Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tips for driving a G37S manual ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Yup.. Practice makes perfect. Although I don't yet own the G, it sounds like the clutch is more complicated than on most other cars. Probably not the best car to 'learn' on.

Many years back, just out of HS I had a job as an auto parts courier. Their vehicle was a little sh!tbox pickup truck with a 5spd. Had one day of training and then on my own. By the time I moved onto the next job, I was able to practically drive that thing without using a clutch at all (both up and downshifts).

Same thing with motorcycles (which have a sequential gear box). When I first started, it was alot of things to keep track of, (for those that dont know, left foot is the shifter, right foot is rear brake, left hand is clutch, right handle is brake and throttle). These days, everything comes automatically.

@maxfinity, go test drive a subaru wrx sti (wrx too?). The clutch on that thing is so easy to modulate - starts grabbing shortly above the floor, very long friction zone.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Manny22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Yup.. Practice makes perfect. Although I don't yet own the G, it sounds like the clutch is more complicated than on most other cars. Probably not the best car to 'learn' on.

Many years back, just out of HS I had a job as an auto parts courier. Their vehicle was a little sh!tbox pickup truck with a 5spd. Had one day of training and then on my own. By the time I moved onto the next job, I was able to practically drive that thing without using a clutch at all (both up and downshifts).

Same thing with motorcycles (which have a sequential gear box). When I first started, it was alot of things to keep track of, (for those that dont know, left foot is the shifter, right foot is rear brake, left hand is clutch, right handle is brake and throttle). These days, everything comes automatically.

@maxfinity, go test drive a subaru wrx sti (wrx too?). The clutch on that thing is so easy to modulate - starts grabbing shortly above the floor, very long friction zone.
Surprisingly the clutch on the g37 is easier for me then most clutches, i have no idea why.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM
phreekeeG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree, don't be intimidated and it is much more fun to drive a manual. I used to own an '02 Altima 5MT, then got a '08 Journey 5AT coupe around March of this year... it was so unfulfilling that I traded again in Sept for a G37S 6MT. I am normally not the kind of person to trade a car in so soon, but i just couldn't take it anymore. so much more satisfied now with the 6MT!
(still wishing i would have pulled the hotchkis sways off of the Journey, though. )
Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 PM
MisterC

I've test driven a few and I have to say, the clutch uptake isn't as noticeable as everyone seems to make it. The car does, however, take some getting used to to get it to putt along smoothly. A lot of it has to do with how comfortable you are in the car (mentally and physically). The rest is just technique, which again, is something you'll develop as you familiarize yourself with driving a standard transmission and with the car.

I don't really want to get into because it might throw off any more readers who are looking to get into a MT car, but the hydraulic clutch does take a bit of getting used to; it feels artificial.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:59 PM
TraderAlex

he may be able to use the parking brake more simply, for the same effect. That's usually what I do when am facing up on a steep incline.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM
TraderAlex

Someone else just posted that the G37 clutch is not easiest to learn, but it will come to you. Just stick with it. In comparison, the easiest manual I have ever experienced is in the BMW 3 series-it seemed you would have to work at making a mistake with that one. My hats off to the engineers in Munich, as that one is as silky smooth as it gets.