G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Carbon Fiber roof wrap: Worth it? Need your opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Soliditude
Where would I get that? Details please.
I found a vendor here that used to do real CF roof covers, but he is banned and there is no trace of him, so that's out of the question. I wasn't able to find anyone else. Who do you mean?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/interio...rior-trim.html

pretty sure they can do hood/roof whatever your please
Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Soliditude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
https://www.myg37.com/forums/interio...rior-trim.html

pretty sure they can do hood/roof whatever your please
Thanks, Presto. I saw this guy as well, however, he states that you'd need to send him your interior trim, and only then he'll cover it with CF. I don't see myself sending him my G's roof via UPS, lol. But I'll give him a shot and see what he says.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:04 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I would go with a black wrap on the roof and not a carbon fiber, think it will look cleaner. I have a cf hood (real) and cf spoiler (also real) and I am going with a black top. Don't forget to buy the antennae cover in Obsidian black too.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Why I think I do not like: CF is made for functionality, a Cf hood or trunk isn't going to save you much at all. If I had a cf trunk I'd paint it. Something like Voltex on the other hand....bare cf is acceptable.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
Why I think I do not like: CF is made for functionality, a Cf hood or trunk isn't going to save you much at all. If I had a cf trunk I'd paint it. Something like Voltex on the other hand....bare cf is acceptable.
Ok now you are not making sense. Although it is only a minor weight savings, every little bit adds up. If you paint it it, will look OEM so what is the point if you say it does not save weight and then you would paint it? Just leave it stock then. Then there is the fact that paint weighs something too. Again, very little but it adds up. I thought you were all about function over form?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

FYI, here is what happened from a real CF overlay on my roof. Now this was not completely sealed so water leaked in and then was trapped and almost rusted a hole through my roof. DO NOT BUY ONE FROM MATERGRADE! I can not vouch for the work doen by CF Elements but this is what happened to me....

Name:  e58168c8.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  270.1 KB

Name:  20c0a9d0.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  158.8 KB

Name:  9206f0f6.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  120.5 KB
Old 10-05-2011, 04:19 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Mastergrade should be shot for that one.
Kidcane, sorry to see your car effed up from something you paid good $ for, shame.
That is a nasty rust spot, hopefully you fix without to much trouble.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:53 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
Ok now you are not making sense. Although it is only a minor weight savings, every little bit adds up. If you paint it it, will look OEM so what is the point if you say it does not save weight and then you would paint it? Just leave it stock then. Then there is the fact that paint weighs something too. Again, very little but it adds up. I thought you were all about function over form?
I am about function over form. I was just using that as an example. For example, if I have a trunk I want to buy because I like the design, but it is only offered in CF, I would paint it.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 AM
tbone12

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea defiantly don't get a hood cap for reasons posted above. But alot of people have gotten roof overlays, including myself, and have been very pleased with the outcomes
Old 10-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by Kidcane
FYI, here is what happened from a real CF overlay on my roof. Now this was not completely sealed so water leaked in and then was trapped and almost rusted a hole through my roof. DO NOT BUY ONE FROM MATERGRADE! I can not vouch for the work doen by CF Elements but this is what happened to me....

Wow, dude, I'm sorry that happened to you. That's crazy. I noticed a post earlier today about your situation and I really wanted to know who it was, and here I come to my thread, and you are already with the pics 'n' all. A big thanks for the heads up, man.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by tbone12
yea defiantly don't get a hood cap for reasons posted above. But alot of people have gotten roof overlays, including myself, and have been very pleased with the outcomes
I'm getting set on an overlay, too, only in gloss black now. IDK.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
Mastergrade should be shot for that one.
Kidcane, sorry to see your car effed up from something you paid good $ for, shame.
That is a nasty rust spot, hopefully you fix without to much trouble.
Yeah this was earlier this year so it has been repaired and looks normal again.

Originally Posted by Soliditude
Wow, dude, I'm sorry that happened to you. That's crazy. I noticed a post earlier today about your situation and I really wanted to know who it was, and here I come to my thread, and you are already with the pics 'n' all. A big thanks for the heads up, man.
No problemo.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Emon Crew

Wow, sorry to hear that kidcane, that roof looked worse than Dog $hit. Showstoppers always seemed really sketchy with their business dealings especially that mastergrade $hit.

OP getting a real CF roof isn't even worth the hassle, you realize you have to remove your front and rear windshield's to install it right?

Not to thread jack, but it's sorta on topic....

does anyone have the part # for the obsidian black antenna cover for the coupes?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 AM
Soliditude

Originally Posted by Emon Crew
Wow, sorry to hear that kidcane, that roof looked worse than Dog $hit. Showstoppers always seemed really sketchy with their business dealings especially that mastergrade $hit.

OP getting a real CF roof isn't even worth the hassle, you realize you have to remove your front and rear windshield's to install it right?

Not to thread jack, but it's sorta on topic....

does anyone have the part # for the obsidian black antenna cover for the coupes?

Yeah, that idea is totally out of the question for me now. After seeing Kidcane's pics, there no way I'm gonna get one without knowing/seeing it in person before. Thanks for your input, man.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:50 AM
jdmproducer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man I would of gone crazy if that would of happened to my roof.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber roof wrap: Worth it? Need your opinions.