Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

No longer an Infiniti owner.. dealership screw up

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM
shrtcrt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No longer an Infiniti owner.. dealership screw up

I just wanted to share a bit of my story. I have leased 2 Infinitis, a 06 G35 Sedan and an 09 G37S. I went to lease my 3rd, an 11 G37 Sedan since we are expecting our first child.

I did some research and called the dealership explaining what I wanted to do. I was interested in the $399 lease offer. They said come on down and that they bend over backwards for preferred customers.

My wife and I arrive and I explain to the sales guy that I first want to know what they will give me for my car FIRST. If they are not going to be reasonable, there is no reason to waste my time. I explained to the guy that I wanted to be around $399 and I knew some negative equity would be rolled in, but be as close to that as possible.

Of course he insisted we go for a test drive. I explained the issues I was having with my current car. The transmission would slip, a few times it would shift to 7th and not down shift until I shut off the car for at least 10 mins, etc. He first said that engine was too powerful. I said are you telling me Infiniti sold a 42k car and put a crappy transmission in it, yeah right. Then he proceeded to tell me that maybe I did not have the car in drive. Nice, insult your customer. At that point I was done with him.

He comes back with that "We have a great offer for you" They wanted $4000 down, and payments of $612 a month. I went off on him and demanded my keys back. He asked where would I like to be. I told him I already explained that to him. I also very loudly told him if this is how you treat preferred customers, I would never buy another one. He left to get my keys.

Five mins go by and I go to find him. My wife, a few months pregnant, is fed up and hungry and wants to leave. I find him in the finance offer and tell him to give me my keys. I go in the office and grab my keys. The finance guy is trying to rework the numbers, but I laid into him as well. The sales boy tries to tell me I should think about the G35 since its cheaper. I yelled at him that there is no G35 anymore and maybe he needs to learn his models.

Overall a horrible experience. I did find out they were offering my 27k for my car and payoff was 30k. The car had 21k miles so that was real low. I emailed the finance guy and the guy I spoke to on the phone about my horrible experience.

That weekend, this was a Tuesday, my wife and I traded in both of our cars and bought Hyundais. The price for both cars was about 10k more than just the G alone. The payments are a few hundred more than their "great offer."

I do miss some aspects of my G, but the lower payments, lower TCO and better gas mileage make up for it. We only have one Infiniti dealership to, which sucks. All in all, a bad experience vs the first two times I leased a car. Sadly my rep was no longer with them.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:07 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a negative experience, but sounds like the poor service rep was doomed from the start.

Trade in value in fair condition (since you will never get "excellent" price) on KBB is 27k for a 7AT, so they weren't too far off.

Last edited by breftayka; 08-15-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 PM
2008G37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm bottom line is you constantly get screwed leasing cars UNLESS you write them off 100% for business. The sales people got you marked coming and going. They dont care if they lost you as a customer as there is another one right behind you..
Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
interesting story.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
esquesk

Originally Posted by 2008G37s
Ummm bottom line is you constantly get screwed leasing cars UNLESS you write them off 100% for business. The sales people got you marked coming and going. They dont care if they lost you as a customer as there is another one right behind you..
total cost of ownership leasing cars *at good deals* can be lower than purchasing.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
gooddeal

Originally Posted by shrtcrt
They said come on down and that they bend over backwards for preferred customers.

I did find out they were offering my 27k for my car and payoff was 30k. The car had 21k miles so that was real low.
Haha, I bought 5 Gs for the last 6 years and I doubt that they will do anything special for me. Before I bought the G, I drove many Toyotas. One dealer sold me a car w/ the VIN # but couldn't get me the car for whatever reason. They kept lying from 2 days...5 days...1 week...and then 10 days. I demanded the deposit back, wrote a nasty letter to the corporate but I never got a response from the corporate.

I think 27K is not a bad number with that mileage.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 PM
PixelBoy21

My first choice was leasing a new cts before I got the G. Let's just say I'm with you. Except I won't be getting a Cadillac. Ever.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 PM
MrBig

Stealerships don't give a **** if your a repeat customer. They just want to rape you on the price, the the maintenance items. Once had a Nissan finance guy tell me that all cars are "designed" to malfunction and/or mess up once the warranty is over. What a jerk, I asked him if he was selling crap then, and why should I buy this crap. How fast they back track.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your first mistake was expecting near retail for your trade.... you get wholesale....that’s it, go in knowing what the wholesale number is on your trade and no matter where the negotiations go remember that number.. it will not change.
Secondly.....Never, never, never...(did I say never?), lead in with "this is what I want to spend per month"!!!
Let the salesperson present their best deal (which will blow) and negotiate from there down to where you will be comfortable. If at all possible if you are getting your own financing don't let them know that, let them think that you are letting them secure the financing for you (they get a kick back from the financial Institution) and this will allow a little more fat to be cut from the deal. Once you have an offer in writing, then you can reveal your financing intentions.
Buying a car can really suck when you have to fight for a decent deal, I'm glad in the end you got a deal that made you and your wife happy.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 PM
shrtcrt

I thought the 27k was a fair offer too. It was the 4k down and $612 or so a month that bothered me. That was a far cry from the, now that I think of it, $379 a month lease special. I figured under $500 for sure, no way did I think over $600. Also the fact that the sales boy, and he was like a boy in the way he dealt with it, did not listen to me with where I wanted to be, or the problems I was having. He was just trying to sell a car. Sorry but you don't do it that way.

The finance guy did try and save the deal over a few days and a few emails, but in the end, the Hyundai made a better buy, plus it was fun to buy two cars at once. I think dealerships need to rethink how they do business. I know they want to make money and I have no problem with that, but do it in the correct way. I have told EVERYONE I know about the experience. I even "sold" a G because my friend loved mine so much. Oh well.

Thanks for your support and kind words.

Really interested to see what Infiniti does with the new G sedan and coupe for 2012.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:53 AM
dopetime

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
at the end of the day. dealerships are dealerships, and buying a car will hardly ever become a good experience everytime. TONS of stereotypical car salesmans.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dopetime
at the end of the day. dealerships are dealerships, and buying a car will hardly ever become a good experience everytime. TONS of stereotypical car salesmans.
Ever since I started buying imports Ive had (oddly enough) nothing but good easy experiences buying a car. My old Accord coupe, wifes Acura TL and now my G were just a quick phone call laying out what I wanted to pay.

However, Ive never had a trade in to deal with and I only buy instead of lease.

There are a few dealerships around me (New Haven CT area) that are KNOWN for high pressure, "where do you want your payment to be" bs. Im amazed they are still in business, but I know to avoid them at all costs even if it cost a little extra at a more reputable dealership.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Swacer

Originally Posted by shrtcrt

That weekend, this was a Tuesday, my wife and I traded in both of our cars and bought Hyundais. The price for both cars was about 10k more than just the G alone. The payments are a few hundred more than their "great offer."
Let me be the first to tell you. I have a Hyundai myself man, a $30K 2010 3.8 Track Model Genesis Coupe, and there is a reason why its 30K, because they cut so many corners to stop it from being 50K like its supposed to be. Thats why I'm buying a G in the spring.

When I bought my GC I really thought Hyundai had turned the corner, but in reality, they took the exact same cars, and just put pretty bodies on them. It has failed multiple transmissions (a Hyundai usual), several body parts aren't flush, sounds like its rattling loose as it hits bumps, and just generally blah. Plus best thing, offer the best warranty available, but will fight you tooth and nail to actually APPLY that warranty to any situation you have.

I wish you the best of luck with those Hyundais, but from my experience, they meet their reputation.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:36 AM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
sorry to hear you had a bad experience man and hope you rejoin the infiniti family someday. i have nothing but great things to say about my experience.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Yes, not all dealerships are like this. We have had great luck with a local Nissan (New Xterra and used G37 coupe) and well as a Toyota dealership a few towns over. You have to ask around ... I have had some real stinkers too. We had a local Toyota that wasn't owned by a mega owner, we bought our new Sienna from them, great buying experience. They then got bought out by a Mega owner .... same people, crappy could give a **** attitude. All boils down to individual owners/mgmt.

Quick Reply: No longer an Infiniti owner.. dealership screw up