Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

No longer an Infiniti owner.. dealership screw up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G37s
Ummm bottom line is you constantly get screwed leasing cars UNLESS you write them off 100% for business. The sales people got you marked coming and going. They dont care if they lost you as a customer as there is another one right behind you..

You need to go back to an accounting class.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:45 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
What model of Hyundai did you get?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
To me it sounds like you went in with an attitude and got one back. Anytime I have gone into a dealership with an attitude it never got me anywhere.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 PM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way to buy (or lease for that matter) a car, is to do all of your research ahead of time. Then go in and on the car you want, pull out your calculator, figure the price you are will to pay (with or without trade), and tell them this is your offer- take it or leave it. Don't be married to a car on the lot or a particular model that you just got to have. Instead, be prepared to walk out the door and, if they (the sales manager at this point) do not stop you, do not look back. Give them a phone # to reach you, and tell them if they change their mind and want to do your deal, to give you a call. You must be in charge from the beginning, not them.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 PM
2008G37s

Originally Posted by The Jewbag
You need to go back to an accounting class.
Yea sure, I bet you are a renter too instead of homeowner.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:57 AM
esquesk

Originally Posted by 2008G37s
Yea sure, I bet you are a renter too instead of homeowner.
Renting a car does not have the same financial implications of renting a home/apartment.

Owning a home as opposed to renting a home gives you the advantage of having the interest payments on the mortgage being tax deductible.

Now the interest payments you make on a car are NOT deducible, unless you buy the car through home equity financing. Which gives you very little incentive to purchase over lease.

Additionally, depreciation and repairs and maintenance on a home are significantly different than on a car.

A home will actually (theoretically) increase in value, while all a new car does is drop. That is why I lease my cars and buy my real estate.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:19 AM
stormgate

op... just some constructive criticism...

i agree the lease price was a bit expensive... but we don't know the specifics of the g37 you were looking at. was it fully loaded? journey, g37x, 6mt? what was the msrp of that g37?

on the infiniti website... there is a lease for $379, but it's for a base model journey. add in the equity of your trade in... and that makes things ramp up a bit as well.

there is in fact a g25 (not 35)... the "sales boy" may have gotten confused. (i agree that if you are trying to sell a car... at least know everything about that car).

but in my opinion... (to reiterate and supliment what mikelr said) the first mistake you made was even telling them you had a trade in... the second mistake you made was telling them your "ball park"... those are two main no-nos when i am negotiating with a dealer... the third is don't tell them about your problems... they will use that against you and try to exploit that... the fourth is to not let them know how you expect to pay for the car until you are ready to buy. negotiate the msrp down first... then work the rest. make them think you are paying cash if you have to. (i've never leased, so i'm not sure how that would work... but i imagine the lease is based on the negotiated selling price of the car as well).

i think you made the right move considering you will probably need two cars anyway with the kid on the way. but i don't think you should discount infiniti because of a ****ty dealership and a crappy salesman. you could probably have purchased two base g25s for about 650-700 a month (considering your trade in). they are at 319/month for a 39 month lease right now. next time, just do your homework a bit more before going into a dealership. even do some homework on the dealerships themselves... if there is a competing dealership in the area, pit them against each other... (even if you lie about what the other dealer offers) - be just as grimey as they are!

NEVER be afraid to walk away and go to the competition. dealerships are dealerships... although they sell specific cars... they aren't directly employed by the car maker they sell.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Stanislav

"Of course he insisted we go for a test drive. I explained the issues I was having with my current car. The transmission would slip, a few times it would shift to 7th and not down shift until I shut off the car for at least 10 mins, etc. He first said that engine was too powerful. I said are you telling me Infiniti sold a 42k car and put a crappy transmission in it, yeah right. Then he proceeded to tell me that maybe I did not have the car in drive. Nice, insult your customer. At that point I was done with him.
" ???

I'm having a hard time understaing what you're saying.

I have purchased numerous cars before. They key is to do a little bit of research beforehand, figure out what you want (package, options, color) and proceed from there. Never go into a dealership with a "I want to pay $xxx per month".

I negotiate all the terms over email/phone and go to the dealer to sign papers and pick up the car. I'm usually in and out within 30~45minutes. Talk to fleet / internet managers who are wililing to move the cars at a small premium (a few $100s over their cost) than for the car to sit on the lot for anothe rmonth. Don't ever deal with regular salespeople... they will just frustrate you and waste your whole day.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 PM
AMCDeac

The key to a great deal is to have every piece of available information and to be completely willing to walk away from the deal. If you fail on either count, you will end up getting screwed. Respect the salesman's ability but make them respect your ability. The good salesmen have training on each type of customer personality and know how to get the best deal from the type. (Actually, my salesman told me this and I was stunned by how well he profiled me - he knew I would walk away and wouldn't be back for 3 weeks. But I got a good deal because I knew what a good deal was and he knew that I knew that, too).
Old 08-17-2011, 10:00 PM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by esquesk
Renting a car does not have the same financial implications of renting a home/apartment.

Owning a home as opposed to renting a home gives you the advantage of having the interest payments on the mortgage being tax deductible.

Now the interest payments you make on a car are NOT deducible, unless you buy the car through home equity financing. Which gives you very little incentive to purchase over lease.

Additionally, depreciation and repairs and maintenance on a home are significantly different than on a car.

A home will actually (theoretically) increase in value, while all a new car does is drop. That is why I lease my cars and buy my real estate.

Not to go off track here from the topic at hand, but to me personally, leasing is retarded. I understand your point and do see why people lease because everybody is in different situations and has different goals. But leasing will consistently yield you nothing in the end in terms of ownership when going to resale, will give nothing but constant payments, form a never ending "renting" mentality, and will prevent you from ever driving a car without having to incur monthly payments. Too me, that is retarded, but I understand why people do it. Some people like having the "new" model every 3 years, some people don't like to worry about maintenance, etc. I mean for crying out loud, a hot chick goes in your car and says "wow, sweet ride, how does it feel to own something so nice?" Your response? " Umm, I don't really own it, I'm renting it! Dunno..maybe its just me. Getting in my car everyday knowing I would just be renting it for a couple years, will always have a car payment, and would ultimately not see any $ in return when I'm done with it would annoy the shish out of me. To each their own though.

Best strategy is to buy used in my opinion, if buying "new" isn't a priority. You avoid the huge dip in depreciation from buying new and driving off the lot, can get a great deal at a substantially lower cost than new, and can get reasonable monthly payments leading to eventual ownership. Again, that's just me..my rant is done.

Last edited by BlkG-37S; 08-17-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:53 AM
shrtcrt

jjasonSU: Elantra Sedan Limited, fully loaded!

Tazicon: No I went in knowing what I wanted my payments to be and what model I wanted. There was no attitude on my part until they came back with horrible numbers.

G37CPA: That is what I did. I knew where I wanted to be payment wise and when they did not want to be near that, I left.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:58 AM
shrtcrt

I went in for the $379 base model G Sedan. I did not need nav or anything special. I was ok with the trade in price, only rolling $3k. That should NOT have taken a lease payment from $379 to $613. The cost of the car would have gone from $36,662 to $39,662. $3000 over 39 months is $77 a month, so lease should have been $456.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 AM
shrtcrt

I went in saying I wanted the base G Sedan that was offered for $379 a month lease. I set up the expectation that I knew I would roll a bit from my current G lease. They set up the expectation that a 3rd time customer would be treated exceptionally well.

Overall it was a bad experience.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Sorry man but not all places are like that. My wife and I both got our G's( 2 and 3rd) This year at the same place. My wife had a POS Saab 9-3 and was negative 3k on trade in she paid off the Sabb and put $800 towards the lease and is only paying $395 same deal as you "The $399 a month deal -G37X Sedan Premuim and back up" I also got the same thing on my Coupe I traded out of my Speed 3 and was 3k Tipped I only put down $1800 total $1200 towards the negative and $600 towards the Lease I pay $415, Yes both these number are with tax.. Keep shoppinig be stubbon but you may want to leave the wife at home casue this can take hours to get done.. My wife and I both got luck went in the end of the month and was in and out in under 2 hours all said and done.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 AM
G37CPA

Sounds like you are not in a financial position to afford the G37 sedan at this time. As I recall, the $379/month speacial is a base G with Premium. No nav, sport, or other upgrades. Is that how the car you were looking at was configured?
Perhaps you should have tried another dealer, or gone in armed with TMV info from Edumnds and some comps from large dealers with prices posted on the internet (for example, the Infiniti dealer in Tysons Corner, VA). I suspect your local dealer would then meet or maybe even beat the prices you showed him. And you should have gone directly to the internet sales person, or better yet to the sales manager and given him/her your price based on the substantiation paperwork you should have had with you.

Quick Reply: No longer an Infiniti owner.. dealership screw up