Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I just backed out of a G37S purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 AM
brainsail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just backed out of a G37S purchase

We fell in love with a lease back '08 G37S IP 6MT 37K miles with 12 months left on the Infiniti bumper to bumper warranty. The car is for sale at a non-Infiniti dealership. I took the VIN to the Infiniti dealer and was told there no service records except for the initial delivery inspection and clean up. I went back to the other dealer and asked for service records and was told there were none available. The salesman told me that I would have no problems getting any warranty work done such as engine or transmission repairs at the Infiniti dealership without service records. So, I walked.

I think I did the right thing. Is this the normal situation with most lease back cars?

Last edited by brainsail; 12-03-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
You definitely did the right thing. Walking away is better than dealing with dealership do get warranty work done. Some Infiniti dealers don't honor there own warranty what would you have to go through at a non Infiniti dealer
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Just a note, its called Infiniti not Infinity.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 AM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Originally Posted by brainsail
We fell in love with a lease back '08 G37S IP 6MT 37K miles with 12 months left on the bumber to bumber warranty at a non-Infinity dealer. I took the VIN to the Infinity dealer and was told there no service records except for the initial delivery inspection and clean up. I went back to the other dealer and asked for service records and was told there were none available. The saleman told me that I would have no problem getting any warranty work done without service records. So, I walked.

I think I did the right thing. Is this the normal situation with most lease back cars?
I think you misunderstood the salesman. "I would have no problem getting any warranty work done" does not mean you will have problems. It means the opposite = you will be okay getting warranty work without service records with your bumper to bumper warranty.
Another reason I think you must have misunderstood; (whatever was said) a salesmen usually says things that make you inclined to buy the car, not walk away. They're in the business to sell you their cars, not to make you walk away, to another dealership over there, perhaps just across the street.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
brainsail

Corrected...
Old 12-03-2011, 01:04 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by brainsail
We fell in love with a lease back '08 G37S IP 6MT 37K miles with 12 months left on the Infiniti bumper to bumper warranty. The car is for sale at a non-Infiniti dealership. I took the VIN to the Infiniti dealer and was told there no service records except for the initial delivery inspection and clean up. I went back to the other dealer and asked for service records and was told there were none available. The salesman told me that I would have no problems getting any warranty work done such as engine or transmission repairs at the Infiniti dealership without service records. So, I walked.

Infinit has NO service records on my car, except warranty work.

I change my own oil and filter every 3,500 miles. I changed the diff, and cabin filter at 12000 miles. have the alignment done every 6 months.

I have NO problems getting warranty work.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Infinit has NO service records on my car, except warranty work.

I change my own oil and filter every 3,500 miles. I changed the diff, and cabin filter at 12000 miles. have the alignment done every 6 months.

I have NO problems getting warranty work.
Yeah, I agree. I do all of my own work and any car I have ever owned has NO paper trail of work done. Does not mean it wasn't taken care of and should have no impact on warranty. I think you missed out if it was a car you liked and seemed well cared for.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:13 PM
MurderedG37s

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
I think you misunderstood the salesman. "I would have no problem getting any warranty work done" does not mean you will have problems. It means the opposite = you will be okay getting warranty work without service records with your bumper to bumper warranty.
Another reason I think you must have misunderstood; (whatever was said) a salesmen usually says things that make you inclined to buy the car, not walk away. They're in the business to sell you their cars, not to make you walk away, to another dealership over there, perhaps just across the street.
You are usually safe on a off-lease buy because the consumer must maintain the car appropriately or face neglect of property. If the car looked that good, its a decent indication that the owner took good care of it. The only thing is that every GOOD off lease is bought by the dealer. In my experience in working at Infiniti as a sales person, was that only the unwanted and poor quality off-leases went to auction. Unless an off-brand dealer thought he could sell the Infiniti for more than the buy-out price, in which he could buy it and take it on n trade. So who knows. If you had a bad feelings, go with your instinct. Smart
Old 12-03-2011, 02:20 PM
brainsail

I didn't explain my concerns very well. The point is that Infiniti does not have any records for this car either service or warranty work. Are these cars that perfect that there was not at least one issue for three years?

If I had an engine or transmission failure and took it to Infiniti to get if repaired under their warranty program and they discovered that it was a lubrication problem that caused the failure wouldn't they want proof that the correct fluids were used and changed by their recommended schedules? I fully understand that Infiniti would honor other types of warranty claims without reviewing service records.

This was a leased car and I have no proof that anything was ever done to the car. I have heard too many horror stories about lease car owners ignoring scheduled maintenance and driving the cars like they were a weekend rental for three years. We just divorced Lexus after a 12 year marriage because of their hostile and expensive repair recommendations for items that are still working. $1400 to fix the power windows because they insisted that both windows regulators need to be replaced. I refused and after reading the Club Lexus Forum for an hour I found out that a broken wire in the harness running to the door might be the problem. Two hours later I had fixed the problem myself. So, we are just being very careful and **** with our next purchase.

The G37S drove well and we will wait for another opportunity. It's raining here and I have too much time on my hands today. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by brainsail; 12-03-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-03-2011, 02:20 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
better off just to buy new. most people just beat the crap out of their cars why buy someone else's problems
Old 12-03-2011, 03:29 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
better off just to buy new. most people just beat the crap out of their cars why buy someone else's problems
2008 G37 premium/sport. MSRP $41500 in 2008. Same car two years and 21k miles later $26k. This is why I buy used. I have a problem with buying something new and losing over 15% of its value the second I sign the papers.

Buying used is always a risk, but more often than not you get a much better value for your money.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Itchytoe

That's completely not true. The vast majority of people take care of their vehicles. Just look at all of the discussions we have here on myg37.com about the right oil and fuel, and fluids... Why would you think that most people abuse their cars? That's like saying most people don't maintain their homes, or their firearms, or any other random belonging they have.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Dirt Dog

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Yeah, I agree. I think you missed out, if it was a car you liked and seemed well cared for.
I bought one just like you were looking at and have one of the best cars I have even owned. If it isn't too late, go back, eat some crow and get a good car.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Dirt Dog

Spoken like a new car saleman.........oh, wait I see your signature now...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:28 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
That's completely not true. The vast majority of people take care of their vehicles. Just look at all of the discussions we have here on myg37.com about the right oil and fuel, and fluids... Why would you think that most people abuse their cars? That's like saying most people don't maintain their homes, or their firearms, or any other random belonging they have.
there are both sides to the fence... some people like big enthusiasts will take time and really maintain their cars, and there are a lot of cheap people i see that don't even do a damn oil change for 2 years with their leased vehicles. sometimes people don't even come to the dealership for service but do their own oil changes every 3 months religiously (like myself) hence no service records.

Originally Posted by Dirt Dog
Spoken like a new car saleman.........oh, wait I see your signature now...
lol no i don't sell cars.... been there done that... i just here to give advice.
but obviously my sarcasm about the preowned Infiniti didn't amuse you.

I still think finding a clean Infiniti preowned is one of the best bangs for your buck.

I bought my 2007 G35 6MT sedan w/ 67k miles on it last year... just sold it but it drove like a dream b/c it was maintained.

you just have to be cautious with any preowned vehicle. most car companies do require some sort of maintainence record to have the warranty be valid to operate. I just went through that with Porsche -- since one of the oil changes was at another dealership they gave me a hard time.

Quick Reply: I just backed out of a G37S purchase