G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Finally making the plunge. What's the skinny with this G37 ad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:24 PM
SNsLude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apcrump
Be carefully with the Gen Coupe.
Originally Posted by The Rabbi
One other thing that stood out to me on the CarFax is that the second owner took it in to get the engine/powertrain inspected and then listed it for sale 20 miles later. Granted, we have no idea what that inspection turned up but that's a major red flag there.

Ditto what apcrump said about the Gen Coupe.
Ah, do share what you guys have heard. I'm a fish out of water right now as I'm going back and forth trying to narrow down my list of cars. I have nil experience or knowledge about korean brands and for the most part, up until now, have read mostly positive reviews on the gen coupe.

So far I've heard nothing but positive stuff about infiniti's reliability and service, but for the price of a used g37, I could get a brand new gen coupe. Of course if reliability is an issue with the gen coupes, the g37 will be settled. I guess I should be going to a hyundai forum though for more on them haha.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 PM
The Rabbi

I should clarify that the m/t is what led me away from the Gen Coupe, I don't know how the a/t stands up. The m/t on the Gen Coupe is known to have many issues and Hyundai has given people the run around on it. The most common issue is the flywheel needing to be replaced and the transmission fluid not being good enough. Plus the shifting on it is just much rougher than it needs to be, the G37 shifts like a knife in better compared to the Gen Coupe. Drive an m/t Gen Coupe compared to a G37 and you'll have a completely different experience with the transmission. However, the ride is very comparable, although the G37 is still a bit more refined. As for the interior, in hotter climates the dash is known to sag, in cooler climates the car is known to have rough starting issues. And a lot of people have complained about annoying rattles, leaky sunroofs, soft paint, cheap and easily scratched plastic paneling, sub par Bluetooth functionality and overall "cheap" quality materials.

I should also say that my information is from researching (and some test driving) and I haven't ever actually owned a Gen Coupe, although I do know that apcrump has and upgrade to the G37 shortly after. I did however used to own a Mitsubishi Eclipse which was a terrible car in every regard, it just completely fell apart both mechanically and cosmetically so I'm very hesitant to repeat that experience with the Gen Coupe. So as far as quality and reliability is concerned there's no way I would pass on a 2 year old G for a Gen Coupe. Honestly, if money was a concern I'd probably go with a V6 Accord Coupe but it's FWD and more of a DD so you will definitely not have the same sporty feel.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 AM
SNsLude

Thanks. I actually followed up on the gen coupe forums and they actually have a sticky titled "COMMON ISSUES" with the manual transmission being a huge and long thread.

Most of the used G37's I'm looking at have anywhere from 30-50k miles. Are there any major tune ups or items on the car that should have been changed or will need changing around this interval?

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:05 PM
SNsLude

bump bump bump!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 AM
SNsLude

Not sure if anyone is still following, but please, I'd appreciate the thoughts on this!

I'm back and forth.

Whatcha guys think? Brand new accord coupe or used g37s? Gen coupe is out, was researching on the gen coupe forums and they have too many issues. My price range is up to $30k.

Most of the used g37's I'm finding in my price range have 30k-40k+ miles on it.

Help me decide the pros and cons please! (keep in mind I always have a moto for fun, power, and speed).

Accord coupe +'s:

Brand new car
Great on gas
Reliable

Accord coupe -'s

Not too fond of the rear, but overall pleased with the look
Can't think of any other cons?

G37s +'s:

Nicer looking
More power
fun?

G37s -'s:

Used
Not sure how reliable these guys are, especially since used?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Itchytoe

The accord and the G37S are two completely different vehicles. In one hand, you're getting a family sedan with just two doors instead of the normal four. In the other hand, you're getting the best luxury/sports coupe you can that won't cost you 6 months salary.

What are your priorities? That will tell you which one you want.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:28 AM
SNsLude

Well now I'm thinking about just purchasing a brand new g37s. My company is part of the Vehicle Purchase Program found at Inside Nissan USA | Nissan and Infiniti Vehicle Purchase Program. I read about this on another forum.

I guess we'll see where this takes me.

If someone could please clarify; the only model out of the four below to have a manual tranny is the last one correct-- signified by the "S" badge on the back of the car? The reason I ask is there was a little confusion at the dealership I went to; they had a few coupes without the "S" badge, yet it was still a manual. Maybe I was mistaken.

G37 Coupe

G37 Coupe Journey

G37x Coupe AWD

G37 Coupe Sport 6MT

Last edited by SNsLude; 11-26-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:35 AM
davv1215

The 6MT is def a sport model. If you can, get a new coupe. If $30k is your price range, for 7-10k more you can get a new one. I got the dealer down from msrp of $45 down to $40 on an '11, which may not be the best deal, but I don't think it's bad (in Sept). If they have some '11s left over, you might get a larger discount.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:56 PM
SNsLude

Originally Posted by davv1215
The 6MT is def a sport model. If you can, get a new coupe. If $30k is your price range, for 7-10k more you can get a new one. I got the dealer down from msrp of $45 down to $40 on an '11, which may not be the best deal, but I don't think it's bad (in Sept). If they have some '11s left over, you might get a larger discount.
Thanks. Could you or someone clarify on this? Sport model = has the sport package? Or is this something different? The guy at the dealership confused me a little. He said not all "S" models were manual and some models that weren't "S" (badge) had manual?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SNsLude

Not too fond of the rear, but overall pleased with the look
Can't think of any other cons?
I can think of a big con with the Accord coupe...

FWD

Genesis has QC issues and isn't as solid of a car
Accord Coupe turns the wrong wheels if you're an enthusiast.

Unless you're hell bent on buying new, buy a nice pre-owned G and be happy
Old 11-26-2011, 04:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by SNsLude
Thanks. Could you or someone clarify on this? Sport model = has the sport package? Or is this something different? The guy at the dealership confused me a little. He said not all "S" models were manual and some models that weren't "S" (badge) had manual?
If we're talking about a sedan, you can have a sport package without it being a manual. However, you can't have a manual without it also being a sport.

On the coupe side, the same applies. In fact, you can even get awd and the true sport package (brakes, suspension, etc, upgrades).

In other words, on both sedan and coupe, a manual ONLY comes with the sports package (big brakes, tighter steering, suspension upgrades, etc..)

Sport Package (coupe)

(Requires Premium Package and Navigation Package. Not available with Performance Tire and Wheel Package.
Not available with Wheat interior.)
19 x 8.5-inch, split V-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/45R19 W-rated summer performance tires (front
19 x 9.0-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 245/40R19 W-rated summer performance tires (rear)—RWD model
19 x 8.5-inch, split V-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/45R19 all-season performance tires—AWD mode
Sport-tuned suspension
Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD)
Sport brakes with 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14-inch rotors and 2-piston opposed rear calipers with
13.8-inch rotors
Sport front fascia
Solid-magnesium paddle shifters
14.7:1 Sport-tuned steering gear (G37 Coupe Journey only)
12-way power driver’s sport seat with manual thigh extension, and driver’s power torso and thigh support
adjustment; 8-way power front-passenger’s sport seat
Aluminum pedals and footrest

Sport package (sedan)
Sport Package (rwd)
(Requires Premium and Navigation Packages. Not available with Performance Tire and Wheel Package.
Not available with Wheat interior.)
18 x 7.5-inch (front) and 18 x 8.5-inch (rear), split 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 W-rated
summer performance tires (front) and 245/45R18 W-rated summer performance tires (rear)
Sport-tuned suspension
14.7:1 Sport-tuned steering gear
Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD)
Sport brakes with 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14-inch rotors and 2-piston opposed rear calipers
with 13.8-inch rotors
Sport front fascia, side sills and unique sport headlights
Solid-magnesium paddle shifters
12-way power driver’s sport seat, including manual thigh extension and driver’s power torso and thigh side
support adjustments; 8-way power front-passenger's sport seat with manual thigh extension
Aluminum pedals and footrest

Final note, the sport package on the sedan awd trim is a joke, and not really a sport package as you don't get the bbk, summer only tires, tighter steering, and suspension upgrade. The 'sports' upgrades are more superficial than functional.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:33 PM
phreekeeG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jsolo
..you can have a sport package without it being a manual. However, you can't have a manual without it also being a sport.
I agree with this. I tried "build your own" for every model and can only get m/t with the Sport models.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
In other words, on both sedan and coupe, a manual ONLY comes with the sports package (big brakes, tighter steering, suspension upgrades, etc..)
I disagree with the way this was worded. Manual ONLY comes with the sport MODEL, not the sport PACKAGE. The sport package option is available for the automatics and comes with the upgraded suspension, brakes, paddle shifters, etc, but the sport "package" does not offer manual transmission.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:32 AM
SNsLude

Originally Posted by phreekeeG
I agree with this. I tried "build your own" for every model and can only get m/t with the Sport models.

I disagree with the way this was worded. Manual ONLY comes with the sport MODEL, not the sport PACKAGE. The sport package option is available for the automatics and comes with the upgraded suspension, brakes, paddle shifters, etc, but the sport "package" does not offer manual transmission.
Regarding the "S" badge on the back of the car-- does that signify that it's the sport MODEL or PACKAGE?

See this ad (not buying this car, but just for example purposes):

http://www.carsmithmotors.com/web/us...ornia/1933122/

It says on the ad that it's a G37 Sport Coupe and the photos show that it has the "G37S" badge on the back, yet it's MANUAL. According to you and Infiniti's website, the 6MT models DO NOT have sport package available? Is this a bad case of trying to scam the less informed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similarly:

http://www.carsmithmotors.com/web/us...ornia/1932555/

Another "S" coupe, yet this one is an Auto.

Sorry for the confusion, just trying to narrow this down for myself.

Last edited by SNsLude; 11-27-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^I think your confusion lies in the difference between the two.

More specifically, there's a sport appearance package, which IIRC adds different spoilers, front fascia, and some other cosmetic changes. Then there's a sport model, which adds the changes I posted in post #26.

In your post above, the first car is a sports model, as is the second, with the only difference being an automatic instead of a manual.

As of current, the manual (in either coupe or sedan) is only offered with the upgrades that a sport model provides. I should of used the term model rather than package above to be more precise.

According to edmunds (2011 Infiniti G Sedan) The Sport Appearance package adds the Premium items plus a rear spoiler, chin spoiler and 18-inch wheels.

For 2012, I don't even see a sport appearance package or option offered.

Bottom line, if you want a manual, it'll come with everything a sports model offers (premium and navigation). If you want an auto, you can get it with the sports option or not, and have a bit more ala carte selection as far as other options go.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
get the sedan 6mt!

Quick Reply: Finally making the plunge. What's the skinny with this G37 ad?