G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How would you feel if you received a car like this? LONG READ!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:10 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
This is some shoddy repairs at best. I'd lawyer up and then turn around and sue for attorney fees. They're counting on you wasting time negotiating with them. Your first move should be your best move.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:16 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Painted seats? Wow...that car definitely has some skeletons in the closet. Sorry to hear man...gl with getting things corrected...
Old 11-22-2011, 04:48 PM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Good luck and I agree with the Carfax & Autocheck being garbage. My 07 Avalanche burnt in my driveway, and had $26,000 worth of repair on the interior, new EVERYTHING front the carpet to the headliner, and none of it showed on the carfax. The insurance even told us they don't report it (Allstate) and that usually it was only seen through Police reports. They are a good guideline, but they don't really mean too much.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Were are you located? I would fight this till then end. This is messed up.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 PM
HBSURFDAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to be an ***, but do you have anything in writing saying this car had no work done? Can you prove someone actually lied? To some this is "good condition".

"Buyer beware" is the default in the USA, it is not the dealers fault you don't like what you bought, it is your's unless you can prove deception.

HBSURFDAD
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That car was clearly in an accident, and sat in the sun for a year or two leading to the tires and seats being damaged and the undercarriage getting rusty. A 2009 that's close to 3 years old with under 5k on the clock raises serious red flags in my mind. It's possible to be someone's weekend fun car with that mileage, but for most cars it means an accident IMO.

Get a lawyer, serve them papers. You've already tried the "see if they will work with you nicely" route and it failed. I never threaten legal action, I just serve people and it always gets the desired response.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM
MR Feelgood

I am in Pennsylvania. Since I started driving about ten years ago, I have bought and owned over 25 different vehicles including Ferrari, BMW, Viper, Porsche, 3000GT, Mercedes, etc. I would say that 90% of them were bought online. For the more expensive cars "50k+", I always have a PPI done by a mechanic or independent shop that may be close to the seller. I always run a Carfax and Autocheck before I buy a car to get a peak into the vehicles history. I do however know that these reports do not show everything about the car. The only stuff that gets reported to them is when it is in/out of the dealer and stuff that is reported to the police. In my younger days, I would travel to where the car was at and pick it up in person. Lately however I have become busier and just do not have the time to do that anymore. Especially when you can get a vehicle shipped to your front door for less then it would cost to drive there. Believe me, I am not saying that this is the correct way to buy a car but it has been working well for me up until now. Whenever you use the entire country to shop for a vehicle, you are able to find amazing deals.

This situation would have been different if I were buying the car from "Joe's Backyard Car Lot" but I never would have expected this from an established Infiniti dealership. I do have a lot of knowledge about buying/selling vehicles and can honestly say that this is the first time I have ever been burned like this. As I understand it, a dealer does not have to disclose to previous damage or paint work unless the value exceeds a certain percent "3%?" on a new car. On a used car they do not have to disclose anything unless they are asked about it "my situation". If they have knowledge of previous repair work that has been done, then they have to tell you about it if you ask them. If not it is considered fraud or misrepresentation. I guess in the end, at least I learned a lesson and will have an inspection done on ALL the cars I buy from here on out, regardless of mileage or age.

At the moment the dealership is trying to up sell me into a new car for an additional $10k which I quickly declined. They then said they would pick the car up at my house and bring it back to the dealership to be fixed at their dealership again. I quickly declined this also since in my mind I know this car must have some bad history hiding inside of it. Infiniti Consumer Affairs said they would call me back in 2 business days and in the meantime I plan on filing a complaint with the BBB. I have been very level headed about the situation up until a few days ago and am at my wits end. This back and fourth with them has been going on for 3-4 weeks now and the car is just sitting in my garage not being driven. My last mode of defense would be seeking legal help but am trying to avoid that at all costs.

**Whenever they sent me the paperwork to fill out, there was a check box for me to initial stating that I personally inspected the car and found no damage or imperfections. I did not initial there and told them I was not comfortable in doing that since I never seen the car other then the pictures they had online.

Last edited by MR Feelgood; 11-22-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: info
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Itchytoe

You purchased a vehicle without inspecting it. I don't feel sorry for you. You have absolutely no legal recourse. I'd suggest taking whatever they offer you. They don't have to do anything for you. The deal is done.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
damn, thats horrible.

Best of luck man.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Way2flyy

Goin thru a similar situation, death to all scam dealers will post a thread soon.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
no offense but you are purchasing a preowned vehicle without physically looking at it.

it could've happened at any dealer but unfortunately if it's a cheaper price, then you shoudl've suspected something.

sounds the same issue that Rihanna the artist did -- bought a home w/o inspection and its junk.... Rihanna's Home On The Market For $4.5 Million (PHOTOS)
Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 AM
The Rabbi

You have absolutely no legal recourse. I'd suggest taking whatever they offer you. They don't have to do anything for you. The deal is done.
This is simply not true, even "as is" sales have legal recourse under certain circumstances. It also just so happens that those conditions are very clearly defined for the auto industry. For example, if a car is a reconditioned lemon that has to be disclosed, if it's had any kind of flood/hail/fire/etc. damage it must be disclosed, etc. We do not know what was disclosed during this process so we lack the knowledge to make this judgement call. If it becomes a he-said-she-said case based on a verbal agreement (which is still binding, I might add) then there's no telling who will win the case, it would depend on the judge you get.

I cannot stress this enough, I would definitely seek legal counsel. The most expensive legal counsel I've seen ran around $400/hr (extreme) and I would still gladly pay that to hear my options before I'd accept anything short of a full refund. I'm also curious what Infiniti HQ has to say on the matter, if it was an Infiniti franchised dealership. Luxury car manufacturers work very hard on their reputation and don't want to be associated with scam artists and could threaten to decertify that dealership.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 AM
rabbit

^ I would listen to this guy. Of course you have legal recourse. This is America.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 AM
rabbit

Originally Posted by fluxemag
Get a lawyer, serve them papers. You've already tried the "see if they will work with you nicely" route and it failed. I never threaten legal action, I just serve people and it always gets the desired response.
+1

If they already said no refund and gave you the only option of buying another car for 10k more, I doubt they're going to come back to you on their own accord and make you a better offer (or give you the refund). They need a kick in the *** to wake them up. This is it.

Last edited by rabbit; 11-23-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Forgot the +1, haha
Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by The Rabbi
This is simply not true, even "as is" sales have legal recourse under certain circumstances. It also just so happens that those conditions are very clearly defined for the auto industry. For example, if a car is a reconditioned lemon that has to be disclosed, if it's had any kind of flood/hail/fire/etc. damage it must be disclosed, etc. We do not know what was disclosed during this process so we lack the knowledge to make this judgement call. If it becomes a he-said-she-said case based on a verbal agreement (which is still binding, I might add) then there's no telling who will win the case, it would depend on the judge you get.

I cannot stress this enough, I would definitely seek legal counsel. The most expensive legal counsel I've seen ran around $400/hr (extreme) and I would still gladly pay that to hear my options before I'd accept anything short of a full refund. I'm also curious what Infiniti HQ has to say on the matter, if it was an Infiniti franchised dealership. Luxury car manufacturers work very hard on their reputation and don't want to be associated with scam artists and could threaten to decertify that dealership.
While this all sounds good and true, that is not the fact. I bought an 07 Avalanche (not the one mentioned above but another) and later found out it had frame damage, fought it for almost a year, and it comes down to, as is. Different states may handle it different, but in Florida they do not have to disclose anything, it's up to the buyer to have it inspected prior to purchase. The truth of the matter is, the used auto industry has a bad name, because they don't have a whole lot of laws helping the buyer protect themselves. It's used and it is what it is. The person who traded the car in may not have told them the full story, and the dealer can only relay what they know.

Good luck with getting anything back, but your best bet is to let them fix what they have offered, too much bickering back and forth and you may end up stuck with the car and nothing fixed. Take what they have to offer, and if it is still not satisfactory after they do their part, then you will have more room to push. Replace the seat covers, and have them repaint the bumpers, and remove the overspray with a thinner.

I know it sucks, but the best bet is to suck it up and have it fixed properly. Or spend $400 out of pocket, get an aero bumper, change the exhaust, and throw on a rear diffuser and all of it will be gone. This is all part of the internet game, I've sold cars on ebay, and bought a motorcycle off ebay, and never had problems, but there is always that one that gets snuck in.

Quick Reply: How would you feel if you received a car like this? LONG READ!