Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37S in snow ?feedback please

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 PM
darkmatter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
What did people do years ago when AWD was not available? Did every car crash and not make it where they were going because of no AWD? They also didn't have ABS or traction control helping them. Did every single person have a truck?

AWD is a nice feature, and useful for snowy regions. If your average joe, family man, comfort and safety highest concern, then AWD is great. BUT, if you want the true sports appeal, and want the better features for the other 3 seasons, then RWD with properly fitted snow tires will do just fine!

I live in Cleveland Ohio with some of the worst lake effect snow and been averaging well over 100" of snow a season. The crap weather season is long, and the summer season is short. I'm a car guy and had a RWD Sport brought up from South Carolina. I have 2 young kids, and have no concerns about winter tires because it's the car I wanted and know how to drive.

OP - decide on what's more important for YOU. Will AWD benefit you in some circumstances YES. (Will not help with stopping) Will it also get worse gas mileage and hinder some performance for the good days, YES. Will RWD keep you home bound looking out the window every day because you can't drive your car NO. Will you be just fine with proper equipment on RWD, YES.

You can tell the diverse people you are getting answers from. Some freak out and squeeze the wheel when it rains and go 15mph under the speed limit. Some just prefer the luxury and safety of AWD and could care less about the RWD features. Others care more for the performance and additional features of the RWD and realize you can be fine with snows. Which person are you? What's more important. ...just don't let some of these people tell you it's not a capable car with RWD.

I'd get AWD if I was in upper Canada or Alaska... maybe

EXACTLEY.

Sorry, I don't know your age but some people back in the days were smart enough not to go out period in bad weather.

I have owned many RWD in my time and have done very well in snow with them. But common since tells you if there is 1ft+ off snow on the road and your G is dropped or low clearance (like a lot are) that you are not going far.

Some people appreciate and take care of thier vehicles more then others.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmatter
But common since tells you if there is 1ft+ off snow on the road and your G is dropped or low clearance (like a lot are) that you are not going far.
Much truth in that statement. We have a relative that was driving in a pretty bad winter storm few years ago. Things got really bad and a collision occurred. It's still unclear what really happened. The end result was icu, life support, brain damage, and a coma for 2 months, followed by nearly a year of rehab. The person survived through it, but is totally nonfunctional today.

If you don't have to drive in it, don't.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmatter
Sorry, I don't know your age but some people back in the days were smart enough not to go out period in bad weather.

I have owned many RWD in my time and have done very well in snow with them. But common since tells you if there is 1ft+ off snow on the road and your G is dropped or low clearance (like a lot are) that you are not going far.

Some people appreciate and take care of thier vehicles more then others.
Your talking extremes here. I don't care if you have AWD or RWD with 1 foot of snow ON THE ROAD no one is making it very far. (even in northeast Ohio I've never seen a foot on the roadway) Average SUVs and trucks aren't going very far. So, yes obviosly common sense plays a role in these extremes. People regardless of their vehicle would probably stay in unless in an emergency. But, I don't think that point plays any part in one's decision whether or not to buy RWD over AWD in this conversation

Also don't know what it has to do with appreciating and taking care of their cars more
Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 AM
darkmatter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Your talking extremes here. I don't care if you have AWD or RWD with 1 foot of snow ON THE ROAD no one is making it very far. (even in northeast Ohio I've never seen a foot on the roadway) Average SUVs and trucks aren't going very far. So, yes obviosly common sense plays a role in these extremes. People regardless of their vehicle would probably stay in unless in an emergency. But, I don't think that point plays any part in one's decision whether or not to buy RWD over AWD in this conversation

Also don't know what it has to do with appreciating and taking care of their cars more

Hey, I was making some fun. You commented on that.

Anyways, I don't think anyone is wrong or right. Sticking to the topic I think whatever he feels more comfortable driving in the snow is what he should get. If snow is more common year around AWD is practicle.

Be careful out there in rain, snow or dry roads! Have a happy holiday!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
A foot of snow is not too extreme. Severe storms in Wisconsin has netted 10+ inches in an overnight fall. You'll go to bed with a clear driveway and wake up literally to a foot of snow...you wouldn't be able to get far unless you drove a plow truck so unless your workplace is heartless and will fire you if you don't show up or your school is heartless and you'll fail class if you aren't there, then be smart and stay home. Hell, enjoy the foot of snow in other "safer" ways...like sledding

Again, I think people believe and trust in AWD more than they should. Snow is a different animal then dry roads are and AWD or not, if you it a patch of ice, you're going to slide and skid regardless of how many wheel drives you have.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Original Poster here - if there is 10 inches of snow on the ground from a snowstorm overnight - I - nor anyone nearby will be moving anywhere. ANyway - I pulled the trigger today and cut a deal on an 09 G37S with Tech Package / 6MT. Snow tires are part of the deal. Picking it up Wednesday next week. Can't wait!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 PM
MurderedG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In short RWD blows in the winter lol. Don't kid yourself!!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:45 PM
metrix

Good luck. I have G37S with winter tires and I have gotten stuck many times (Even in 1-2 inches of snow) in parking lots etc. where I just can't move because I have no traction. Definitely put some weight in your trunk. I am buying AWD soon. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:41 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^If you're running overly wide snow tires or a staggered setup, then they're about as useful as all season type, if that. In the 11 years I ran winter/snow tires on my camaro, I've never gotten stuck, though it did take a little bit of wheel spin to get out of some spots on occasion. Sand bags were used the first few years, then I got lazy. Come to find the car handled the same with or without 250lb sand bags.

I remember doing a test in the back of my apt building after the first decent snow fall. Apprx 3" fell and no one plows the back side of the building. It was the thick heavy stuff. Came to a complete stop, then did a gentle take off. With a little more clutch modulation than in the dry, the car took off with no wheel spin at all. This was with a 215/60/16 or 215/65/16 tire. Also recall, the camaro is a lighter car, with ~56/44% f/r weight distribution, curb weight ~3430lb.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 AM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Picked up my "new to me" G37S w/6 MT and wouldn't you know it - in the middle of a freaking snowstorm!

Drove it home and had no issues. Brand new Toyo Snow tires certainly helped. Since then, have driven it in nothing but snow and slush.

So far so good. WIll it plow snow - nope - but it seems to be ok in the white stuff. I'll just have to be careful with the throttle....

Loving the car though!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:12 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kkkkken
Picked up my "new to me" G37S w/6 MT and wouldn't you know it - in the middle of a freaking snowstorm!

Drove it home and had no issues. Brand new Toyo Snow tires certainly helped. Since then, have driven it in nothing but snow and slush.

So far so good. WIll it plow snow - nope - but it seems to be ok in the white stuff. I'll just have to be careful with the throttle....

Loving the car though!!!
Aren't you glad you didn't get all freaked out from some of these posters!?

...you'll be even happier come nice weather.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM
G37Vert

Congrats. Enjoy your new snowmobile.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Originally Posted by kkkkken

Loving the car though!!!
Nice pick up! We told you didn't we? MTs are always better in the snow imo. Guys getting stuck in 1 or 2 inches are either running shredded snow tires or are gassing to way too hard. It's still snow and still slippery!! just ease on into it and you'll be fine. BTW, I LOVE RWD IN SNOW!! And again....sandbags are a waste of time.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:24 AM
G37Vert

Originally Posted by Gon37
Nice pick up! We told you didn't we? MTs are always better in the snow imo. Guys getting stuck in 1 or 2 inches are either running shredded snow tires or are gassing to way too hard. It's still snow and still slippery!! just ease on into it and you'll be fine. BTW, I LOVE RWD IN SNOW!! And again....sandbags are a waste of time.
You're nuts if you think sandbags don't help. Every season I see trucks w/o sandbags trying to make it up small inclines while sliding backwards. Of course what do I know? I was only passing them in my 2 wheel drive truck with sandbads in the bed. When it snows here, I'll absolutely install my bags in the trunk.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Sandbags only add weight to the car. It doesn't improve traction or grip. Pressure down onto the road comes from your shocks/struts, not extra added weight. Traction comes from your tires. Heavy cars do not necessarily equal better traction. Trucks are not better than cars in terms of traction either. A combination of suspension, tires and 2wd vs awd make for better snow traction. I guess I don't know much either dealing with 100+ inches of snow a year just my $.02 but you can add a 1000 lbs of sand to your trunk if you'd like.

Quick Reply: G37S in snow ?feedback please