G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My G coupe got backed into. Other driver not admitting fault. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:49 PM
jhg888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My G coupe got backed into. Other driver not admitting fault. Need advice.

Hello, I am a new member here. Was driving down a parking lot the other day, with perpendicular parking spaces to my left. I saw a car up ahead start backing out of a space in this aisle of parking spaces. So I stopped my car and waited for the car up ahead to finish backing out. While I was waiting (my car was entirely stopped and not moving), another guy in a Ford F-150 immediately to my left began backing out of his space. The guy wasn't slowing down so I started honking continuously as the rear of the truck came closer to my car. After a few seconds of honking, it was no use, the rear of the truck smashed into the driver side door, front fender area of my G coupe, right behind the front wheel well.

Filed with the other guy's insurance (allstate) and today just found out the other driver is claiming I hit him and that he was stationary (I was seriously appalled that he would lie so incredibly blatantly). Allstate has no choice but to support their client. I would have to try really hard to have my car move sideways as is required to get a dent like this. Is it even possible? Pics of the damage attached. Also a picture showing the place in the lot where it happened. The silver truck in the photo is actually the one that hit me.

Now I'm seriously miffed because I'm under 25 and getting a rental for the period of time the G will sit in the shop is going to be expensive (I'm in CA). I have a couple of questions:

(1) I am going to file a claim with my insurance company (Geico), pay my deductible. Geico says they will try to get back my deductible from the other insurance company via arbitration. Since there are no witnesses, what is the likely outcome of a case like this? I hope im not SOL.

(2) Judging very roughly from the pictures, and I know they are insufficient to be very meaningful, does it look like the damage can fixed corrected via a repair job? I don't want any compromises in terms of the result. Or are replacements necessary? I feel like this could be a fighting point between me and the insurance company as well. The door still opens freely, though very slightly less smoothly, with a barely noticeable 'crunch' sometimes. From what I can tell, the door is the most bent, and the edge region of the front fender is warped/dimpled.

(3) Any other advice in these circumstances?
Attached Thumbnails My G coupe got backed into. Other driver not admitting fault. Need advice.-1.jpg   My G coupe got backed into. Other driver not admitting fault. Need advice.-2.jpg   My G coupe got backed into. Other driver not admitting fault. Need advice.-3.jpg   My G coupe got backed into. Other driver not admitting fault. Need advice.-4.jpg   My G coupe got backed into. Other driver not admitting fault. Need advice.-6.jpg  

Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 PM
pkvir

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I hope your insurance company takes him to court.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Soliditude

From the way your car is damaged, there's really no way that you could've ran into him. I mean, anyone looking at the pics can realize whose fault it was. I hope you'll get everything sorted out, man. Tell your agent what you posted above. It only makes sense.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Bo0m

Sue the Fk outta him, it's not possible for you to be hit there if he was stationary, unless you were turning left into him but you would've obviously seen him.

I had a similar incident, I was stationary at a light and the person behind decides to change lanes. Ends up hit my rear left fender and bumper..the guy says that I hit him..

anyways good luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Jayson

your car is not a freaking crab, you can't move to the side way to hit him. obviously a non-negotiable argument, hope you can get his *** to pay up
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Pictures tell all. Seriously, won't take them very long to see that he's lying.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
As others have said above, your pics don't show any type of rubbing damage, or damage that may have resulted from you moving while the guy was backing out.

The damage doesn't seem too severe either, so he must of obviously stopped right away as soon as he hit you.

In CA, police don't investigate parking lot incidents (don't ask how I know this). So in part, it is your word against his, but the pictures do tell a story more favorable to you.

Hard to tell from the pics, but perhaps the perhaps the way you were positioned, you were in his blind spot? It's wild that a vehicle backing out would not stop when it hears a horn. Was there any damage to his bumper?

If I can find a good place, this is going on my car. It does require a relay, but man, you can wake the dead with it.

STEBEL S.p.A. - horns

FFWD to 45s to hear the difference.

Stebel vs. Stock on FJR1300 - YouTube

Edit: Looking at the wiring schematic, it looks like one would need to use another relay if they went with the above horn. The schematic from a 2010 G37 sedan shows 2 relays and 2 fuses. Neither of them is 20A however, which is the recommended fuse to use with this horn.
Attached Thumbnails My G coupe got backed into. Other driver not admitting fault. Need advice.-wiring.png  

Last edited by JSolo; 12-09-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 PM
jhg888

Originally Posted by Jsolo
As others have said above, your pics don't show any type of rubbing damage, or damage that may have resulted from you moving while the guy was backing out.

The damage doesn't seem too severe either, so he must of obviously stopped right away as soon as he hit you.

Yes, in fact, in the pictures it looks like there might be some white reside/scratches that indicate some motion. In fact, after the photos were taken, i brushed off the area and the paint was barely damaged. Almost no rubbing whatsoever aside from some very few stray pain scrapes (much less than as seen in the photos). I'll take some better photos and send it to my insurance agent.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Beer Magazine

I assume/hope you called the police to the accident. But the pictures obviously show it was his fault. ALWAYS call the police, especially when it's not your fault.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
This will be resolved via inter-company arbitration and you may or may not be out your deductible. It's not worth litigating over but Allstate is one of the most difficult insurers to deal with (at least in Ohio).

You could ask you insurance to see if there is any parking lot video cameras but most property damage adjusters will be able to figure out how the damage occurred pretty quickly.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
I assume/hope you called the police to the accident. But the pictures obviously show it was his fault. ALWAYS call the police, especially when it's not your fault.
It's parking lot related. Police will come, make sure everyone's ok, then leave. No report, no tickets.. Strange law in CA.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no way he can prove it wasn't his fault.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Mayu

I was just in a parking lot and nearly had the back end of a Kia greet my passenger side. My honking got him to stop but do you think he moved back up? Nope, just sat there inches away from my car. The level of ignorance and stupidity almost makes me not want to take. The G out.

The pictures are obvious. Don't sweat it and let the insurance people take a look at it.

Good luck to you! Hope it all works out.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Gville37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dude sorry the incident ...i sorta had same thing happen to me this morning.....but not to that degree. mere fenderbender...scratched my front right bumper...nothing to her car...

GL with getting it fixed...ask around the forum ...maybe someone has a contact in your region to hook ya up with cheap fix.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Steve561

what a jackass, i hate ignorant people not admitting their faults, GL Bro!

Quick Reply: My G coupe got backed into. Other driver not admitting fault. Need advice.