G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Break in period.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:54 PM
RedEyeZ88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW- its so hard not to be tempted and give the car a little gas =)
Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 PM
amf25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
car was prob already broken in by all the test drivers on the dealer test loop, ur all set now
Old 10-05-2011, 01:00 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Bought my car with 7 miles on it no test drives. Within the first 40 miles I had hit the speed limiter. at 11k and still no issues.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM
fiddlesticks

I recently broke in a new G37S and I can honestly say it's the smoothest G I've ever driven (had one the year before and it was awful, gears were harsh shifting on both acceleration and slow, and RPM increase was painful. Also had similar experiences with friend's G's)

This is what I did:

Had it delivered to my home so I wouldn't have to drive it back on the highway from the dealership.

-Keep to local roads, you want to vary the RPM and speed naturally as you would with accelerating and slowing down for traffic lights , turns etc.

-Accelerate slowly but consistently, never letting RPM go above 4k max

-Changed oil at 200kms

-After 500kms, repeated the same as above accelerating consistently but now going past the 4k mark, up to about 5k

-After 750kms, continue as normal and start taking it to 6k.

-After 1,000kms, redline, but again, not harshly. For this I took it on a highway and steadily increased speed while in manual shift, to let each gear go from 1/2k to 6/7k before switching.

As I said, I've never broken a car in like this before however I can honestly say it's the smoothest running G I've ever driven now. The G I had before this one (2010, sold just before buying 2011) I broke it in like the manual said and it was very harsh.

a friend of mine also broke his G in on the highway doing about 200kms straight out of the showroom...he's been complaining of bad MPG and harsh, almost clunky shifts since

Hope it helps
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Gobbler Man

There are a lot of "recommendations" by people referring to different ways to break in a vehicle. One references older motorcycles and different kinds of engines. Another is that you drive it like you stole it. Yet another is that newer cars dont need a break in.

While these sound like a lot of fun, I stuck by the guidelines in the user manual. It is funny how, for everything else, people on the forum will reference the manual. But when talking about break in periods they ignore the manual. These cars have not been out long enough to tell of future damage caused by improper break in.

Here is what the manual says:

During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km), follow
these recommendations to obtain maximum
engine performance and ensure the future reliability
and economy of your new vehicle.
Failure to follow these recommendations may
result in shortened engine life and reduced engine
performance.
● Avoid driving for long periods at constant
speed, either fast or slow. Do not run the
engine over 4,000 rpm.
● Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
● Avoid quick starts.
● Avoid hard braking as much as possible.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:00 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My opinion is Infiniti/Nissan, and any other manufacturer put that break in procedure as a CYA for them and gives some owners some peace of mind that they followed it.
No one can actually explain why there is a "break in period". Think about all the other types of internal combustion motors there are and think, do they all really go through this "break in period"?
I've had almost 20 automobiles in my lifetime including muscle cars, sports cars, family sedans, mini vans, trucks, 4x4's, etc and have never seen any difference because of following a "break in procedure. I've built many Chevy engines for race, street, and off road and it never mattered.
My 83 K5 Blazer went over 200,000 miles before a built another motor for it...and it was still running fine; I just wanted something beefier.
Truthfully, most people probably don't follow the break in procedure...but if it makes a person feel better, then do it.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buy car
Drive car
Enjoy car

None of you will own the car long enough past powertrain warranty to worry about catastrophic engine failure. If the engine breaks it was bound to break whether you broke it in or not.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Buy car
Drive car
Enjoy car

None of you will own the car long enough past powertrain warranty to worry about catastrophic engine failure. If the engine breaks it was bound to break whether you broke it in or not.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:50 PM
08g37

If i were you i would forget about what everyone says here and do what the manual tells you to do they are the ones who built your engine after all i think your better off listening to the manual.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Itchytoe

If that mentality were true, nobody would mod their vehicles because the ones who built the car know best, so we would just accept whatever they gave us as the best. Believing it because someone wrote it down is absurd.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Gobbler Man

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
If that mentality were true, nobody would mod their vehicles because the ones who built the car know best, so we would just accept whatever they gave us as the best. Believing it because someone wrote it down is absurd.
Not at all true. The manual does not tell you to skip on modding. We all know that they have differences in their cars. Heck they have the different options for you to mod right on the car (nav, sports, etc) when you purchase it.

It specifically states a break in process in the manual. Is this a CYA move on their part. I dont know, but they are engineers and not just car enthusiasts. I dont know how long I will own this car, so 1200 miles of break in time to CMA seems hard to turn down.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 PM
G37xNYC

Originally Posted by mikelebron
Key points to engine breaking - Get on the engine hard without going beyond the above points. Also, engine breaking is also key... Its easier on a manual but should also be done with an auto. Fluctuate your speed always.. never set it to cruise until its full broken in. Make sure you have nice cool down periods where the metals can fully contract.

Generally once your MPG has increased to what the manufacturer has stated your engine is 90% broken in. (if there was no break-in then why would your MPG increase) - at least the components that need wear. Your full break in will happen within the 1st 3k miles. You wont know but you will notice the engine revs up very quickly; it feels loose. All components then are fully broken in.

The key to breaking in is generating enough heat to fully expand all components and letting them contract to their set state. If you do not heat up the components enough the contraction and wear will not happen to the ideal state. "Ideal state" depends on the individuals engine and how they drive, what octane they use, what altitude they are at, etc. etc.

Of course this is at your own risk and is not scientific just my personal experience over the many years...
So is it good that I downshift in my 7AT? I like doing it because it saves my brakes and I hate hitting my brakes while everyone around me loves to use them... And definitely my MPG has risen... In the first 2000-2500 miles I was averaging around high-13 to around 15 mpg city (I live in NYC, traffic everyday) and now I average high-15's to mid-16's for city... Highway mileage is pretty awesome too... Averaged around 25 mpg on a trip to Atlantic City and back... And that was doing 80-85 the entire time. My bro averaged 27 in his G37 sedan on a trip to Baltimore and back with the A/C on the entire time.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 PM
davv1215

I agree with 1NEETO, just drive it. Unless you're planning on redlining the hell out of the engine after the break in period, then I would prob follow the manual. Of course I'm not an engineer.