Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tell me the pro's and con's of a g37

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 AM
proxy001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great car,
good dynamic capabilities with the right tires, easy to have fun , esp very efficient.

Cons: dangerous blind spot left side. I always turn my head to check before changing lanes.
Gas mileage is not the best for this size engine.
Torque is so so, meaning switching gears is often required
Lack of sports feeling?

Overall you cant go wrong whatever you need: it is sporty, comfy, fun, elegant...everything.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 AM
davv1215

You can't have it all for $40k, so considering the price, it's pretty good. If you want more from a car you have to spend more.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:37 PM
2008G37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only thing bad I have to say is with the automatic. The paddle shifters are horrible. The car dont shift at WOT with them when you want it to at all (or even part throttle). You hit a paddle shifter and the shift should be instant right then and there, not going another 1K rpm or deciding on its own when it wants to shift. The DS mode is crap as well.

The leather seats have 33K on them and no cracks or bubbles anywhere. No other complaints other than my wife really doesn't like the car for whatever reasons (its her daily driver commute car)

Last edited by 2008G37s; 10-30-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Snypos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone else has pretty much covered the pros and cons of this car. I will say I would suggest the S model for the improved brakes and the rims look better. As for working on it, it is like any other Nissan, meaning it is completely possible to work on the car, but a bit of a pain in the @$$. I am a beginner at mechanical work, however I just did the whole 30k maintenance myself, plus I've installed a lot of aftermarket components myself. What makes it difficult most of the time is the need for specific tools or parts, and space is lacking in the engine bay, but really it isn't too hard to work on. Some people mentioned about the leather seats cracking and bubbling, if you get the bumper to bumper warranty the dealership will replace the seats for free.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:52 PM
apcrump

Originally Posted by s2ktoEvo
Condoms don't stop things like genital warts, something to consider.
LOL
Old 10-30-2011, 12:57 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
For the blind spot complaint, get one of these mounted at the outer lower or upper part of the mirror.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1VEME

Make sure you order from 'hires automotive'. $1.40 shipped for each mirror. Can't beat the price locally where they're $3 a pop.

Anyways, the bezel on these is aluminum so less of a visible gap than the ones that use a plastic trim. Every car (and bike) I've own(ed) has one of these installed. Makes seeing the blind spot instantaneous without contorting your head/neck. Quick glance and you see right away if something is there or not. I'll typically install these on both sides.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Itchytoe

Even better option for the blind spot complaint is properly adjusting your mirrors. Little hint, if you can see your own car in your side mirrors, you're wrong!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 PM
ncpalafox
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow i came from a modded mk4 gti vr6 24v myself to my current 11 g37s coupe. im also 5'5 lmao btw i sit in my g in the lowest seat setting and can see just fine. honestly at first driving this car felt like driving a boat compared to my gti.

pros: (IMO)
-looks
-speed
-comfort
-tech features
-audio
-exhaust note
-adjustable drivers seat bolsters (sport seats)
-navi interface
-rear view camera and back up sensors (love them!)

cons:
-blind spot (fixed with a 270mm convex broadway mirror )
-automatic(i got auto this time and i miss stick so much thats why its a con for me, the transmission itself isnt problematic)
-small trunk space (coupe)
-gas mileage
Old 10-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Puddin Tain

If you are just getting out of basic, I'd save your freaking money man. I know way to many guys who did the same thing your thinking of and 6 months later were kicking themselves for their stupidity. Buy a freaking civic or something. Get something that's super reliable and gets great gas mileage. You have NO IDEA what expenses will be coming your way. Money in the bank is the greatest thing in the world. And you WILL end up overseas at some point, do you WANT to be paying that much for a car that you won't even see for 6-12 months? And before you say it won't happen to you, my buddy in the air force didn't think it would happen to him either. He's already spent 6 months in afganistan, came back, and then got shipped out to Qatar or something for another year. He fixes f16 engines, they made him drive a truck for 6 months.
I'm 22 and have had a full time job Working at a Hospital for the last 4 years. I have a pretty good hold on expenses. Also I'll be working state side most of the time in an Air Force hospital. I got a pretty sweet gig as a Cardiopulmonary Laboratory Assistant. And also my tech school is almost a year long and i'm not buying a car until i finish tech school. so all that money i earn while in school is going straight to the bank and my current student loans. I got myself into a little financial problems when i first got a full time job and realized the fun of money. I won't ever let it happen to me again. It sounds like the G is a great fit for what i'm looking for. I know it's going to be a while before i get behind the wheel of one, but i'm the kind of person who when car shopping looks months and months ahead, finds something i like and just reads up on everything there is to know before i purchase. thanks for the info guys
Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 PM
s2ktoEvo

Originally Posted by Puddin Tain
I'm 22 and have had a full time job Working at a Hospital for the last 4 years. I have a pretty good hold on expenses. Also I'll be working state side most of the time in an Air Force hospital. I got a pretty sweet gig as a Cardiopulmonary Laboratory Assistant. And also my tech school is almost a year long and i'm not buying a car until i finish tech school. so all that money i earn while in school is going straight to the bank and my current student loans. I got myself into a little financial problems when i first got a full time job and realized the fun of money. I won't ever let it happen to me again. It sounds like the G is a great fit for what i'm looking for. I know it's going to be a while before i get behind the wheel of one, but i'm the kind of person who when car shopping looks months and months ahead, finds something i like and just reads up on everything there is to know before i purchase. thanks for the info guys
If you have the money and it's not going to stretch the wallet the G37 is a great car. I'd just hate to see a young guy get something and regret it later.

Take a hard look at a G37x sedan. The sedan is actually a little faster than the coupe (funny huh), and the extra room is nice. I don't know where you live, and I'm not am awd fanatic, but it seems to help with resale down the road and it only comes on when the rear wheels are slipping, so not a bad thing. My friend in the marines used to drive up from NC to NJ for visits and he always had 3 or 4 friends in the corps who lived along the way who were more than happy to share the gas money for a ride home. Then he'd pick them up on his way back.

Some of the auto trans comments are dead on. The paddle shifters are a waste, I used mine twice in the last year. DS mode is decent but not great. Manual shifting of the auto leaves a lot to be desired, as it has a pretty big lag time between when you tell it to shift and when it does. But if you aren't doing the boy racer routine, you'll be in D mode anyway. It's a luxury car first, if you want a sports car get a 370z.

The engine is rock solid. It's built to last, and if you treat it right I can't see any reason for it not to last 200k miles +

Interior fit and finish is pretty good. The only down side I've found is the seat bubble thing as others mentioned. I find that a silly problem to have when even $24k accords get it right.

The 4 year 60k mile warranty is just awesome. I bought mine used from a honda dealership and it had a couple of issues, Infiniti took care of me no questions asked. So if you find a nice used one, don't be afraid of giving a test drive.

If you are dead set on the coupe 2wd, take a good long look at the Genesis coupe. The g37 has the better interior and little more power, but the genesis is lighter and is a pretty nice car and Hyundai has been getting amazing reliability reviews for the last couple of years.

And if you want ***** to the walls fun with practically you can get one of these like me.

Last edited by s2ktoEvo; 10-30-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:44 PM
The Rabbi

If you are dead set on the coupe 2wd, take a good long look at the Genesis coupe. The g37 has the better interior and little more power, but the genesis is lighter and is a pretty nice car and Hyundai has been getting amazing reliability reviews for the last couple of years.
The m/t in the 3.8 Gen Coupe has gotten terrible reviews from consumers (if you read Gen Coupe boards) but the a/t seems to be fine. Also, the interior fit and finish of the Gen Coupe has gotten pretty terrible reviews from dash sagging to numerous creaks and trouble with power windows and the sunroof. Just another perspective.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
No matter what, it's still a hyundai.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 PM
s2ktoEvo

Originally Posted by Jsolo
No matter what, it's still a hyundai.
And infiniti is just a Nissan.

It took honda, nissan, and toyota 20 years before people stopped using stupid phrases like that.

I haven't heard of any interior problems in the genesis, but I have heard the manual needs a major clutch replacement and other work.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Itchytoe

Really, does anyone cross shop the G37 and the Genesis? They're completely different vehicles.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 PM
davv1215

Wouldn't the Genesis be like a G on a budget. Which is better, the Altima coupe or the Genesis? I'd prob get the Genesis because it's rwd and I think Hyundai has stepped up their game a little.

Quick Reply: Tell me the pro's and con's of a g37