G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How would you feel if you received a car like this? LONG READ!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 PM
MR Feelgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you feel if you received a car like this? LONG READ!

So I found a 2009 Infiniti G37X coupe with 4,700 miles advertised online from an Infiniti dealership. Price looked good so I gave them a call to discuss the overall condition of the vehicle. The very first thing I asked the salesmen was if the car had ever been in an accident or had any body/paint. He referred back to the Carfax report which was clean and showed only having one owner. This particular salesman went on to say that he personally took this car on in a trade and he inspected the car himself and claimed it was like brand new with nothing wrong. Being that the car only had 4,700 miles I took his word for it and bought the car. Sent a cashiers check to them for the agreed upon amount and had the car delivered to me about 8 days later.

I was not personally able to be home for the delivery of the car since it was during work hours but had a friend there to pick it up for me. He called me after it was dropped off and said that overall it looked good except for a fairly large dent in the drivers side fender. When I got home I saw the dent and also noticed that the tires were in horrible condition. They looked almost like they were melted on they were also severely cracked and dry rotted. I immediately called the dealership back to inform them of these problems I found. During this process they tried to blame the shipping company for the dent but after 7 days of back and fourth they agreed to have the dent fixed. I sent him pictures of the tires and he verbally said to me" yes it appears that there is something wrong with those tires". However he said they would not put new ones on.

While this did aggrevate me I decided to move on and figured I would have to buy new tires. After about two weeks of having the car I decided to detail it inside and out. What I found was shocking and lead me to believe there was some kind of bad history that went along with this car that I was not told about. This is what I found.

1. There is a dent in the front drivers side fender
2. All four tires look melted and are severely cracked
3. The drivers seat has been repainted - Tan overs pray on center console, tape lines where the Infiniti logo was masked off, paint cracking and flaking off top of seat
4. Red over spray on exhaust tips, muffler, and bumper foam
5. Heavy clear coat drippings on bumper and over all wavy paint
6. Front bumper has tape lines where it was masked off - Paint has hundreds of tiny pinholes all through it and red overspray in front grille
7. All four wheels are dull and tarnished - Looks like silver spray paint on wheels that won't come off
8. Oil was supposedly literally just changed but looks dark and dirty
9. Driver's side door jam is very rough and has lots of orange peel as if it were repainted
10. Corners of gauge pod were peeling up

I called them back after finding this out and immediately skipped over the salesmen knowing they weren't going to be of any help and talked to the general sales manager. He claimed he did not know any of this but would look through their records for the car and see if they had anything about paintwork. As you would expect, they had "RO's" for extensive paintwork, wheel repair, and alignment that were done to the car fairly recently. He claimed that it was purely cosmetic and from scratches.

I said this was unacceptable and that I did not want the car. I feel that this was fraud since they knew about the paint work that was done but denied anything about it when I asked them during the initial phone call. I have now been dealing with the general sales manager and he said they would take the car back and fix the shotty paint work, seat, and tires. However I turned this down since they are 350 miles away from me and I don't want a car with all kinds of paint work on it. If and when I go to sell the car somewhere down the line, I don't want to have explain to someone why there is all kinds of paint work done to the car. This would obviously lower the overall value of the car as well.

Where I am at right now, is that I am still in contact with the GM but he is trying to push me into a "new" car for an additional $10,000. All I want is a refund and to move on. They will not take the car back. Today I contacted Infiniti consumer affairs and made a claim with them. I also am going to file a claim with the BBB this evening. I don't want to but it seems like I may have to get legal advice as well. I have been very level headed about this entire ordeal and have avoided losing my cool.

**Now keep in mind, I have not driven this car 1 mile since it has been dropped off in my driveway. It has been in my garage and has not moved since the day it was dropped off.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Why would you consider buying a used car without confirming for yourself what the condition of it was before you layed even a dime out for it? I mean I feel bad for you cuz now you have to deal with lawyers most likely but your just asking for stuff like this when you buy a car you haven't personally seen yet
Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 PM
MR Feelgood

The fact that it was from an Infiniti dealership, had under 5k miles, and supposedly a clean record seemed good enough. If the car had higher mileage, was from a private party, or was really expensive then I would have had a PPI done.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The key word there is supposedly. Clearly that wasn't the case.. I'm not condemning you for buying it without looking at it first I'm just disgusted by the fact that people aren't honest enough so that you can buy a car with confidence
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
First let me say that I feel for u and ur sales guy was definitely a shady individual.I don't know that u ll be able to get a full refund but a reasonable solution would be for them to locate another G of equal value with no damage and exchange it. It already appears that u are taking all the right steps so I really hope they give u a proper resolution soon. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:31 PM
vistec

great pictures. very detailed. you have a great case here. get you money back and settle for nothing less. best of luck to you!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I couldn't imagine not looking over a possible purchase with a fine tooth comb, even taking it to an independent mechanic or body guy to look it over. I wont even buy jeans without trying them on. Crazy.....Good luck
Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I can sympathize with OP. A car with what amounts to a few months worth of miles...what are the chances it could be delivered like that?

I know life can be busy but I hope this teaches you to be more thorough in your car purchases.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
The Rabbi

I don't know what state you're in but in Texas dealerships have to disclose all known issues with a car. I looked at a car here and I could tell the front seemed a little off upon very close inspection of the paneling and when I asked if it had any issues he said the front fender was painted and one rim was replaced because the previous owner curb hopped it, this was not listed on the Carfax. A lot of issues are NOT on Carfax reports, not even close.

Based on those pictures any reasonable person (legal definition) would say the car had "issues" and those were not disclosed to you before purchase. You can always threaten litigation (even if you have no intent to sue) which can often times be enough for a dealership to cave in, it's not really worth their time to try and fight it.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Dimitry6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I THINK your are to blame HOW DO YOU BUY A CAR WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT IN PERSON!!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 PM
jdmproducer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey man I feel bad for you. I purchased my G out of state but I made sure the dealer took High Def shots of the car. Unfortunately when my car arrived I had an unexpected dent on the door and a painted front bumper they failed to mention/disclose!! Doesent matter to me cause I ended up molding a lip to the front bumper But yours looks like they really pulled a fast one. Good Luck!

I was the same way thinking cause the miles were low how could there ever be something wrong. Bottom line dont buy unless you physically see the car
Old 11-22-2011, 02:54 PM
davv1215

Sorry to hear this is happening. Not trying to come down on you with this question, but how did you buy a car w/o inspecting it? I inspected my lease of a brand new car. Also, where is this car from (NE)? It's possible it was damaged in the hail storm and that was what was fixed. Because the amount of work that was done (although it was sloppy) had to cost a pretty penny. Usually when damage is that high, people go through insurance companies. Not sure why the car fax would be clean though. Another question, there's evidence of body work, yet there's a dent in the fender. Wtf?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:03 PM
The Rabbi

Usually when damage is that high, people go through insurance companies. Not sure why the car fax would be clean though.
Not all insurance claims show up on the Carfax; I replaced both the front and rear bumpers, front passenger side fender and trunk on my Eclipse and none of it showed up on the Carfax. All were hit and runs and all were claims on my own insurance.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:12 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Years back my own vehicle was in a bad wreck.. $$$$$ in damages, in fact, the adjuster told me had they known there was going to be that much, they'd total out the car. Years later, I run a carfax on it, clean as a whistle. Not even a hint of the repairs/damages that occurred. Since then, I consider carfax useless, and just a guideline to see *some* of the vehicle's history, nothing more.

350 miles is 6-7 hr drive. For a $30K car, I'd take the time to do it, or pass on it for a more local deal.

4700 miles is very low miles for a 3 (4?) yr old car.

Good luck with this headache. Might be a good idea to consult an attorney too.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM
MurderedG37s

God damn that is ****ed up. Just gives Infiniti dealers a bad name. I would say maybe threaten with mitigation and going to the BBB. That is definitly a bad look in the eyes of the dealership. But in there defense you did buy the car, really there is no "returns". But in this case, that car is FUBAR. Man, that blows. I mean you didn't look at the car before you bought it, but you did speak to a Infiniti Dealer who said it was perfect. Thats f*cked. I don't know man. I would fight that **** to the death. But they will claim its a used car and all sales are final ect ect. I am surprised they even had a car like that on the lot to tell you the truth. You would think if they were to cover it up, it would have been done well enough for you not to even notice. Its like they didnt even TRY

Quick Reply: How would you feel if you received a car like this? LONG READ!