Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Outdoor kept, any precautions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Hliang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jesse550
So what's the difference between microfiber and sheepskin besides preference? Is one better than the other? Is one finer/less likely to induce swirls?
No idea... I just use the one at walmart Hey, the cleaning towels are microfiber.. can't be that bad but I'm no detailing expert
Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 PM
t-hak
Registered Member

So what's the difference between microfiber and sheepskin besides preference? Is one better than the other? Is one finer/less likely to induce swirls?
People seem to prefer the sheepskin for whatever reason, but it probably doesn't matter if the mitts are of decent quality. I prefer sheepskin myself, but that's because I've had good luck with them and haven't found a microfiber one I like yet.

It's not really the mitt that causes swirls, rather it's the grit that gets stuck in it during washing. To minimize swirls, most people use what's called the "2 bucket method."

In bucket 1, you have 3-4 gallons of water and soap. In bucket 2, you just have clean water. Soak the mitt in bucket 1, wash a panel or two on the car. Then drop the mitt in bucket 2 and shake it. Then rinse the panels you just washed with a hose. While you are rinsing, the grit the mitt collected should float out of the mitt and drop to the bottom of bucket 2.

As you pull the mitt out of bucket 2, run your free hand over it to brush the mitt. This helps more grit, if any, fall off the mitt. Then put the mitt in bucket 1 and then wash your next section of the car. Repeat these steps until you are done washing.

The idea is to keep the soap and water in bucket 1 as clean as you can, rather than using it for rinsing the mitt. This helps to keep the mitt from picking up the dirt you just washed off from the previous panels.

It won't prevent you from ever getting any swirls at all, but it goes a long way to keep swirls to a minimum.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Hliang

Washing and Drying Auto Detailing Guide - Detailed Image
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just ordered optimum no rinse. Now I just need some buckets & a good mitt that's not too expensive.

Last edited by jesse550; 01-09-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

listen, forget all the crappy advice everyone is giving you. here is what the pro's do.
you get a couple tubs of vaseline, smear the whole car with it. THATS IT!

lol- im kidding, everyone had great advice. listen there is nothing you can do. just roll with the flow. dont pay so much attention to mitts, expensive soaps, etc- its all a scam. basic auto wash soap that doesnt have those silly wax-beads or clogging agents that pretend to be a wax-job in a soap, a basic soft sponge, and a good routine on polishing & waxing will save you headaches with pollen & rain stains. otherwise, you cant protect her from kids, wide people trying to squeeze between cars, etc.
and as for "keeping its color" ...... everything fades if it sits in the sun. thats life. today's paints will last for 15+years without problems.(its the winter-salts that starts rust) keep her polished & waxed at least twice per year, and she will not have fade- your eye can detect for at least 10years.
and watch out with the car-covers. they often trap a lot of moisture/humidity in.
JUST LIVE, AND RELAX. ROLL WITH THE FLOW.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 AM
jesse550

LOL @ the vaseline. Anyways Just got home from the gym. Discovered my first scratch today -_- I think it came from a car in the oncoming lane launching a rock my way but it was at night so I couldn't see any scratches then. It's pretty small but still hurts to know. As for the parking, I park so close to my old car now (which nobody drives now) that my G is in 2 spots at once, leaving a good deal of distance on the other side where someone might park ^_^.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

my G is in 2 spots at once
thats the fastest way to get your car keyed. just stay low-key, and that will help to stay out trouble.
i used to live in an apartment complex, and i learned that parking isn't always sufficient, so don't be "that guy" who takes a spot away from someones wife on a rainy day. its the fastest way to get a brick through your window. just be low-key, polite, and roll with the flow.

ONE THING THE ARMY TAUGHT ME: if you wanna stand out, you will be noticed! sometimes for a compliment, and sometimes to get smoked!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the ONLY thing id say you should worry about is getting wheel locks. No matter how rich of a neighborhood you live in, you still have a risk of having your rims jacked.

dont compare the car to BMW's.....its not about the brand....theives really like our rims
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
DashKid
Banned

Man you have a G and live in a place with no garage. You better be careful of door dings and scratches but make sure you keep a low profile. You don't want thieves breaking into your car every other week.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM
jesse550

Originally Posted by ImStricken
thats the fastest way to get your car keyed. just stay low-key, and that will help to stay out trouble.
i used to live in an apartment complex, and i learned that parking isn't always sufficient, so don't be "that guy" who takes a spot away from someones wife on a rainy day. its the fastest way to get a brick through your window. just be low-key, polite, and roll with the flow.

ONE THING THE ARMY TAUGHT ME: if you wanna stand out, you will be noticed! sometimes for a compliment, and sometimes to get smoked!
It's slightly in the second spot and the second spot has a car in it (mine but nobody knows it's mine) so it actually just looks like I'm bad at parking if you look at it. The second car is well within its parking spot and not taking up any other. Anyways yeah it's got the low profile appearance with a tiny bit of extra space on the side.
I'm not trying to be that douche that parks 1 car in 2 spots. I'm just taking advantage of the fact that I have 2 cars (which a lot of people do here) And squeezing the g into a tiny bit of the other that a car is in.

Last edited by jesse550; 01-09-2012 at 11:38 AM.