Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infiniti vs. Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM
QX4cor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Infiniti vs. Nissan

Hey all, picked up my G37xS coupe a couple of weeks back and am loving it! Got into my first Infiniti back in '99 with a QX4, moved on to an FX in'08 and now have a '10 FX. Wife was in an '08 M which we just traded for the coupe, so clearly I'm an Infiniti guy.
I've always prefered the Infiniti models over the Nissan bases for the obvious reasons of the interior appointments and the body effects on the exterior, which are clearly much smoother and more attractive. This has always been the case, but for one exception: the coupes, and more specifically the Z vs G. Now, i'm not even sure this is a fair comparison, as clearly the Z is a 2-seater. But this brings me to my first question:
Obviously the QX4 was a Pathfinder. The FX is a Murano. EX a Rogue. In the early-mid 2000s, it seemed to me that the G was in line with the Maxima, and the M shared lines with the Altima. But, over the past few years things seemed to have changed a bit with Nissan. Now I know that a G is a Skyline, but on the American market which car is which as far as the base for the G and the base for the M? Since I decided I was going coupe about 6 months ago, I've been eyeing ever 2-door I see on the road, and I've seen Maxima coupes that look very much like a G coupe. Then I saw an Altima coupe, and clearly it looks just like a G coupe. So what's the deal? I went onto the Nissan website, and it appears that the Altima is now more in line with the G, and the Maxima closer to the M. The website does not even list a Maxima coupe as being available in 2012, only an Altima coupe, which is clearly the base for my 2011. Anyone have any ideas or an answer on this?
Now......... back to my original question/ thought: the Z is the only version that I prefer over the Infiniti. I'm in Maine and wanted AWD. If I were in a warmer climate, I would have gotten the Z all the way. It just looks sportier. On top of that, you can load it up completely, and its less expensive than a loaded G. This forum is loaded with modded rides. Everyone is lowering, rolling on 20s, adding performance under the hood. Why did you get the G over the Z. Obviously, if you went AWD, the question is answered. Is it the backseat? Do you guys actually squeeze adults back there? I don't need the backseast, as I only have one child, so when we roll as a fam, we'll take the FX. The need for the backseat is the only reason I can see to get the G over the Z, and maybe that's what you will all say........... I'm curious.

btw- don't get me wrong. I love the G coupe, especially the ones that have all the work done such as Rauls', pcasey, _ant_, vossen37, etc....., I actually like the front-end and grille of the G over the Z, but you can't beat the rear windsheilds line and curve or over-all stance on the Z for my money. I'm just wondering what factored into your purchases.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Topher9425
Premier Member

Received 122 Likes on 115 Posts
4 seats -vs- 2 seats / luxury sport -vs- all sport
Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to own a Maxima and I see many Maximas here in NY. But I have never seen or heard of a Maxima coupe. Isn't the Maxima the "4 Door Sports Sedan"?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:42 PM
trp244

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does this guy know how to party or what??!!

Last edited by trp244; 09-29-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
nbast

Maxima was akin to the I series. I don't believe there has ever been a Nissan 'version' of the G series. At least not in the US.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Soliditude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no Maxima coupe. What you're referring to is the Altima coupe. It looks similar to the G, yes, but it's nothing of the same sort. The reason why we choose an Infiniti over a Nissan is the same reason why you would choose a Lexus over a Toyota. Infiniti is a luxury brand, whereas Nissan is not. Therefore, Infiniti is always more luxurious and has better quality even though it's based on the same roots of Nissan. They don't need to completely reinvent everything in order to make it luxury; they just use the same base with better features. The G coupe and the Z coupe have always shared the same platform. The "Skyline" versions of our G are the same thing as we have, only they're still branded "Nissan" for JDM.

Nobody chooses a G over a Z because they have two extra seats, although this is a factor. The Z is not luxury, whereas the G is in par with BMW, and that's why we choose it. Luxury vs. Regular is the difference between an Infiniti or a Nissan. Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura -- same thing.

And no, there is no Maxima version of Infinti. The M is bigger and better, and Nissan has no version of the M. They don't need to share every single brand. Some are kept exclusive.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
There is no such thing as a Maxima coupe, never has been. It is a FWD platform completely different than the Infiniti G. The Altima coupe doesn't share anything with the G series either as the Altima is a FWD platform (always has been even pre '93 when it was the Stanza) and the G platform is RWD or AWD. The Nissan equivalent of the G coupe is the 370Z, not the Maxima or Altima. Infiniti used to make the I30/I35 which shared a platform (A32, A33) with the Maxima.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
The Rabbi

I agree with you that the look of the Z is much sportier but when I test drove it I couldn't help but feel completely underwhelmed every time. I really wanted to like it and gave it my best shot by test driving 7 of them (5 coupes, 2 convertibles). Even though it's billed to be a "pure sports car" it didn't feel as sporty or exhilarating as the G.

If you couldn't tell, I'm not a "car guy". Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love cars but I don't know nearly enough about them and I don't really have the time to tinker with them.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:42 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not just the back seat (which I have found myself using more often than I would imagine) but also because both cars look very different. The Z looks more aggressive, with that front fascia with those fangs, it looks like it's ready to prey on whatever is in front of it. It's also much lighter and has a shorter wheelbase. Clearly a performance-focused machine. The G otoh, has more subtle but IMO sexier design, it much heavier, has a longer wheelbase, and much more luxurious and easier to live with on a day to day basis.

The only thing those two cars have in common is the FMR configuration and the VQ37VHR engine. Oh yeah and the G sounds MUCH better than the Z.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 PM
QX4cor

Wow, you're absolutely correct. 1) I never, ever knew there was no 2-door maxima. 2) I would have sworn I was one last week. I said I was never interested in a Nissan, haha.

I know the I30 was pretty much a maxima, and then the J35 I think as well. When that went away, the G body style changed. I though they sort of combined both into the newer G.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
koa789

The FX does not share a platform with the Murano and the EX does not share a platform with the Rogue.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Itchytoe

Don't think of Infiniti as rebadged Nissan vehicles. They isn't an equivalent vehicle in each line up. Yes, some do share components, but they are different vehicles. Just because the Z and the G share a drivetrain doesn't mean they are the same vehicle.

You know, Chevy and Cadillac are both GM vehicles. I don't think anyone would say that a *insert random Caddy model here* is just a Camaro. Same thing with Ford and Lincoln, and Jag for that matter.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Coprolite

I got the G for the luxury and the back seat... For flexibility with car/kid arrangements.

After I upgrade to a bigger garage, 2 seaters will be an option.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by QX4cor
Obviously the QX4 was a Pathfinder. The FX is a Murano. EX a Rogue.

Now I know that a G is a Skyline, but on the American market which car is which as far as the base for the G and the base for the M?
Yes, no and no. The QX4 indeed shared the same platform as the Pathfinder, but the other two are completely different platforms from each other. If anything, it's the FX, EX, G and M that shares the same platform.

There is no equivalent of any of the current Infiniti's with the Nissan line-up, and vice versa, in the USDM.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
There is no such thing as a Maxima coupe, never has been.
BB is partially correct here. One can argue that the 1st-First generation Maxima as being the first and last coupe of the lineage. It was called a Bluebird Maxima and was also sold as a Datsun.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 PM
tejasg37x

I think what gives people the impression that there are Nissan equivalents, is that almost everything Nissan/Infiniti makes have some similarities in body styling.

I had a 2003 350Z and loved it...to the guy who thought it didn't seem sporty, I don't know what you were expecting. It felt every bit a sport car...much different than a G coupe. When I bought the Z, I picked it over the MB SLK, Audi TT, Honda S2000, BMW Z3/4 because it felt more like a sports car than those did.
I loved the way the Z was more of a purist car instead of "luxury", and it was completely trouble free all 71,000 miles I dove it.
I just recently traded the Z for a G37x sedan because I needed 4 doors now for business purposes. I did drive the coupe for 4 days before getting the sedan and it was nothing but a "luxury" coupe compared to the Z.

Quick Reply: Infiniti vs. Nissan