G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Chrome Window Trim or Door Handles on a Coupe???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 PM
sXheero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Window Trim or Door Handles on a Coupe???

Yes, I've used the search button and the only information I can find pertains to the G37 Sedan. I'm pretty new to the forums; I have an OB Sport Coupe completely stock and unmodified and was wondering what chrome window trim would look like on the car. Has anyone done this to their coupe?

I am trying to choose how I am going to modify my car and after spending hours looking through photos its between an all stealth black setup (with maybe amber or red slight accent colors) or a black/chrome setup. I am leaning towards black/chrome since it seems to retain the lux look that I originally purchased the car for.

I would also consider adding chrome door handles with the window trim.

My inspiration comes from the Maserati GT below with a similar setup (which I believe is similarly styled to our cars with its smooth and luscious curves ).

Picture of the Maserati (try not to drool on your keyboard ):

Any help or advice is always appreciated!!

PS: Flame is also permitted. My other car is a moderately modified SRT-4; they are pretty harsh on the forums over there haha

Last edited by sXheero; 12-08-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I wont flame you, but I know that you are going to get flamed by every single poster. They are going to advise you (in not such a nice way) not go go with the chrome. I am psychic

Trust them. They are right.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I wont flame you, but I know that you are going to get flamed by every single poster. They are going to advise you (in not such a nice way) not go go with the chrome. I am psychic

Trust them. They are right.
DON'T DO IT!!!!!

That wasn't so bad was it??
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 PM
sXheero

I am assuming this immediate negative reaction means nobody has done it hahaha
Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 PM
MurderedG37s

Most people try to eliminate chrome...but hey, its your whip
Old 12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by sXheero
I am assuming this immediate negative reaction means nobody has done it hahaha
It means everyone hates it because they think it looks tacky.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
sXheero

If it was a "tacky" modification why would bmw, audi, mercedes, and maserati offer it as an upgraded trim package for the majority of their cars. To call it tacky would be in bad taste IMO. Only saying...
Old 12-08-2011, 11:22 PM
sXheero

Guess it wouldnt hurt for me to photoshop it in and see how it looks...
Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

You can think about it however you like. Obviously you think its looks classy, so do it. I'm telling you that most people here will think it's tacky. The cars you listed are completely different that the car you are trying to put it on. That doesn't mean it looks good on a Japanese import. This is not a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or Maserati forum.

While you're at it, why don't you stick some fender vents on the side of your front fender like the ones on the Maserati you posted. Will that look good too?

You may even get a few of the "it'll be cool becasue he's doing something different than everybody else" responses. If it's what you like, do it. Just don't expect it to be popular. Hence why you haven't seen a single car on this forum modified that way.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:52 PM
sXheero

You can think about it however you like. Obviously you think its looks classy, so do it. I'm telling you that most people here will think it's tacky. The cars you listed are completely different that the car you are trying to put it on. That doesn't mean it looks good on a Japanese import. This is not a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or Maserati forum.

While you're at it, why don't you stick some fender vents on the side of your front fender like the ones on the Maserati you posted. Will that look good too?

You may even get a few of the "it'll be cool becasue he's doing something different than everybody else" responses. If it's what you like, do it. Just don't expect it to be popular. Hence why you haven't seen a single car on this forum modified that way.
You make a good point... although fender vents are far more extreme (and on the rice end of things - disgusting) than what I am referring to. I'm basically contemplating an accent color in a place I have never seen it.
The fact that it is a japanese car does not rule out the factor that it may have similar styling to a german or italian car. That being said, something that looks good on a similarly styled car may look good on ours.

Lets throw in another little fact here. The G37 Sedan - a Japanese Import and the 4-door version of our cars - comes with chrome window lining. Does that make it a German or Italian car knock-off? Not at all... it is simply a styling cue that has nothing to do with the make or origin of the car. Are you going to tell me that they added that chrome lining just because the car has 4 doors and therefore is acceptable?
My thoughts on it are that they added the chrome because it is considered "more luxurious" by the average car buyer, and a coupe is considered sportier; therefore they left it absent.

I've seen a lot of flame for halo's on G37's "its not a bimmer if you wanted a bimmer you should've bought one instead". I think that's a weak argument - an attractive mod can look attractive on any car.

All of this aside; I appreciate all of your input/criticism (especially yours Black Betty, as it is more on the constructive side). I posted this after all to get opinions; but more importantly I was hoping to find pictures. I guess if I do move forward with it, I would at least be the first and only! Sometimes there is no shame in that .... (depending on the mod)

I'll photoshop it and post it up for anyone who may be interested. Maybe it will look like $H!T and I will hate myself for considering it
Old 12-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I hope you took mine as constructive becasue that's how it was intended. Personally, I hate it and think it looks bad. But like I said, it's your car and I understand what you're trying to do with it. I just don't like it or think it will work like you want it to.

As far as the popularity of it, you'll find many more threads with people who have the sedan blacking it out than you will anyone with the coupe trying to add it. Nada. Zilch. Zero instances of anyone adding chrome window/door trim to the G37 here.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:13 AM
sXheero

As far as the popularity of it, you'll find many more threads with people who have the sedan blacking it out than you will anyone with the coupe trying to add it. Nada. Zilch. Zero instances of anyone adding chrome window/door trim to the G37 here.
I cant argue with that.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Bo2point0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would advice against the addition of chrome... unless you are from the hood and like that sort of thing.

This car is not a Chrysler 300C/poor man's Bentley.

I personally feel the amount of chrome on the car is sufficient to make it classy without being over bearing.
I also do not care for the cars that go all blacked out. Too much of anything is never good. It's all about having a balance.

Homeostasis.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
From my observations, chrome trim=luxury or the perception of.

the older demographic loves it, or does not care about it. the younger crowd, not so much.

The vert by default has it.

before

after
Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 AM
The Rabbi

Imo, the window only looks good if it outlines the entire window and you certainly can't have one without the other. The only way I find it tolerable is the way the Accord has it:

But I still think the Accord would look better with the chrome blacked out.

Quick Reply: Chrome Window Trim or Door Handles on a Coupe???