G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Selling the G soon?? Whats Your Plan??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:10 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think some people worry way too much about being "set for retirement" and then life goes right by pursuing that goal. Then they realize when they're in their 60's that maybe they should have had more fun while they were younger. It's cool to retire in your 50's or even 40's but not at the expense of not having fun on your 20's and 30's. You're only young once after all.

To each their own. Do what makes you happy.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one of those people who drives a car until it won't drive anymore or until another dunken idiot crashes into me and forces me to get another one. *knock on wood, even though I never understood it* I completely understand wanting something bigger and better but never understood not being content with what you have. If there's something wrong with what I have, I will go get something better, but I don't get something better just because I can. If I did that, I wouldn't even have the G I have now; I'd have better.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:51 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I made a little stretch to get my G. I'm not doing bad by any means, but I made that decision knowing that the G is a car I was going to love for a long time. I don't know what the future holds, but it has nearly every single option, and I don't see myself missing on anything else until cars start to fly or get 100mpg and don't look like econoboxes.

I currently have a beautiful, fun, feature-loaded car and I don't think I'm going to get anything besides more payments and less financial freedom by going to something newer.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
I think some people worry way too much about being "set for retirement" and then life goes right by pursuing that goal. Then they realize when they're in their 60's that maybe they should have had more fun while they were younger.
Gotta glorify the hard work.
But like said before, depends on how much u make and how you wanna live when you're retired.
Being 65 and rolling in that Gt3, lol. Go ahead
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Around here, dealer lots of stock piled with used '08s in various configurations. Most probably coming off of lease. All this supply can't be helping to keep the value of the car up.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by anh3
I'm working on trading the 08 coupe in for a 2011 335i sedan, or 2012 G sedan. Got some issues w/ the car that makes it undesirable to keep. IPL now offered with M/T, so that'll be on the list too.
get G Sedan, 2012 . it's a driver's car. IMO

335i are nice, but the lack of reliability also well known for overheating issue on those turbos will drain some more expenses down the road.

be realistic. get a G. never go wrong.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:45 PM
MurderedG37s

Originally Posted by Pcasey
did you have an 08 before your 2012??
Yeah I had a 08..I am real happy with the 12...I can drive it all year since Im in ct. I will just keep it for a while and get a proper RWD beast. The IS-F is sick though haha..Its a unique car
Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 PM
POLLO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 08 like 7 months ago, for a really awesome price, and I plan to keep it until either the following happens:

1. Wife gets pregnant
2. Look to move to another state which won't be G37 friendly.

Of course most of that is subject to change, however is interesting to see how fast people get tired of these cars so quick.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It's cool to retire in your 50's or even 40's but not at the expense of not having fun on your 20's and 30's. You're only young once after all.

Very true. However my 20's and 30's are past and I had tons of fun. Often times too much. I want to have just as much fun in my 50's and 60's by being retired by then and having a nice standard of living by making sound financial decisions while I'm still in my 40's. As you get older your thinking and priorities changes. It's only natural.

Even without planning for my financial future being involved, I'm still the type of cat to put a lot of thought and planning into a major purchase like a car and (hopefully) make a good decision that I'm very happy with and keep it for a long time. While it's not perfect, I am very happy with the purchase of the G and plan to keep her a long time.

Now as soon as I've said this publicly, I'll go through the midlife crisis in a few years and something like a GTR or Porche 911 Turbo S will come along and make me eat my words.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 PM
MurderedG37s

Originally Posted by Black Betty
That's cool if you want a new car, but how can you possibly think that investing an extra $45K or more every 3 or 4 years wont affect your date of retirement? If you buy a new car every 3 years or so and I buy one only every 10 to 12 years or so, I can guarantee that notwithstanding some horrifically bad investments on my part I will have a significantly greater amount of money available at a much younger age than you will at that given age. Do you know how much money that will be just a few years from now? It's simple math.

That's not to say that buying new cars more often than I do is a bad thing. You just have different priorities in life and that's cool too. You will always have a cooler car than I will. That is until I'm retired at a young enough age with enough money to buy a really cool car while you're still working.

Isn't that all contingent on an individual's income? I mean, there are a lot of variables in a persons retirement.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by MurderedG37s
Isn't that all contingent on an individual's income? I mean, there are a lot of variables in a persons retirement.
It's dependent on a ton of things. Way too many variables for any 2 people to have the exact same circumstance. This is simply my reasoning. Yours will vary. This is assuming all things being equal, simply for the sake of comparison of one way versus the other.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been considering this too. I bought mine used towards the end of last year, and got a pretty good deal. I love the car, but I if I ever get a nicer house or we have a kid I know what I need to do. While I have considered selling it, I wonder what I would buy to replace it. There aren't many cars under $20k I would want to drive. If anything I would probably pay cash for a beater and fix it up haha.

I have the same mind set as Neeto though. I want to have fun while I'm still half young, and don't have any kids.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think some people worry way too much about being "set for retirement" and then life goes right by pursuing that goal. Then they realize when they're in their 60's that maybe they should have had more fun while they were younger. It's cool to retire in your 50's or even 40's but not at the expense of not having fun on your 20's and 30's. You're only young once after all.

Very true...

I watched my parents do this while I was a kid. We never did much of anything fun or spent money on anything even though my parents made enough money to. We only went on two real vacations when I was a kid. My dad worked all the time to make more money for the future.
My parents live pretty comfortably now in their 70's and travel and take vacations more than we did when I was a kid. They spend more now than before...
But years ago when my kids were young, my dad told me not to do the things he did when I was kid. He said he regrets not spending enough time with me and doing more things together, and now neither of us have the memories we could have had...all because he thought money and the future for retirement was more important at the time.
I never over did it with spending on my kids like some people do, but I did make sure we spent more time together, took vacations, didn't mind spending some money to do things and have some nice things.
You're only young once and no matter what you do, you cannot get that back. You could also die any day...I had a near death experience once and it's a real eye opener about life.
I also learned this about investing for retirement...there are things that can take that away too. Nothing is for sure in life, not even the money you are investing for retirement. I, like millions of other people, lost sizable amounts of money in the 2001 and 2007 recessions. I'll never see that again.
I'm not saying blow all your money like some people do, but you can't go through life only worrying about money for retirement and not enjoying life while it passes you by.

Sorry for going off in that direction...just had to add to what 1NEETO posted.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I have thought about the m3 as well, but i might just look at the 335i, I love that new body style
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
The Rabbi

When are you looking to trade in P? I could be interested...

Quick Reply: Selling the G soon?? Whats Your Plan??