Dealer pulled a fast one...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:25 PM
gonzo007
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhhh - yeah he did adroitcaptor:

Originally Posted by BlkG-37S
I have put a little over 1K miles on the car since i bought it....
I too would be surprised if they do anything for you. Been too long and too many miles. Always worth a shot though. But understand going in....a loooong shot.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey guys, I recently purchased my G37S 6MT a little less than a month ago. I understand it is my fault for not fully examining the car prior to purchase, but I recently dropped my car at a different Infiniti dealership to get some "cosmetic" issues taken care of and they called me today saying my two front tires need to be replaced as they are worn past the thread lines. My issue is this...before driving off the lot day of purchase, I pointed to the two front tires and told my salesman the tires look very worn. His response? "it's hard to tell because they are low profile tires, they are fine, will check it before you drive off." I got a lot of cosmetic stuff replaced already by a different dealer and I could have used this issues against the original dealer to get the cost down further when i bought it, but the fact of the matter is I didn't. Now in less than a month of ownership, I have a dealer telling me I need new tires! What are my options guys? One dealer says I'm good, the other I need replacements.

What would you all do? Complain to the dealer where I bought it or suck it up and buy the tires since it was my fault for not pressing this more when I bought it? Car was bought used with 12K miles. I feel slighted for some reason...any suggestions on how to handle before I go ape-sh** on the dealer tomorrow?
Depending on where you live, you may have recourse. If there are no signs of obvious abuse, then the dealer may be required to replace tires under a certain level of tread as part of the local safety inspection requirements.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
thegad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New tires @ 12k seems a bit crazy. I just hit 26k and still have a decent amount of tread left. No track time, but my daily driver (city and highway) that I do like to drive enthusiastically.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
You bought the car from thwm dealer for 31k, no way can they sell it "as is".
when a used car is puchased it ia expected to be fit for inspection & driving.
Any issues tires., brakes, engine/trasmission.
Depending on where you live, law may vary slightly.
When i bought a used g35 sedan for 18k, it was agreed anything them car needed would be taken care of.
Rotors / front brakes , rear control arm , were not in a working order.
Dealer Attempted to ignore me, took him to court got $3500 recovery.
Id would take pictures of them on them car, then approach dealer in a calm & quiet tone.
If they jerk you take, just take them to court, & replace all 4 tires.
Tell them judge car was not in a safe condition.
They love hearing that.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by SleepyMonkey
Was it Certified Pre-Owned? Tire tread should be greater than 50% remaining if so
Sleepy, car is indeed certified pre-owned. I have a gut feeling the used car manager will argue this, but I'm going in tomorrow morning to get a indented bumper issue taken care of that was promised and am going to bring up the tire situation as well. I know he is going to roll his eyes, but I don't give a flying f***. I agree that 14K miles seems off for new tires. It's funny though, I checked both inspections sheets that the dealers fill out when you take the car in for service and the dealership I bought the car from cleared the tires as good, while a different dealership noted 2 new fronts and an alignment are needed. Is ridiculous I tell you.

Is having this car certified pre-owned really help me out in this case? Anybody know for sure?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Neal376

very good chance the latest guy is just trying to sell you new tires, doesnt know how to read a tread depth gauge or a hilarious combination of both.

purchase a tread depth gauge and measure. 100% tread on stock RE50A is 10/32"
Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Them fact its cetified pre owned, id be amazed if they didnt take care of you.
You have a slam dunk, just dont over react when you go in.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 PM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
The words "I'll look at it" and "I'll replace them" don't mean the same thing. You're an adult. Take responsibility for your own actions. If you felt the tires were low, you should have had it taken care of, or written into your sales contract. I don't know how you feel the dealership "pulled a fast one". It's not like they replaced the tires and then put the old ones back on rigt before you took delivery. They're in business to make money. If that meant replacing tires to make a sale and they agree to it, that's fine. If not, that's all on you.
Not for nothing, but I sense a crude tone coming from you. Yes, dealerships have pulled fast one's on me and this is no different. There was minor damage to the back bumper that was so well hidden, I didn't see it until I gave the car a full detail and rubbed the dented area with my hand. You think the dealership told me about that prior to buying it? No! I also had the same issue with the front bumper. Again, the damage looked to be from a front license plate that used to be there. Again, it was hidden really well until fully detailed the car. Do you think the dealer told me about that? No! But he was perfectly fine handing me all the clean carfax reports when I asked though. The bottom line is this...the tires were just the most recent hiccup in a series of issues I uncovered after the fact. Tomorrow the car is going in to get the exterior issues taken care of? Why you ask? Because the god damn dealer knew what he was hiding when i bought the car. Now he is going to fix it while I watch. The tires is just something I uncovered now, ironically enough, right before I see the manager tomorrow.

Making money is one thing, but purposely lying or hiding things is another. Nw they have a unhappy customer and will fix it anyway...all this when they could have done it from the beginning. And to comment on your response, how do I know they didnt replace the tires or kept old ones on...based on what's happened I don't trust them worth a damn. I am taking responsibility for my actions...going to the manager tomorrow and telling him exactly how I feel. With respect of course.

Last edited by BlkG-37S; 08-18-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:01 PM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by Neal376
very good chance the latest guy is just trying to sell you new tires, doesnt know how to read a tread depth gauge or a hilarious combination of both.

purchase a tread depth gauge and measure. 100% tread on stock RE50A is 10/32"
Neal, this actually crossed my mind immediately when the 2nd dealer called me and told me I needed to front tires. I figured since they just replaced over $2000 worth of cosmetic issues, I figure he was just trying to push me to actually spend my money on something. But then I looked at the tires and remember what I said to the salesman right before I drove off. Figured they might actually indeed be very worn and I didn't know.

Looking at the inspection report, the two dealers put the following under tires..maybe somebody can chime in and help.

Original Dealer: left front- "7" 32nds. Left rear- "7" 32nds
Right front- "7" 32nds. Right rear- "7" 32nds

Different dealer: left front- "21" 32nds. Right front: "2" 32nds
Left rear- "91" 32nds. Right rear: "9" 32nds

To be honest, I don't understand those tread numbers? Anybody else?
Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
If your alignment is severely off, it is possible you may have scrubbed off a crapload of tire, but the rear tire tread can't go UP either.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:24 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

here's a link to the checklist (wheels and tires are the last section - # 156):

http://www.infiniti.ca/en/general/pr...iti%20Form.pdf

this may vary by location but it should suffice if you're in the US

Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 PM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by SleepyMonkey
here's a link to the checklist (wheels and tires are the last section - # 156):

http://www.infiniti.ca/en/general/pr...iti%20Form.pdf

this may vary by location but it should suffice if you're in the US

Wow sleepy, I really appreciate this. I'm print it out now and making marks on what should have been checked, but wasn't. Going to bring this in tomorrow. Appreciate all your help again!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Neal376

Neal, this actually crossed my mind immediately when the 2nd dealer called me and told me I needed to front tires. I figured since they just replaced over $2000 worth of cosmetic issues, I figure he was just trying to push me to actually spend my money on something. But then I looked at the tires and remember what I said to the salesman right before I drove off. Figured they might actually indeed be very worn and I didn't know.

Looking at the inspection report, the two dealers put the following under tires..maybe somebody can chime in and help.

Original Dealer: left front- "7" 32nds. Left rear- "7" 32nds
Right front- "7" 32nds. Right rear- "7" 32nds

Different dealer: left front- "2" 32nds. Right front: "2" 32nds
Left rear- "9" 32nds. Right rear: "9" 32nds

To be honest, I don't understand those tread numbers? Anybody else?

2/32 is 20% tread (on the bridgestone RE50A's)
9/32 is 90%

unless your rear tires magically gained 20% tread when you went to the new dealer I would have trouble believing the second set of numbers

you should get your own gauge and measure it yourself (only cost a few bucks). posting a pic of the tires would help too. we can help you read the tire wear to tell whether your allignment is off, or if your tires were just improperly inflated/something else.

Last edited by Neal376; 08-18-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Wow sleepy, I really appreciate this.

no problem - I've received some great help from this board, so I try to do the same in the rare circumstance that I have useful information!

I hope it works out for you
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal376
2/32 is 20% tread (on the bridgestone RE50A's)
9/32 is 90%

unless your rear tires magically gained 20% tread when you went to the new dealer I would have trouble believing the second set of numbers

you should get your own gauge and measure it yourself (only cost a few bucks). posting a pic of the tires would help too. we can help you read the tire wear to tell whether your allignment is off, or if your tires were just improperly inflated/something else.
Isn't 2/32" the height of wear bars??
That would make it illegal for a licensed dealer to sell, Certified or not.

Quick Reply: Dealer pulled a fast one...