Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ran over a median....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 AM
G37MA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran over a median....

I have babied this car but made my first mistake with it on Sat. night during the light snow storm we had in the boston area. I was leaving best buy and my windshield wasn't fully defrosted but I decided to drive anyway since I was running late to dinner. I am making a left hand turn out of the watertown parking lot and rush through the light as it is turning yellow and cut the wheel left a little tight and end up jumping a small median strip I didn't realize was there. My front left tire goes flat and I hear the engine cover below the car scrape the strip. After getting my spare on and inspecting the undercarriage of the car it looks like I got lucky and only the shroud is damaged but on my drive home there seems to be a droan now which I'm hoping is only due to the spare. Wish me luck, I have an appointment on Wed. I feel like a complete idiot and I know it's an accident but my car was pristine until this. SMH
Old 10-31-2011, 11:45 AM
G37MA

As a side note I am thankful I never lowered this car or was in my old S because I don't think it would have cleared the curb and would have ended up stuck or scraping the entire bottom side of my car.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:49 AM
davv1215

Sorry to hear that. This is one of the reasons why I have a beater for bad weather. Keep the baby home. That sucks. I scraped the bottom left side of my bumper within 2 weeks of having the car. Not bad but I'm still kicking myself over it.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:08 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Sorry man, know exactly where that is. Over there all the time..I've almost done the same thing , But was becasue I was talking to the wife and not looking. :/.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM
G37MA

yeah it was totally my own fault thats what sucks, the edges of my winshield were not defrosted so I could see far away just fine but not stuff directly next to me.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:26 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
dude, the same thing happened to me this weekend.
my car started to have this noticeable pulsating hum that is barely noticeable at low rpms but when i cruise at around 2.5k its somewhat noticeable.
i can only imagine it to be what people call 'drone'. is there anything wrong with my car? D:
Old 10-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Midian

Wow that really sucks....did you check if your wheel bent?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:09 PM
G37MA

I am having my wheels checked during my appointment on Wed. If the total damage is more than 500 I may just make a claim because contrary to what peopl ehave told me my insurance has not fluctuated much over the years even with tickets, but never had an accident that was my fault.
As for the noise I don't remeber hearing this when I realized I had a flat and pulled down to the home depot parking lot so I think it may be the brand new spare tire...that at least is my hope. I can't see me having to much damage though because the rest of the car cleared and the only noise I heard turned out to be the shroud scraping for a second or two.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 PM
MisterC

Was this near the Aresenal mall? Haven't been there in a while. Last time I WAS there I had a similar incident happen to a friend's car. If it's the same curb I'm thinking about, I'm glad you're still alive! I've seen him hop curbs before, but never popped a tire on one. That one curb has spikes mounted on it or something because it tore up his tire pretty bad.

Hope they sort out your wheel for you. If it's a rubbing groan, it's probably just the tire. I usually associate the sound with the sound you get when riding a mountain bike on pavement.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:34 PM
JackM829

Once you make a claim, your insurance will go out. Not sure who you have, but my State Farm insurance went up about $80 after i hit a decorative rock last year (not in the G37, in my old car).

$80 isn't much, but I'd avoid claims if you can unless it's really pricey. Once you have too many claims, they'll just drop you.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Soliditude

That humming sound you guys are talking about usually comes from wheel damage. Your wheel itself might be bent or you may have some of the components holding the wheel damaged/bent. That hum isn't normal, so get it checked out.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM
G37MA

That's what I am afraid of but I'm not paying more than 500 much rather pay the increase
Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 PM
G37MA

i just took the g for a test drive and the the sound is similar to that mountain bike sound that someone mentioned above. It isn't tied to the drive train i dont think as it makes the same noise in neutral rolling down a hill. I only hear the sound at around 5 mph when slowing down. When accelerating through the rpm range it sounds fine with no issues
Old 11-01-2011, 05:28 PM
LIKE-A-G

I hate reading stories like this! But sounds
Like it wasnt too bad!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 AM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
damn sorry to hear that man

Quick Reply: Ran over a median....