely cost BAUS Auto $100 to produce your bumper. They then charge you, what, $400? They are making a 300% profit on the sale of one bumper. Who is the company ripping off their customers?

This stuff is real. It is a sad state of affairs for JDM in the United States when people are proudly rocking replicas and knock-offs. We perpetuate the notion that it is okay to rock fake parts when we praise them on our forums and feature them on different websites and magazines. We even have people dubbing themselves "trendsetters" when their actions of sporting knock-off parts completely fly in the face of the very definition of setting any sort of trend. People need to realize that by saving a few dollars now by putting their money into the hands of these companies who have made their way by cashing in on someone else's ingenuity and originality, instead of those of the deserving party, they are only hurting the industry that, as an enthusiast, they claim to love.

The facts are there. Where will JDM in the US be in another five years? Then, where will BAUS Auto be?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 AM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My understanding is that all the RWB are custom and unique in a different way. So if you have the connection and money one can have RWB make a custom one off kit for whichever car one desires. Unless I'm mistaken and they make parts with inventory numbers
Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Jadex153

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RYs06MT
SORT OF... you don't have the sides, hood, grill, or rear. It's actually going to look rather silly until you can pony up a few bucks to buy the rest, the Z-Style replica will not look right AT ALL with the regular G37 sides/rear/grill.

Your car will remind me of those V6 Mustangs with a Cobra front bumper cover and 0 other mods. They actually get laughed at, like I'm sure most here will do after you post your photos, and if you're on stock wheels .. I'd wait IIWY.....

I'm in no way knocking "YOU" or domestic made parts, I've seen quality U.S. built car mods, Stillen, GTM, Fast Intentions, Bassani, Magnaflow, Steeda, SMS, Saleen, Mopar.. but you didn't but that, you bought a low quality knock off from a garage vendor who doesn't even have a business line and opperates with his cell phone, the only one "WINNING" in your situation IMO is BAUS Auto, who overcharged you on their lesser quality material, and the bodyshop that overcharged you (in your own words).

I guess the saying is true, 'a sucker is born every day', I'm glad I'm not one.
Well, being that the Zele body kit is basically the same as an OEM front end with a lip on the bottom and splitters in the slightly larger grills, I doubt very much that they are in the same league. But, if you feel the need to laugh, then by all means do so. I am very happy with my car and you'll forgive me for not shedding any tears over the fact that it didn't get RYs6mt's personal seal of approval. But, like any other hobby, it's a constant work in progress. I'm sure that there will be more to come.
But, at least I can say that I have better things to do than bully people on message boards.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 AM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think now is an appropriate time to start posting "IBTL"
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadex153
Any industry 10-15 years ago to now sucks. That's the general economy. I can safely say, however, that by buying parts from over here that I'm supporting the U.S. economy by supporting U.S. body and custom shops. That aside, feel free to belittle away. If you don't like my front end or don't agree with me not spending a small mint on my car's body, then don't look at it. I'm getting married in 9 months and I also make my own way in the world. So if you are deluded enough to think that I owe you any explanations, sir, regarding my actions....
Homeboy had some questions regarding AIT body kits, so I directed him to an alternative that I found to be a very pleasant experience. Sorry that JDM junkies take such offense to conversations such as this, but not everyone feels (<-putting it mildly) the way you do about fiberglass and shifter *****. Would I buy ARC exhaust instead of HKS? Count on it. Am I happy with my ASA rims in favor of Vossen's or Volk's, every day of the week. And does my G still turn heads, no matter what street I turn down? Yes, sir. She does indeed. So if JDM is what you need to feel validated, then again, by all means lol.
u don't owe anyone any explanations, so u dont have to defend ur stand like that.. this topic has already been beaten to death on this forum countless times.

and btw it's ARK not ARC. and Vossen =/= Volk.

btw turning heads whichever street u drive down is not relevant to the point in view.

Maybe if u've seen or owned authentic zele kit or authentic top secret kit, then u can let me know if u feel what u pay is what u get...

i think it's unfair to say something is overpriced if u feel it.. but u actually don't know it because u never owned it?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadex153
Well, being that the Zele body kit is basically the same as an OEM front end with a lip on the bottom and splitters in the slightly larger grills, I doubt very much that they are in the same league. But, if you feel the need to laugh, then by all means do so. I am very happy with my car and you'll forgive me for not shedding any tears over the fact that it didn't get RYs6mt's personal seal of approval. But, like any other hobby, it's a constant work in progress. I'm sure that there will be more to come.
But, at least I can say that I have better things to do than bully people on message boards.
You don't need my approval on anything. I've said it twice I'm not here to bash you ine bit.
I just said "If I were you" I'd wait till I got the sides, or even some wheels before posting pictures. I'd say the same about any aftermarket front bumper cover on a completely stock car, or people posting 19" wheels with thick tires and no drop, don't take it personally.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Jadex...

This debate is not about a "JDM Junky's" car being, in any way, superior to your car. Opinions are subjective. Many people on this forum have "favorite" cars that are riddled with cheap, replica, or knock-off parts. That is not the debate here.

You are free to spend your money on whatever products you like. It is your money. You earned it. You can choose to put it in the pocket of a company that has done absolutely nothing in terms of design, market research, or R&D by purchasing their unoriginal product or you can choose to save up for a little longer and pay the true mastermind behind the part.

I am not here to say that you are not entitled to buy knock-off parts. Simply, I want to stress that you are misinformed - as are many of those who support replicas and knock-offs. Your rationale is flawed.

First, an issue I take with your above statement is comparing knock-off aero products to generic drugs. I don't see it like that because with generic drugs, the original, innovating company has exclusive rights to that drug. That drug is developed under patent protection. This gives the company protection and the sole rights to the investment of the drug's development. Only when that patent expires are other manufacturers allowed to apply to the FDA to sell a generic version. Even then, the FDA has to approve that manufacturer. So, selling replica aero parts is not exactly the same as selling generic drugs.

But more germane to the issue at hand... It is no secret that the volume of parts being produced in Japan has drastically decreased over the past five years. It is fact. Look at the aftermarket for the G. Everyone complains that there are limited parts for our cars. Why do you think that is? Because companies in Japan spend tens of thousands of dollars researching and designing aero components only to have them copied within a few months of a handful of the originals being sold. When companies struggle to make back their initial investment into these products (let alone make a profit), they are going to think twice about doing it again. Thus, the lack of parts coming out of Japan. The sad part? The better the design, the more it hurts those companies because the quicker it will be knocked-off by a fly-by-night company looking to make a dollar off of someone else's hard work and proven design.

People love to bad-mouth the originators for not being "competitive" with their pricing or suggesting that their prices are ridiculously high. Think of it this way... When it is costing the original companies tens of thousands of dollars to create an original design front bumper and they are charging $1,000 for that bumper, it is apples to oranges. You cannot compare that to the knock-off company selling a bumper for $500. It's a completely different business model. The knock-off company does zero by way of design. Putting aside the fact that the quality is almost never the same as the original, consider the fact that it likely cost BAUS Auto $100 to produce your bumper. They then charge you, what, $400? They are making a 300% profit on the sale of one bumper. Who is the company ripping off their customers?

This stuff is real. It is a sad state of affairs for JDM in the United States when people are proudly rocking replicas and knock-offs. We perpetuate the notion that it is okay to rock fake parts when we praise them on our forums and feature them on different websites and magazines. We even have people dubbing themselves "trendsetters" when their actions of sporting knock-off parts completely fly in the face of the very definition of setting any sort of trend. People need to realize that by saving a few dollars now by putting their money into the hands of these companies who have made their way by cashing in on someone else's ingenuity and originality, instead of those of the deserving party, they are only hurting the industry that, as an enthusiast, they claim to love.

The facts are there. Where will JDM in the US be in another five years? Then, where will BAUS Auto be?

Quoted for truth. and /thread
Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Jadex153

Jadex...

Your points are rational and I concede to a lengthy degree. I debated for months over where to put my money in regards to body design, weighing these very issues. Ultimately, it came down to cost over effectiveness. I understand that there are flaws in the ethics of aftermarket parts these days. But it ultimately came back to what, me, as a person was willing to spend on this project. Frankly, I don't do a whole lot of mods to my car as I paid for the car its self completely out of pocket and I find it difficult to rationalize spending potentially thousands more on it. If that makes me a villain in some peoples eyes, then I'm sorry. But it is what it is. I am glad that some people have the conviction and the budget to spend on such things. And while the conviction was certainly an issue, practicality won out in the end. If, one day when I have the funds available, an original design that I am partial to roll out that's native to the U.S., then I might very well jump on it. Until then, however, I am happy with my purchase and I can't wait to put pics up tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
IF you want TS and are worried about FG and its durability...go through ONEighty. they have TS replica polyurithane lips that the fitment is DEAD ON and for $500-, and VERY high quality.

Only two places I would order replica parts would be autokits and ONEighty. Others all of their parts have HORRIBLE quality, and fitment is wayyyyyy off. You end up spending more just in fitment and trying to fix material flaws then you would in spending for authentic parts.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

^ I definitely agree with so much of what you preach and with your thought process on buying authentic. I honestly hate that I rock a replica kit but in all honesty, did not like what I heard about even trying to get the authentic top secret kit anymore and knew I would need to mold it to be happy with it so I went with an option that I did not like but I also did not like my other choices. I honestly will look to purchase any auth. TS kit that comes from a part-out or anyone selling one once my build is finished to pay homeage to the creators as well and hopefully one comes up.

BUT... I have asked before and never was made clear where these tens of thousands of dollars that it costs to apparently create these original designs... Please explain further if you can. It simply does not seem right to me and with that being said, a more competitive cost could easy convert replica purchasers into JDM'ers that scoff at the thought of the replicas just like others. They would then, have an actual return on their investment compared to the losing business that you seem to think they run due to replicas being created right away and emphatically purchased instead of the original due to cost savings...

If you read the original article (and I know you have but others should read as well) from the guy who is now or was at least the only way you can purchase authentic TS kits in the USA (John maybe?), you will see his experience and even the time it took them to create the original TS kit for our cars was within a few weeks it seemed... And it is simply a lip for the front (I understand the sides and rear are full though)... I guess I just dont see where tens of thousands of dollars could have gone into this...

(Edit: John Leigh... Article: GUEST BLOG: JOHN LEIGH>> TOP SECRET G37 - Speedhunters )

And if Autokits X could jump in and confirm that they spend tens of thousands of dollars to create their completely original designs to us as well then it might be a little more clear to me. Autokits X has produced more original designs as far as body kits go for our cars than any other company if I count correctly... So, I quess I want to be straightened out on that so I can fully commit to such regret. Also, either way I think any fan of authentic should serve more praise to Autokits X for that point alone, but they do sell replicas that other companies produce (not them) from their shop though so I could see where that could conflict with the beliefs of some...

Again, I think that most are misinformed and having all of the correct information is what is most important and then let the chips/decisions of people, fall where they may...
Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
AUTOKITS-X
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi-City-G
And if Autokits X could jump in and confirm that they spend tens of thousands of dollars to create their completely original designs to us as well then it might be a little more clear to me. Autokits X has produced more original designs as far as body kits go for our cars than any other company if I count correctly... So, I quess I want to be straightened out on that so I can fully commit to such regret. Also, either way I think any fan of authentic should serve more praise to Autokits X for that point alone, but they do sell replicas that other companies produce (not them) from their shop though so I could see where that could conflict with the beliefs of some...

Again, I think that most are misinformed and having all of the correct information is what is most important and then let the chips/decisions of people, fall where they may...

I dont want to bash any companies, but realistically we spend alot of time and money making our own products. You cant compare a company that makes products here in the US were the cost is greater, then a company that works overseas.

If it was all about the money, we would be buying all original parts and making replicas, but that is not the case, we stick to our original design. Our goal is to stick out, and be different then every other company, and we stand behind our products.

Autokits X is a small company, not a huge company like most think, and our goal is to grow day by day. It is very dificult to compete with bigger companies when they are selling replicas at a cheaper rate, and not to mention that it really hurts the market.

A change that took place starting this year, we started adding a small name plate in the back of our products, which consists of the product description, and product number, because all Autokits X products are pattened.
This idea came up because we noticed that other companies are trying to replicate some of our products. At the end of the day it is up to the customer if they want to buy original or replica parts. Our job is to provide customers with the best quality product, not try to compete with a company selling replicas, because replicas will always cost ALOT less money, but you will surely see the difference. We cant forget that cheaper isn't always better.

Some people will say, " Well why do you support AIT products?"
Originally, we were selling those bumpers, but disclaimed to the customer that the product is a replica and the fitment is not the best. We will need to update our website with the new products and take off any other replica item(s), because we understand how selling replicas affects other companies.
I hope the other companies dont take me wrong, everyone is free to do as they please, but we would like to see more companies making their own designs, and products. That would give the customer a greater variety to chose from, and ultimately get more customers in the future.
This year Autokits X will be producing alot more original parts for the enthusiasts.

I'm just sharing my thoughts and opinions. Please dont think that we are hear to bash any company, or put anyone out on the spot. We speak for ourselves when we say that we are here to grow and continue to develop our own products to give the enthusiasts more of a variety.

Thanks,
Autokits X
Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Jadex153

^^This, IMHO, is another example of a well thought out rationale. Both arguments hold a lot of merit.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
I want to state again that I agree with Autokits X and love them for what they are doing and I thank them endlessly for being a part of our community and would again stress that they are possibly the largest contributors to our community when it comes to original and authentically researched, designed, and made products. I think they do not get enough recognition for what Alex is doing down there! I have purchased many products from A X and will to continue to do so!

My main point is not to put Autokits X against the companies that spring up and sell replicas. My point is to put Autokits X against the pedestalled JDM aftermarket kit makers and understand better why it costs so much more for a Japanese company to produce a new said kit.

I absolutely understand that Autokits X puts a lot of time, R&D, and money into their original products and it shows in their quality and happy customers. I know that it is not cheap to do so and a lot of risk is involved if they go through with producing a product that is not well received by modders as they will take a loss just like any true producing authentic company would. And as you see from their response, that even they can be riddled by other companies that will knock-off even their products. I guess the biggest thing I want to understand is the tens of thousands or dollars number...

So, WPPJR30, since I know you have researched this and would have the best answer, please let us know so we can understand better.

I would argue that a company like Autokits X has positioned themselves in the market in a way that more people than not would not buy a knockoff over the original of theirs as the original is already very competitively priced and of great quality... It is much easier to stand by something when it makes sense. Please help make it make sense to us as a community...
Old 01-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Jadex153

I just picked up my car from the shop a couple of hours ago. When my fiancee' dropped me off, I walked up and took a good look at her. I was quite satisfied with the work. While I was inside finalizing my transaction, I glanced behind me, and through the window, I noticed one of the body shop guys with a professional grade camera taking pictures to put up on their website. They said it was the first car that they felt the need to photograph. Anyway, they emailed them to me so, as promised, I now bring them to you. I will take more detailed shots of the seems and such at a later date. But for now, this is what I've got....

DSC_0005.jpg picture by USS_Stormfury - Photobucket

DSC_0007.jpg picture by USS_Stormfury - Photobucket

DSC_0008.jpg picture by USS_Stormfury - Photobucket

DSC_0009.jpg picture by USS_Stormfury - Photobucket

Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi-City-G
I want to state again that I agree with Autokits X and love them for what they are doing and I thank them endlessly for being a part of our community and would again stress that they are possibly the largest contributors to our community when it comes to original and authentically researched, designed, and made products. I think they do not get enough recognition for what Alex is doing down there! I have purchased many products from A X and will to continue to do so!

My main point is not to put Autokits X against the companies that spring up and sell replicas. My point is to put Autokits X against the pedestalled JDM aftermarket kit makers and understand better why it costs so much more for a Japanese company to produce a new said kit.

I absolutely understand that Autokits X puts a lot of time, R&D, and money into their original products and it shows in their quality and happy customers. I know that it is not cheap to do so and a lot of risk is involved if they go through with producing a product that is not well received by modders as they will take a loss just like any true producing authentic company would. And as you see from their response, that even they can be riddled by other companies that will knock-off even their products. I guess the biggest thing I want to understand is the tens of thousands or dollars number...

So, WPPJR30, since I know you have researched this and would have the best answer, please let us know so we can understand better.

I would argue that a company like Autokits X has positioned themselves in the market in a way that more people than not would not buy a knockoff over the original of theirs as the original is already very competitively priced and of great quality... It is much easier to stand by something when it makes sense. Please help make it make sense to us as a community...
Mad props to Autokits-X for what they do day in and day out I don't mind replica parts but that's just not something I would put on my own car. There is a lot of 37 out here that rock replica parts and they look damn good to say the least! I'm sure Bill will eventually chime in and answer the question.

I just wanted to give props to AK-X for making every aftermarket body part my G currently has and for keeping the innovation alive

To the OP_ As I said before, only replica TS lip i would recommend is the one made by OneEighty. A good friend of mine has it and fitment/quality is definitely on point! If you want to go the authentic route but don't want to break the bank then Autokits-X surely has what you need

Quick Reply: Top Secret/AIT Front Bumper Question!