Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2 month old G wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 AM
fiddlesticks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 month old G wrecked

As much as it pains me to say this, my 2 month old G was wrecked about 2 weeks ago.

I've been fighting with the insurance company to consider it a total loss but they are insisting to repair it since although the estimate is expensive there is no chassis damage so the car can be repaired or something to that effect.

For obvious reasons, I'd rather have the car totalled no matter what but if I'm forced to accept a repair, based on the estimate i've attached, is the car likely to come back as good as new or are there any items on that list I can use as ammo to force/persuade the insurance company to re-consider it totalled?

I'm gutted about this

p.s. sorry bout the crap photo, it's the only one I could take before the car was hauled away.
Attached Thumbnails 2 month old G wrecked-estimate-page-1.jpg   2 month old G wrecked-estimate-page-2.jpg   2 month old G wrecked-estimate-page-3.jpg   2 month old G wrecked-estimate-page-4.jpg   2 month old G wrecked-img00016-20110918-2107.jpg  

Last edited by fiddlesticks; 10-02-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel your pain. I wrecked my car 3 weeks after I bought it. As long as there's no structural damage your car will be as good as new. The only real downside is that it will have a serious accident on record, and that will drop its value considerably.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over $73,000 of damage?? And they rather repair than total it?? Doesn't make sense.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM
fiddlesticks

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
I feel your pain. I wrecked my car 3 weeks after I bought it. As long as there's no structural damage your car will be as good as new. The only real downside is that it will have a serious accident on record, and that will drop its value considerably.
Was it totalled?

I wouldn't care so much if it was totalled cause at least then I can just buy a new car and know for sure that there's not likely to be any issues. But after an accident, god knows what got jarred loose, what might be cracked, what other damage was sustained through impact or shock or otherwise.

and they're not exactly thorough here...
Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 AM
fiddlesticks

Originally Posted by HappyG
Over $73,000 of damage?? And they rather repair than total it?? Doesn't make sense.
It's in UAE dirhams, divide by 3.67 to get $$

So it's about $23k on initial estimate, dropping to $20k after discount on parts and labour and insurance co are claiming it's down to about $17k after their negotiator/inspector visited infiniti and took a look at the car.

I'm trying to play the "it could go up as well as down" card but they're adamant about repairing it. I'm trying to find an excuse to get them to total it.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
That really hurts to see.. think on the positive side though:

1) You get new headlights instead of the ones Dorbi messed up for you
2) You get a new bumper, grill and fenders to replace the ones Dorbi scratched up
3) See if you can get cash instead of some of the parts listed and go aftermarket
Old 10-02-2011, 12:00 PM
fiddlesticks

Originally Posted by G37Sam
That really hurts to see.. think on the positive side though:

1) You get new headlights instead of the ones Dorbi messed up for you
2) You get a new bumper, grill and fenders to replace the ones Dorbi scratched up
3) See if you can get cash instead of some of the parts listed and go aftermarket
lol Sammy

I think the headlights and the bumper are the least of my worries bro but yea I thought about it like that when I was trying not to cry!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:07 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wow sorry to hear that man!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:13 PM
silverg37

damm that sucks dude, hey just get ipl bumper and side skirts!!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Itchytoe

Originally Posted by fiddlesticks
It's in UAE dirhams, divide by 3.67 to get $$

So it's about $23k on initial estimate, dropping to $20k after discount on parts and labour and insurance co are claiming it's down to about $17k after their negotiator/inspector visited infiniti and took a look at the car.
Wait a minute, you're having it repaired at the dealer? Are you crazy? Tow that thing to a real body shop and get an estimate. Dealers are car sellers, not mechanics. Sure they're good for warranty work, because all they're doing is lubing up some squeaky part or replacing something completely. They're like a step above the Wal-Mart kids in the "automotive" department. My dealer can't even get matching touch-up paint. You want someone who does paint and body work exclusively to do any kind of repairs like this. Just remember, you never have to get multiple estimates, and the insurance has to pay to have it repaired at whatever place you choose to have it repaired at. They have absolutely no say in it even though they'll try and tell you otherwise. If they're a-holes about it, get multiple estimates and tell them it's being repaired at the most expensive place just because they're being a-holes about it.

Looks like the estimate you have there says airbags were somehow affected. Did they go off? That's about $4,000 per airbag to get them replaced correctly. Looks like you also have damage to throttle bodies and pullies. Crank pulley damage? If it is, how do they know the crank shaft isn't bent? There's some real engine damage that I'm sure isn't cheap. It looks like they estimated replacing and repainting the front bumper. Our bumpers are painted? Really? I know the bumper cover is painted, but not the bumper itself. It also looks like they're not charging for the purchase of the bumper, just the cost to do the labor of replacing it. Odd, how will they replace it when they don't buy a replacement?

My advice, if you want it totaled, get a real estimate from a reputable body shop and leave the dealer alone.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Sorry to hear that. What happened?
Which insurance company? Will they give you a check for the estimated amount? You can fix it from another garage, considering the fact that the dealer cannot spell 'infiniti' correctly(see item #93) I highly doubt their repair skills
Old 10-02-2011, 01:43 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
considering the fact that the dealer cannot spell 'infiniti' correctly(see item #93) I highly doubt their repair skills
Yeah because every body shop in the UAE has its staff undergo TOEFL & SAT's before accepting them
Old 10-02-2011, 02:00 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
The car will be as good as new once repaired but I do feel your pain. The first month I owned my G it was caught in a hail storm and had damage to every body panel on it. Not as dramatic as you but no one wants to see their brand new car damaged. Doubt you'll be able to get it totaled out so make the best out of it and get some mods.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:19 PM
cy7878

These things are "modular" the take the damaged pieces out and bolt in new ones. The chassis hold everything together. I bet when they are done, it will "look" like new again.

Even if they total the car, you will only get replacement value, not necessarily a new car. They can always screw you on depreciation.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:58 AM
fiddlesticks

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Wait a minute, you're having it repaired at the dealer? Are you crazy? Tow that thing to a real body shop and get an estimate. Dealers are car sellers, not mechanics. Sure they're good for warranty work, because all they're doing is lubing up some squeaky part or replacing something completely. They're like a step above the Wal-Mart kids in the "automotive" department. My dealer can't even get matching touch-up paint. You want someone who does paint and body work exclusively to do any kind of repairs like this. Just remember, you never have to get multiple estimates, and the insurance has to pay to have it repaired at whatever place you choose to have it repaired at. They have absolutely no say in it even though they'll try and tell you otherwise. If they're a-holes about it, get multiple estimates and tell them it's being repaired at the most expensive place just because they're being a-holes about it.
Yea it's a bit weird here. Back in London I'd never take it to a dealer for any kind of work but over here in the UAE, the dealer (Agency) is really the best place to get work done. Things tend to be in-house here as the market is very small. It's actually a benefit if you have agency repair here and it's one of the things people ask for on insurance quotes.

Looks like the estimate you have there says airbags were somehow affected. Did they go off? That's about $4,000 per airbag to get them replaced correctly. Looks like you also have damage to throttle bodies and pullies. Crank pulley damage? If it is, how do they know the crank shaft isn't bent? There's some real engine damage that I'm sure isn't cheap. It looks like they estimated replacing and repainting the front bumper. Our bumpers are painted? Really? I know the bumper cover is painted, but not the bumper itself. It also looks like they're not charging for the purchase of the bumper, just the cost to do the labor of replacing it. Odd, how will they replace it when they don't buy a replacement?
the airbags didn't deploy which I think is another reason they're not so willing to total it. The airbag sensor on the right side might be replaced.

Quick Reply: 2 month old G wrecked