Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tips for driving a G37S manual ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Manny22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for driving a G37S manual ?

I've driven a manual car before, im not exactly good at it; but I want a manual car really bad. I was hoping you guys could give me some tips on driving a manual G37S? ( I know the basics but I still have trouble taking off once in awhile, like when it starts to roll back, i panic a little)
Also is it advisable to take off in second gear? or should i always go from first to second to third, etc. ?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Itchytoe

You shouldn't take off in second gear unless you're in snow. 1 - 2 - 3 -4 - 5 - 6 is best. If you're in snow, it can help reduce spin because of the significantly lower torque in second than in first. (Keep in mind that I live on the gulf coast and don't drive in snow, so I'm relaying what I've heard from others)

Best tip I can possibly give you is to not panic. If you're worried about rolling backwards, keep your foot on the brake and let off the clutch until it starts to grab, then foot off the brake and on the gas and take off like normal. Little more clutch wear, but you won't roll back. Don't do it all the time, just when there's someone close behind you and you're worried about hitting them.

Otherwise, practice, practice, practice. It just takes time.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:28 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
use the handbrake
Old 10-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Manny22

Originally Posted by harbin9er
use the handbrake
That method is so time consuming though
Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Driving a manual G37 is no different from driving any other manual car in concept, here's a little help regarding the topic
Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
You shouldn't take off in second gear unless you're in snow. 1 - 2 - 3 -4 - 5 - 6 is best. If you're in snow, it can help reduce spin because of the significantly lower torque in second than in first. (Keep in mind that I live on the gulf coast and don't drive in snow, so I'm relaying what I've heard from others)

Best tip I can possibly give you is to not panic. If you're worried about rolling backwards, keep your foot on the brake and let off the clutch until it starts to grab, then foot off the brake and on the gas and take off like normal. Little more clutch wear, but you won't roll back. Don't do it all the time, just when there's someone close behind you and you're worried about hitting them.

Otherwise, practice, practice, practice. It just takes time.
Some good points here -- I've read that skipping gears in general, is a bad idea. As for the tid bit about holding the car on a hill with your clutch = very, very, very bad. It's not "a little wear" that you're putting on your clutch, rather tons more stress on your entire clutch assembly along with your transmission. That's a HUGE no. A few other tips -- use your BRAKES -- don't hold the clutch in (disengaged) at a light, waiting to go. completely disengage, and let go - use your brakes to hold you still. Have fun! IT's a tricky car, but you'll be able to drive just about anything after learning
Old 10-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no harm in skipping gears as long as you rev match before engaging the next gear. Completely ok to go 1-2-4 as long as you rev match before dropping into fourth.

As for rolling back it will just take practice. The G is no easy clutch to learn on but with time you will be fine. Just find the point where the clutch engages and try to start off there on the hill to keep from rolling. Just be quick on the transfer from break to gas. Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:23 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
properly skipping gears is fine -- but it's really not recommended.

Skipping gears? The truth please... - S2000 Club of America Forums
post 9
Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 PM
darkmatter7

I got my g37s mt yesterday. Driving it off the lot was literally my first time driving stick. This is... really hard. I've stalled everywhere from stoplights, to freeway ramps (scary!). I'm ok past 1st... but starting out is hard. I've decided to stick to 3k rpm launches into first so I don't stall as much.... Any help?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

VDC off on a hill
Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Manny22

Originally Posted by SleepyMonkey
VDC off on a hill
vdc? what does that stand for
Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 PM
darkmatter7

Originally Posted by SleepyMonkey
VDC off on a hill
It's Vehicle Dynamic Control. It's a system that automatically applies power/braking to the wheels if the car looses traction.

Why should it be off on a hill? I've been scared to drive with it off.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Manny22
vdc? what does that stand for
it's stability control - I'm not sure what it stands for (Vehicle Dynamics Control?). Anyway it's anti-slip. When I first bought my G37S I thought it was the hardest clutch that I had ever driven since my brother's late 50's Ford truck. I turned that off and things seemed to go easier.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Manny22

Do I always have to rev match when im shifting? This seems really complicated, how do I even know what rpms to take it up to before i let go of the clutch lol.
i mean doesn't the synchronizers do this for me already?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:05 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by darkmatter7
It's Vehicle Dynamic Control. It's a system that automatically applies power/braking to the wheels if the car looses traction.

Why should it be off on a hill? I've been scared to drive with it off.
I turn it off unless it's raining - it just seems to kick in when it's not needed, causing the engine to bog down

Quick Reply: Tips for driving a G37S manual ?