Sponsored By:

My G totaled

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy My G totaled

The risks.

About 2 weeks ago, I was at the track. A girl in a Miata was in front of me as we were coming up at the end of a straight into a left. She missed the apex, spun out to the right side in the turn. Fortunately, I was not tailing her and had left plenty of room in front of me. I saw her spin so I braked hard then prepared to veer left, off track into the dirt to avoid her. But she suddenly and unexpectedly rolled backwards from right side of the track to the left, sideways, 90 degrees against the direction of traffic, straight into my path.

When she spun, she probably freaked out and didn't react to her position or the fact that there were other cars coming towards her. I'm not blaming her since when I'm out on the track, I put myself to those kind of risks, and there are no faults on the track (unless it was a race, but this was not). You're responsible for your own actions.

So my own actions. Maybe I could have full on ABS braked but since it was in a turn, I probably would have drifted and still collided with her. Except sideways, which could have been worse because at that speed I would risk flipping the car.

I remember for a fraction of a second, I noticed and was surprised by her coming towards me. But split second later, I had already made impact. The event coordinator and instructor told me there was nothing I could've done.

Airbag instantaneously and magically deployed out of thin air. Powder flying in the air like pixy dusts. First thing I noticed was how warped by hood was, I knew it was bad. At the moment of impact, all of my body’s momentum was stopped by the seatbelt. I involuntarily yelled from the pain when the seat belt restrained me during the crash, resulted in a few bruised ribs. Nothing major, just painful and inconvenient.

I sat in my car for a while. Tried to feel my hands, feet, neck. Making sure nothing was broken. Then I tried to move but could not because of my ribs. Track crew was very quick to the scene, along with the event coordinator, who all did a very good job in dealing with the aftermath. When I finally got out of my car, I made sure the girl was ok. She seemed to be in shock but actually admitted fault to me and a number of event staff. Joel, the coordinator, was excellent in handling the situation. Thanks to, Mike, who let me use his long distance AAA tow, we got the car back to my place. Before tow truck came, it had started to rain. Rather appropriate.

The loss.

For me, a car is more than just a mode of transportation. Aside from its monetary value, there is time, effort, energy, and most importantly, emotion put into it. I'm sure some of you can relate to this as well. Your car reflects a part of your personality. You pay attention to its details, appreciate different aspects of its good and bad. You take good care of it, and it'll give its life to protect you in the time of need. You treat it badly and it'll leave you in the cold. I identified a lot with my car. As time went on with my ownership, it became more and more of an extension of myself. Unless there are other factors to be considered, I'd pick the exact same car to replace this one.

Car is now totaled. Feel like I've been lobotomized.

The passion. (The stupidity?)

After the girlfriend and the family found out, they were obviously concerned. GF probably did more of the freaking out, understandably and rightfully so. But she was also very attentive in helping through my handicapped and lethargic recovery.

Naturally, everyone urged me to not track again and I understand this very well. If I was in their position, I'd feel the same way. But it is very conflicting because I see my own perspective as well.

For them, it's very straight forward. You got out of a high speed, high impact accident relatively unscathed. Consider yourself lucky and don't do it again. Even though it wasn't your fault and there was nothing you could've done, you still don't need to voluntarily subject yourself to those risks. It's not worth it. It's just not safe. Sure, getting into an accident on the streets is probably more dangerous but why track when you don't have to. And I would have to agree.

For me, track is not just about driving your car fast or racing, because most of the time, it is not racing. It's about knowing how to drive your car and how to do it well. How to be in control when on the edge of losing control, how to save it from a crash, how to brake and what that really means, how to use your car to its full potential, how to be aware of your surroundings so you become a better and safer driver. The misconception is track = racing and driving fast. But what you get out of it is a lot more than that. I can't remember the times when I calmly avoided incoming side swipes and accidents from others swerving into my lane. Results from my limited track experience? Maybe, maybe not.

People like cars for different reasons, I like it to be driven, not just to be put on a display to be looked at. Cosmetic mods are nice. But what I care about is really how well it drives. How well I can be in tune with myself when driving, how well I can explore my limits and improve. On the track, you are 100% focused, there's nothing else on your mind, no worrying about work, responsibilities, what to eat for dinner. Nothing. There is just you and your car. You are tested at your peak mental and physical capacity. It's the ultimate hand-eye-everything-else coordination. And it is magnificent.

Inb4tl;dr

Last edited by ucla bruin; 01-11-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 AM
ucla bruin

Before. After.

RIP.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 AM
ucla bruin

For sale.

iForged wheels:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ml#post3327861

Headlight ballasts:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ml#post3327864

Volk lugs:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ml#post3327866

CF mirror covers:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ml#post3327868

CF steering wheel bezel cover:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ml#post3327869

MXP exhaust will be sold too.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 01-11-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
oh my gaww...wtf!!! GLAD THAT YOU'RE OKAY!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 AM
biron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for your lost but good thing you're okay.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 AM
QtrSkill
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Im sorry for your car, glad you're ok. my family would never understand that passion either, for them its only a way of transportation. and mods are just a waste of money..
btw pm me if you want to sell the oem cover for reasonable price.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:16 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ah damn, that was a hell of a nice car. I'm sorry for your loss, also glad you're okay.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Sorry to see such a good looking car get smashed up. Glad that you're ok.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 AM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Damn such a nice ride! I'm sure it will turn out ok!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry bro. The next one will be better I'm sure, and half the fun is building it, right.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 AM
G37S-OONER
Banned

That sucks bro....
Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 AM
DashKid
Banned

Glad that you are ok. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this happened, thank you for sharing this with us and like the others, I am glad you are ok. You expressed your passion very well which almost makes something like this even harder to read. Good luck to you bud.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Sorry to hear Danny. Get well soon.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Sorry to hear but the important thing is no one was seriously hurt.I admire your attitude towards the whole thing, etc ... very mature response. Best to you ....

Quick Reply: My G totaled