Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dealer pulled a fast one...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 PM
BlkG-37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer pulled a fast one...

Hey guys, I recently purchased my G37S 6MT a little less than a month ago. I understand it is my fault for not fully examining the car prior to purchase, but I recently dropped my car at a different Infiniti dealership to get some "cosmetic" issues taken care of and they called me today saying my two front tires need to be replaced as they are worn past the thread lines. My issue is this...before driving off the lot day of purchase, I pointed to the two front tires and told my salesman the tires look very worn. His response? "it's hard to tell because they are low profile tires, they are fine, will check it before you drive off." I got a lot of cosmetic stuff replaced already by a different dealer and I could have used this issues against the original dealer to get the cost down further when i bought it, but the fact of the matter is I didn't. Now in less than a month of ownership, I have a dealer telling me I need new tires! What are my options guys? One dealer says I'm good, the other I need replacements.

What would you all do? Complain to the dealer where I bought it or suck it up and buy the tires since it was my fault for not pressing this more when I bought it? Car was bought used with 12K miles. I feel slighted for some reason...any suggestions on how to handle before I go ape-sh** on the dealer tomorrow?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:43 PM
NoMoneyNoHoney

12K miles and the 2 front tires already need to be replaced?
Something's not Kosher here...
Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkG-37S
Hey guys, I recently purchased my G37S 6MT a little less than a month ago. I understand it is my fault for not fully examining the car prior to purchase, but I recently dropped my car at a different Infiniti dealership to get some "cosmetic" issues taken care of and they called me today saying my two front tires need to be replaced as they are worn past the thread lines. My issue is this...before driving off the lot day of purchase, I pointed to the two front tires and told my salesman the tires look very worn. His response? "it's hard to tell because they are low profile tires, they are fine, will check it before you drive off." I got a lot of cosmetic stuff replaced already by a different dealer and I could have used this issues against the original dealer to get the cost down further when i bought it, but the fact of the matter is I didn't. Now in less than a month of ownership, I have a dealer telling me I need new tires! What are my options guys? One dealer says I'm good, the other I need replacements.

What would you all do? Complain to the dealer where I bought it or suck it up and buy the tires since it was my fault for not pressing this more when I bought it? Car was bought used with 12K miles. I feel slighted for some reason...any suggestions on how to handle before I go ape-sh** on the dealer tomorrow?
You won't like my answer, but I would say since it's a used car it is your responsibility to check everything out before you drive away. However if they told you they would look into it you should hold them to that. Of course they might claim that the price was adjusted based on the need for new tires, its hard to say really. I would still say it would be something that should be inspected before you leave though.... :/
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
How many miles have you put on the car since taking delivery of it? If only a few then you might stand some chance at going back and asking the dealership where you bought it if they are willing to replace the worn tires since the car was sold to you in that condition when they should have been replaced before selling it. If they don't do the right thing, I don't know that you have any recourse.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
busacraze

You might want to check the inner side of the tire and see if it is more worn out on the inner side. If this is the case, you might have alignment problems, otherwise not sure why your tires will be worn out after 12k..
Old 08-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Frankyg37s

Originally Posted by Black Betty
How many miles have you put on the car since taking delivery of it? If only a few then you might stand some chance at going back and asking the dealership where you bought it if they are willing to replace the worn tires since the car was sold to you in that condition when they should have been replaced before selling it. If they don't do the right thing, I don't know that you have any recourse.
+1

when i bought my used 08 last year i needed 2 new rear tires,no big deal
Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 PM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by Frankyg37s
+1

when i bought my used 08 last year i needed 2 new rear tires,no big deal
I guess the question really is...did you have to pay for them? I have put a little over 1K miles on the car since i bought it. Is that low enough to justify fighting for 2 new tires at no cost? Regardless, the car was $31K and I refuse to pay a dollar more when I just bought the damn thing 4 weeks ago and now i need tires? 2 tires on this car probably cost over $500 I'm assuming. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to fight it, but I have a gut feeling they are going to shrug their shoulders and say sorry bud. Don't know.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM
gooddeal

Well, I think it's crazy if they replace it for free. If you ask them to replace something you cannot see, that's more reasonable.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The key is to not "go in and fight for it". Ask them. Nicely. Use reason and be polite. Make them feel bad about treating you unfairly in the situation. Move them to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. If you go in with guns blazing trying to force them to do something and looking for a fight, that's exactly what you will get. And they'll probably win.

Go to the sales manager and politely explain how you raised the concern before your purchase and your salesperson (tell them who he is) promised to replace them. At the time you picked up the car you neglected to check it because you were excited about the car and took them to be people of their word and presumed they'd have the integrity to do as they'd promised. Somehow perhaps someone overlooked replacing them and you're asking them to make good on what they said they'd do to the car as a condition of the sale. Please.

Something like that. At least that's how I'd handle it m
Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 AM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say either the original fronts were switched with a worn pair from another car, or a previous owner drove the pi** out of your car. Either way, you are probably stuck at this point unless they can somehow get you a prorated tire warranty adjustment to cover some of the replacement cost.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
The key is to not "go in and fight for it". Ask them. Nicely. Use reason and be polite. Make them feel bad about treating you unfairly in the situation. Move them to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. If you go in with guns blazing trying to force them to do something and looking for a fight, that's exactly what you will get. And they'll probably win.

Go to the sales manager and politely explain how you raised the concern before your purchase and your salesperson (tell them who he is) promised to replace them. At the time you picked up the car you neglected to check it because you were excited about the car and took them to be people of their word and presumed they'd have the integrity to do as they'd promised. Somehow perhaps someone overlooked replacing them and you're asking them to make good on what they said they'd do to the car as a condition of the sale. Please.

Something like that. At least that's how I'd handle it m

this ^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

i wouldnt go in gunz-blazin. i would talk to them like a mature adult, and i am sure they will succumb and help you replace the tires.
if you saw them worn, you should have had it included into the contract.

now you drive off and come back some time later with this concern. they dont know your driving habits, or if you've been to the track or not....

i think they should place at 50% off, and call it a day. and im sure if you talk calmly to the manager without threats or anything harsh, and they will help you.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:00 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
The words "I'll look at it" and "I'll replace them" don't mean the same thing. You're an adult. Take responsibility for your own actions. If you felt the tires were low, you should have had it taken care of, or written into your sales contract. I don't know how you feel the dealership "pulled a fast one". It's not like they replaced the tires and then put the old ones back on rigt before you took delivery. They're in business to make money. If that meant replacing tires to make a sale and they agree to it, that's fine. If not, that's all on you.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Was it Certified Pre-Owned? Tire tread should be greater than 50% remaining if so
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM
adroitcaptor
Registered Member

OP, you never answered the MOST IMPORTANT question asked here, "How many miles have you put on the car since taking delivery of it?" (Black Betty).

In addition, what Black Betty wrote about how to approach the situation, is spot on!

I had a similar (and worse) situation as you:
I had put about 1k miles on mine before taking it to Les Schwab to get the tires balanced (felt like a rear wheel was off) and alignment. I found the rears had aprox 40% on the outside, and were passed the tells (legal limit) on the inside. I ALSO found that there was a 3-4" section of the right rear rim bent. LONG STORY, but they replaced the wrong rim the first time I went in, I went back in, my dad lost his temper (he was my ride home), I had to overcome the issue that caused, but in the end, a good attitude, persistence, and reliance on justice got what I wanted. $200 cost reduction in down payment, 1 new rim (actually 2 because of the first of their mistakes), free alignment, free re-balance of all wheels, and free swap on the rubber (obviously). Sounds like a lot, but that is what being reasonable will get you. I did all the math on pro-rating the tire wear, I had simple and logical REASONING for all my requests, and I kept on them through all their excuses. One issue was how many miles I put on it. I had come prepared with 2 facts. 1 there was no abnormal wear according to Les Schwab (and what evidence of abnormal wear there is) and the fact I had just got a new car so of course I am going to drive it. Also, I noted that I brought the issue back to them giving them the chance to fix it in the most cost effective manner.

SleepyMonkey reminded me of the other point I made with the dealer. I had bought the vehicle certified pre-owned and wear is on THEIR list. If they missed it, it is their fault.

Dan

Quick Reply: Dealer pulled a fast one...