G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Top Secret/AIT Front Bumper Question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 PM
xtremeroller

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pics or it never existed, happened, or occurred!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadex153
^sure, if you think $1,300 is reasonable for the body kit. Personally, I don't. It's as simple as that.

@BL1024 I will have pics up as soon as she comes out of the shop tomorrow. They let me see the fitment before they sent her in to paint so that I could give it my good graces. But they still had to sand it, fill the license plate bracket holes, prime it and then apply the tri-stage paint. They wanted to take their time to do a good job, as per my wishes. She'll be ready for pick up tomorrow between 4 and 5 EST. So I got the assembly, got it shipped, painted and mounted for $800. And its every bit as pretty as the JDM assembly. :-)
I personally think it's fair on what they're asking for, I've seen plenty of domestic fiberglass work and it's nothing like the Authentic Zele Aero parts. High quality material, every bolt, clip fit's so as the undertray. Well hey, that's your car and you like rocking "fake" parts. Be my guest!
Originally Posted by jetg37s
Did you pay $450 shipped for the front bumper + $800 to get it painted and installed? or $800 for everything?

Because if you paid $1,250 for just the front bumper you could easilly buy the original ZELE front bumper and get it paint for only $250-$300.

I wonder what people will say "I have the Zele bumper" or " Z style bumper"
+1! I'm sure some of them will call it Zele Aero
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
OP_ I'm not advocate for replicas but If you must then get the one that 180custom makes. It's made out of Polyurethane and has better fitment than AIT.

Originally Posted by jetg37s
Did you pay $450 shipped for the front bumper + $800 to get it painted and installed? or $800 for everything?

Because if you paid $1,250 for just the front bumper you could easilly buy the original ZELE front bumper and get it paint for only $250-$300.

I wonder what people will say "I have the Zele bumper" or " Z style bumper"
Jadex_ If this is the case, you basically spent as much on the replica as you would've on the real deal... That doesn't make sense. To each their own though. Post pics because I'm really curious to see how well it fits.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Jadex153

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@jetG37s I paid $800 for everything.

@Rys06MT The body shop, who is the most reputable one in Myrtle Beach, SC, told me that it was probably the best fitting aftermarket front bumper that they've ever attached to a car. They were very pleasantly surprised. From what I've read, the AIT bumper is a complete nightmare to attach.
I will grant you that I could have gotten the work done for a good deal cheaper, but I trust these guys as they've done work for me before. I've seen a lot of shoddy body work that looks great when she rolls out of the shop. But given a couple of years, the paint starts to chip and fade, gaps starting to show. I paid a premium for the work done to it. Granted, when I get more pieces attached, I may shop around a bit more and see if I can get it done cheaper. These guys charge something like $35-$40 an hour or something, and while I like them a lot and they know me by name, It definitely hurt my bank account lol. So I will ask that you not judge what i deemed a quality assembly too harshly for my body shop folly. I assure you that it is, indeed, a quality assembly that is well worth it's substantially smaller cost. I give Baus Auto an A+ for their work. But, I feel that their reputation will start to speak for its self once their parts start getting around. Eric at Baus was also an awesome guy who was more that patient enough to answer every one of my obnoxious questions, for which there were plenty lol.

@Weiboy718 A part is a part. If it fits and it looks good, then it really just becomes a silly matter to criticize someone for paying less for something that for all intents and purposes is the same. The only reason that people cast replicas is because the cost of 'authentic parts' is simply outrageous. $1300 just for a front end body kit? Some people really feel validated and, forgive me for saying so, but superior because they spent this ridiculous amount for a piece of aesthetically pleasing fiberglass to which there is no true functionality beyond the a fore mentioned aesthetic appeal. Even if the fitment was slightly off and needed to be adjusted accordingly, I still came out on top with having spent $800.00 all the way around rather than $1,300.00 for the part before shipping and before paint and mount. So if you want to judge me for buying 'fake' parts, then by all means as this is really no reflection on my part.
And regarding what illustrious title these assemblies will be dubbed, I am fully confident that you will be right there to promptly correct anyone who calls them anything even resembling 'Zele Aero'.

@Soolman32 I thank you for what I see as genuine concern. However, I assure you that despite my overpaying at the body shop, I still came out ahead of the game. And as I told the other guys, just because something is a replica doesn't necessarily condemn it to being a shoddy part. I assure you that it looks and functions every bit as good as 'the real thing'.

Last edited by Jadex153; 01-12-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 PM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
OP. Get the real, it's the only way to go IMO.

Imagine your design getting knocked off and sold at a fraction of what it costs you. How would that make you feel?

About the Baus product, he even states that the product doesn't support all the mounting points of the original parts? I know these parts aren't related to safety but thats gotta say something.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@jetG37s I paid $800 for everything.

@Rys06MT The body shop, who is the most reputable one in Myrtle Beach, SC, told me that it was probably the best fitting aftermarket front bumper that they've ever attached to a car. They were very pleasantly surprised. From what I've read, the AIT bumper is a complete nightmare to attach.
I will grant you that I could have gotten the work done for a good deal cheaper, but I trust these guys as they've done work for me before. I've seen a lot of shoddy body work that looks great when she rolls out of the shop. But given a couple of years, the paint starts to chip and fade, gaps starting to show. I paid a premium for the work done to it. Granted, when I get more pieces attached, I may shop around a bit more and see if I can get it done cheaper. These guys charge something like $35-$40 an hour or something, and while I like them a lot and they know me by name, It definitely hurt my bank account lol. So I will ask that you not judge what i deemed a quality assembly too harshly for my body shop folly. I assure you that it is, indeed, a quality assembly that is well worth it's substantially smaller cost. I give Baus Auto an A+ for their work. But, I feel that their reputation will start to speak for its self once their parts start getting around. Eric at Baus was also an awesome guy who was more that patient enough to answer every one of my obnoxious questions, for which there were plenty lol.

@Weiboy718 A part is a part. If it fits and it looks good, then it really just becomes a silly matter to criticize someone for paying less for something that for all intents and purposes is the same. The only reason that people cast replicas is because the cost of 'authentic parts' is simply outrageous. $1300 just for a front end body kit? Some people really feel validated and, forgive me for saying so, but superior because they spent this ridiculous amount for a piece of aesthetically pleasing fiberglass to which there is no true functionality beyond the a fore mentioned aesthetic appeal. Even if the fitment was slightly off and needed to be adjusted accordingly, I still came out on top with having spent $800.00 all the way around rather than $1,300.00 for the part before shipping and before paint and mount. So if you want to judge me for buying 'fake' parts, then by all means as this is really no reflection on my part.
And regarding what illustrious title these assemblies will be dubbed, I am fully confident that you will be right there to promptly correct anyone who calls them anything even resembling 'Zele Aero'.

@Soolman32 I thank you for what I see as genuine concern. However, I assure you that despite my overpaying at the body shop, I still came out ahead of the game. And as I told the other guys, just because something is a replica doesn't necessarily condemn it to being a shoddy part. I assure you that it looks and functions every bit as good as 'the real thing'.
The part you just bought is a stolen design from someone else's hard work. i'm not criticizing you for paying less than what some of us paid for the real authentic part. These guys copy to cash in money, how would you feel if you were the one's who designed the kit and only to find out someone else stole your design and cashing in money. I do agree with you that paying $1300 for just a front bumper is pretty crazy but like always, you will get what you pay for!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Jadex153

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
The part you just bought is a stolen design from someone else's hard work. i'm not criticizing you for paying less than what some of us paid for the real authentic part. These guys copy to cash in money, how would you feel if you were the one's who designed the kit and only to find out someone else stole your design and cashing in money. I do agree with you that paying $1300 for just a front bumper is pretty crazy but like always, you will get what you pay for!
Alright, I will grant you the point on the design aspect. However, unless you are willing to put a bulletproof patent on a product, it will be replicated every time. The same is true for everything ranging from basic household items to foods and sophisticated technology. And while it may not be the most polished of business practices, it is still an every day practice of business. At least, in this case, the originals are at least being credited for their contribution, i.e. AIT TS and Baus Zele Style or 'Z-style'. And just like with off brand house hold products, just because it doesn't carry the gold class of the name brand doesn't make it a poor product. It's just a cheaper alternative to the generally more expensive 'original' product.
And the makers of the Zele and Top Secret kits are hardly victims as they refuse to price more competitively to ensure true customer loyalty. Subjecting ones self to these extremely overpriced goods only serves to create a status marker to which people can lord over their peers. Sorry, but I refuse to subscribe in this particular instance. And for the record, I am by no means saying that I am not guilty of this myself in other regards lol.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 AM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Cost isn't the issue. The issue is, by puchasing replicas, you are supporting someone's thievery.

Granted, there is a mutual benefit. You receive an almost part, for less, and the thief gets paid. But it's the principal IMO.

Replicas are anti-capitalism. LOL.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
However, I assure you that despite my overpaying at the body shop, I still came out ahead of the game.
uhh sorry I must have misunderstood what you said.. what do you mean you still came out ahead of the game?

At the end of the day, a fake is a fake, doesn't matter how much money you saved, rocking authentic parts are still ahead in the game.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Jadex153

Lol, then the same could be said for buying every day generic brands such as Walgreens brand Acetaminophine (advil) or Omeprazole (prilosec). Why do we do such things? Because why pay $20 dollars for something with a brand name when a $10 off brand will clear those ugly symptoms up just as fast.
Tell me, when you get prescriptions, do you go with the generics like 98% of American capitalists or do you break the bank 'getting the original'?

Seriously not trying to be a d!ck, but this issue of trying to make the rest of us feel like criminals and dirt bags because we refused to be ripped off by the Japanese 'Gods of Fiberglass Aesthetics' comes across as more than a little pretentious and snobbish. If you want to buy JDM, then by all means. No one is going to think less of you. But if you think that anyone other than those in the 'JDM ONLY' club are going to chime in with the diminishing of a beautiful car, then you're more than likely going to be mistaken.

@xlack I assure you, sir/ma'am, that I am indeed ahead of the game. Because as of tomorrow afternoon, the front end of my car is going to be an Authentic thing of beauty that cost me only $800.00 round trip. And that's even with the over paying at the body shop.

Last edited by Jadex153; 01-13-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Alright, I will grant you the point on the design aspect. However, unless you are willing to put a bulletproof patent on a product, it will be replicated every time. The same is true for everything ranging from basic household items to foods and sophisticated technology. And while it may not be the most polished of business practices, it is still an every day practice of business. At least, in this case, the originals are at least being credited for their contribution, i.e. AIT TS and Baus Zele Style or 'Z-style'. And just like with off brand house hold products, just because it doesn't carry the gold class of the name brand doesn't make it a poor product. It's just a cheaper alternative to the generally more expensive 'original' product.
And the makers of the Zele and Top Secret kits are hardly victims as they refuse to price more competitively to ensure true customer loyalty. Subjecting ones self to these extremely overpriced goods only serves to create a status marker to which people can lord over their peers. Sorry, but I refuse to subscribe in this particular instance. And for the record, I am by no means saying that I am not guilty of this myself in other regards lol.
funniest stuff I've read in a long time.

Let me ask you.. extremely overpriced goods. I know.. You must have never owned an authentic part before. If you do, you wouldn't say this. Btw I admit I have rocked both replicas and authentic parts before so I know where you're coming from.

and u must not know very much about patents..
Old 01-13-2012, 12:30 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Lol, then the same could be said for buying every day generic brands such as Walgreens brand Acetaminophine (advil) or Omeprazole (prilosec). Why do we do such things? Because why pay $20 dollars for something with a brand name when a $10 off brand will clear those ugly symptoms up just as fast.
Tell me, when you get prescriptions, do you go with the generics like 98% of American capitalists or do you break the bank 'getting the original'?

Seriously not trying to be a d!ck, but this issue of trying to make the rest of us feel like criminals and dirt bags because we refused to be ripped off by the Japanese 'Gods of Fiberglass Aesthetics' comes across as more than a little pretentious and snobbish. Seriously, if you want to buy JDM, then by all means. No one is going to think less of you. But if you think that anyone other than those in the 'JDM ONLY' club are going to chime in with the diminishing of a beautiful car, then you're more than likely going to be mistaken.
it doesn't matter man.. look at the industry 10-15 years ago and look at it now.

Then look into the future 10 years from now. You know why JDM died. And when you know the so-called Japanese 'Gods of Fiberglass Aesthetics' is dead.. you'll find no decent looking aftermarket parts except for ugly shit like those poor-fitting poor-quality ED kits
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Jadex153

Originally Posted by xlack
funniest stuff I've read in a long time.

Let me ask you.. extremely overpriced goods. I know.. You must have never owned an authentic part before. If you do, you wouldn't say this. Btw I admit I have rocked both replicas and authentic parts before so I know where you're coming from.

and u must not know very much about patents..
Originally Posted by xlack
it doesn't matter man.. look at the industry 10-15 years ago and look at it now.

Then look into the future 10 years from now. You know why JDM died. And when you know the so-called Japanese 'Gods of Fiberglass Aesthetics' is dead.. you'll find no decent looking aftermarket parts except for ugly shit like those poor-fitting poor-quality ED kits
Any industry 10-15 years ago to now sucks. That's the general economy. I can safely say, however, that by buying parts from over here that I'm supporting the U.S. economy by supporting U.S. body and custom shops. That aside, feel free to belittle away. If you don't like my front end or don't agree with me not spending a small mint on my car's body, then don't look at it. I'm getting married in 9 months and I also make my own way in the world. So if you are deluded enough to think that I owe you any explanations, sir, regarding my actions....
Homeboy had some questions regarding AIT body kits, so I directed him to an alternative that I found to be a very pleasant experience. Sorry that JDM junkies take such offense to conversations such as this, but not everyone feels (<-putting it mildly) the way you do about fiberglass and shifter *****. Would I buy ARC exhaust instead of HKS? Count on it. Am I happy with my ASA rims in favor of Vossen's or Volk's, every day of the week. And does my G still turn heads, no matter what street I turn down? Yes, sir. She does indeed. So if JDM is what you need to feel validated, then again, by all means lol.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Seriously not trying to be a d!ck, but this issue of trying to make the rest of us feel like criminals and dirt bags because we refused to be ripped off by the Japanese 'Gods of Fiberglass Aesthetics' comes across as more than a little pretentious and snobbish. If you want to buy JDM, then by all means. No one is going to think less of you. But if you think that anyone other than those in the 'JDM ONLY' club are going to chime in with the diminishing of a beautiful car, then you're more than likely going to be mistaken.

@xlack I assure you, sir/ma'am, that I am indeed ahead of the game. Because as of tomorrow afternoon, the front end of my car is going to be an Authentic thing of beauty that cost me only $800.00 round trip. And that's even with the over paying at the body shop.
SORT OF... you don't have the sides, hood, grill, or rear. It's actually going to look rather silly until you can pony up a few bucks to buy the rest, the Z-Style replica will not look right AT ALL with the regular G37 sides/rear/grill.

Your car will remind me of those V6 Mustangs with a Cobra front bumper cover and 0 other mods. They actually get laughed at, like I'm sure most here will do after you post your photos, and if you're on stock wheels .. I'd wait IIWY.....

I'm in no way knocking "YOU" or domestic made parts, I've seen quality U.S. built car mods, Stillen, GTM, Fast Intentions, Bassani, Magnaflow, Steeda, SMS, Saleen, Mopar.. but you didn't buy that, you bought a low quality knock off from a garage vendor who doesn't even have a business line and opperates with his cell phone, the only one "WINNING" in your situation IMO is BAUS Auto, who overcharged you on their lesser quality material, and the bodyshop that overcharged you (in your own words).

Last edited by RYs06MT; 01-13-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 AM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How about an authentic RWB kit so then I can I can say I paid more and have better fitment than any other body kit

Quick Reply: Top Secret/AIT Front Bumper Question!