Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Amon_Ra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery issue

I'm aware there is a TSB for the '08 G battery, but just wanted to get some input from you guys.

So over the past couple of days the car hasn't been starting (battery problem). Giving the car a jump start has been the solution and it runs fine and the battery will still hold some charge for later restarts, but when the car sits overnight it needs to be jump started.

Went to Autozone today and they ran a diagnostic on the battery and said it was absolutely fine (the car had been running for about 30 mins FYI). The tech told me even though the car was running, if the battery needed to be replaced it would have failed the diagnostic test.

The car was broken into a couple of weeks ago (they broke the lock on the driver side using a screwdriver or something of the sort and got the windows to roll down). There were some electronic problems after that (no warning sound when the lights were left on and locking the car with the fob or the door handle button would cause the windows to roll down. The car has been fixed and everything seems to be working normally but I just mentioned it just in case it had anything to do with battery drain.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will have to hook up an amp meter in series with one of your battery terminals and measure what the draw is with the car off and everything shut down. There is a spec for how many milliamps of current draw there should be, but unfortunately I don't know that number off hand.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I’m not sure my problem is the same as yours. I sometimes go two or three days between starts, and for my ’08 I noticed it was getting a bit harder to start even with my second battery and vent valve replaced under warranty as per the TSB.

Thinking that I may soon have a dead battery, I purchased a charger and fully charged the battery one day. Surprisingly, it has been starting up perfectly ever since even though I still may not use the car for a few days. It’s been a two months now, and I’ve never had to use the charger again. I’m really not sure why it worked, but it did.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Amon_Ra

Originally Posted by mikelr
You will have to hook up an amp meter in series with one of your battery terminals and measure what the draw is with the car off and everything shut down. There is a spec for how many milliamps of current draw there should be, but unfortunately I don't know that number off hand.
Not sure if the diagnostic tool used is an amp meter but he did have me turn the car off when he ran the test a couple of times.

Originally Posted by Chekov
I’m not sure my problem is the same as yours. I sometimes go two or three days between starts, and for my ’08 I noticed it was getting a bit harder to start even with my second battery and vent valve replaced under warranty as per the TSB.

Thinking that I may soon have a dead battery, I purchased a charger and fully charged the battery one day. Surprisingly, it has been starting up perfectly ever since even though I still may not use the car for a few days. It’s been a two months now, and I’ve never had to use the charger again. I’m really not sure why it worked, but it did.
this is the original battery I got when the car was purchased with 13k miles (currently sitting at 45k). I don't mind replacing the battery but if it doesn't need replacing I'd rather not do it. When you mention charging the battery, what kind of charger did you purchase?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Amon_Ra
When you mention charging the battery, what kind of charger did you purchase?
It’s a 6 amp Speed/Charge, model 600A. It only cost me $40 at Pep Boys.

If you have the original battery that means the car may not have had the vent valve replaced as per the TSB, that was thought to drain the battery unnecessarily, so that’s something that still may need to be done. Also, my second battery, replaced free by the dealer, is a better battery. Having said that, your original battery was only under warranty for two years, so you’ll probably have to pay for a replacement if you decide to do that.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Amon_Ra

Originally Posted by Chekov
It’s a 6 amp Speed/Charge, model 600A. It only cost me $40 at Pep Boys.

If you have the original battery that means the car may not have had the vent valve replaced as per the TSB, that was thought to drain the battery unnecessarily, so that’s something that still may need to be done. Also, my second battery, replaced free by the dealer, is a better battery. Having said that, your original battery was only under warranty for two years, so you’ll probably have to pay for a replacement if you decide to do that.
I don't think the TSB was performed on this car (original battery)...I'll look into the charger at Pep Boys or simply replace the battery on Tuesday
Old 11-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Amon_Ra
I don't think the TSB was performed on this car (original battery)...I'll look into the charger at Pep Boys or simply replace the battery on Tuesday
My fear is that if the vent valve was not replaced as directed by the TSB the problem may continue even with a new battery.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Amon_Ra

Thank you I'll take that into consideration...

The car sat for three days friday to monday while we had snow in the Northeast...the start got progressively weaker up until thursday were it just wouldn't start, before that there were no signs of the battery weakening (I think this was in line as the description with the TSB).
Old 11-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
IF the TSB has not been performed and you have that issue it will drain your new battery eventually. It will happen faster if your car sits for long periods. If you drive it daily then it will take a while longer but it will still happen.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This sounds all too familiar. I'm on my third battery in my 08 G. The first one died out of the battery warranty, so I ended up paying for the new battery. They didn't apply the TSB then. The second died within the warranty period. They performed the VCV replacement and gave me the M battery. I haven't had a problem since, but my starts are definitely not as crisp as they were before. I wouldn't be surprised if my battery dies again within six months (hopefully not).

Chekov, I like your charger idea, I may have to go pick one up myself if I ever encounter this problem again.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Amon_Ra

car battery covered under bumper to bumper warranty? They ended up replacing it since my warranty doesn't expire till next year...But thank you guys for mentioning the TSB