Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Mike@Vossen
SUPPORT AUTHENTICITY!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow Tires are Key
Old 12-20-2011, 02:56 PM
xsmurdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if buy a separate set of rims get 18s. that way ur tires are bigger which help in the snow. also get the most 225s because the wider the tire, the more snow ure gonna have to go through.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by xsmurdoc
if buy a separate set of rims get 18s. that way ur tires are bigger which help in the snow. also get the most 225s because the wider the tire, the more snow ure gonna have to go through.
I think you are trying to say the right thing, but on the verge of saying the wrong thing and sounding like an idiot. lol j/k (just the way you worded it may be confusing for noobs)

Bigger rims are NOT good in snow but larger SIDEWALL is (smaller rim). So I'm gonna hope that's what you meant and were speaking instead of with 19s.. ?.

The skinnier the better for snow. (I know that's what you were saying on that one.) The wider the tire the more the tire rides over the snow than through it.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
MurderedG37s

I has 19'' Blizzacks. I am just speaking from experience. I have had an '08 G37s RWD and I drove it in the snow. It sucked. I have a '12 G37xS AWD now, and it is literally 100 times better. More confidence, no worries about inclines, declines, or stop and go. Yeah you can get around with a RWD in snow with snow tires, But when you have to slow down or stop on an incline and momentum isnt in your favor, don't tell say I didn't warn you. Yeah RWD cars are better, my RWD G was more fun, for sure. But bottom line, is that its uncertain in the snow.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^ What are the other 2 numbers that go along with the tire size?

IMO, awd may help you steer better, but still won't help you stop better in the snow.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:08 PM
MurderedG37s

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^ What are the other 2 numbers that go along with the tire size?

IMO, awd may help you steer better, but still won't help you stop better in the snow.
Yeah I guess. I don't remember the sizes to tell you the truth. I sold them on here though....but yeah I mean stopping is a different story. I guess its hard to imagine if you haven't had both. but its much different. I mean I like the AWD, but the only reason I have it is for bad weather, and because its critical for my job. When I am ballin enough to have a FX50 and a sports car, I won't have an automatic AWD coupe lol.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carz
get yourself some snow tires! it cant be stressed enough

summer tires are absolutely horrible on snow...you will slip and slide and die, yes instant death.

you might be able to control yourself when you slip and slide.....but when you come to a stop...your car will keep going (happened to me, i was only driving down the block at 5 mph and kept sliding a few feet after i pressed the brake)

a good set will cost you 700-800......the way I see it is, i bought them, if it doesnt snow at all....then its a good price to pay to not have to worry about snow period
LMAO! I slid and crashed my 08...didnt die though
Old 12-21-2011, 03:52 PM
darkmatter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what tires you get your not going very far in ice/snow covered roads and your gonna want to avoid the other crazies that go 50+mph on snowy streets.

Keep it in the garage like any other luxury vehicle. Buy a beatup jeep or Bronco and use that for the winter
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM
G37Vert

Winter tires + common sense=you'll be fine.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmatter
No matter what tires you get your not going very far in ice/snow covered roads and your gonna want to avoid the other crazies that go 50+mph on snowy streets.

Keep it in the garage like any other luxury vehicle. Buy a beatup jeep or Bronco and use that for the winter
What did people do years ago when AWD was not available? Did every car crash and not make it where they were going because of no AWD? They also didn't have ABS or traction control helping them. Did every single person have a truck?

AWD is a nice feature, and useful for snowy regions. If your average joe, family man, comfort and safety highest concern, then AWD is great. BUT, if you want the true sports appeal, and want the better features for the other 3 seasons, then RWD with properly fitted snow tires will do just fine!

I live in Cleveland Ohio with some of the worst lake effect snow and been averaging well over 100" of snow a season. The crap weather season is long, and the summer season is short. I'm a car guy and had a RWD Sport brought up from South Carolina. I have 2 young kids, and have no concerns about winter tires because it's the car I wanted and know how to drive.

OP - decide on what's more important for YOU. Will AWD benefit you in some circumstances YES. (Will not help with stopping) Will it also get worse gas mileage and hinder some performance for the good days, YES. Will RWD keep you home bound looking out the window every day because you can't drive your car NO. Will you be just fine with proper equipment on RWD, YES.

You can tell the diverse people you are getting answers from. Some freak out and squeeze the wheel when it rains and go 15mph under the speed limit. Some just prefer the luxury and safety of AWD and could care less about the RWD features. Others care more for the performance and additional features of the RWD and realize you can be fine with snows. Which person are you? What's more important. ...just don't let some of these people tell you it's not a capable car with RWD.

I'd get AWD if I was in upper Canada or Alaska... maybe

Originally Posted by G37Vert
Winter tires + common sense=you'll be fine.
EXACTLEY.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I drove my g with the supercharger on it through record sons in Chicago. Did just fine but I had pirilli sottozero tires on
Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 AM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Great feedback from all - thanks again!! I've made an offer on a G37S w/6MT - and the deal includes smaller diameter rims with Michelin snow tires to be installed. If need be - I'll remove the spare tire and fill the hollow with some bags of sand for ballast. I have CAA - so if I get a flat - they can come fix me up. Again - great feedback - I appreciate it.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that I am considering FI for the future, I wish that I had AWD to have the traction to put it to the ground. If I can break it loose on the local roads now, the need for FI is limited...
Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
kkkkk, what size wheels are you getting? Keep in mind the 6mt's come with bbk's, so a 17" will not fit. 18" is the smallest that will work, and not all of them - need proper offset/spoke to clear the outside facing face of the calipers in the front.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:55 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by kkkkken
Great feedback from all - thanks again!! I've made an offer on a G37S w/6MT - and the deal includes smaller diameter rims with Michelin snow tires to be installed. If need be - I'll remove the spare tire and fill the hollow with some bags of sand for ballast. I have CAA - so if I get a flat - they can come fix me up. Again - great feedback - I appreciate it.
Sand bags don't do anything. They make your car heavier, which in turn causes more momentum during a skid or slide...not a good thing. Plus it makes steering more sluggish. less responsive steering = over correction = bad.

Take it easy when the snow is heavy and good luck with the car.

Jsolo brings up a good point about the BBK. Make sure the rim fits before paying for it!

Quick Reply: G37S in snow ?feedback please