Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cross country trip on the G coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:43 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cross country trip on the G coupe

Has anyone done it? I might move to the New England area hopefully early next year, and one of my options is to drive the G from LA all the way to RI. It's gonna be me, my fiancee, and two dogs. Besides being a bit too cramped for two dogs, I was also wondering how does the G fare in long distance driving, especially with the sport seats and suspension.

Will I want to get off the car after two hours of driving or is it comfortable enough for 6+ hours of constant driving? The most I have driven continuously in this car is for maybe an hour and other than my thighs feeling a bit cramped, I was relatively comfortable. But I know the real test is after that two hour mark.

I'll ship the G all the way if the price is right, but I also would like to do that cross country trip. Last time I did it was back in '99 from NY to LA in a '92 eagle talon tsi with a slipping clutch, a nagging wife, and a 6 month old infant. It was a lot of fun.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:03 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I've done this twice already. I went from Los Angeles, CA to New York and back. It was a pretty good drive. I made it back in 3 days, which meant 15 hours of driving a day. I survived, but it wasnt too much fun. But if you take your time and do less than 8 hours of driving a day, the G is a fun car to take across country. Just make sure you tape up the front to prevent rock chips.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:17 AM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by Modme
I've done this twice already. I went from Los Angeles, CA to New York and back. It was a pretty good drive. I made it back in 3 days, which meant 15 hours of driving a day. I survived, but it wasnt too much fun. But if you take your time and do less than 8 hours of driving a day, the G is a fun car to take across country. Just make sure you tape up the front to prevent rock chips.
I'm planning to drive no more than 6 hours a day. Driver fatigue really sets in after that 6 hour mark. Funny you mention taping the car, I am considering buying a bra if anyone makes one. I have a brand new bumper and paint and I want it to look nice for a long time.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:02 PM
hoofhearted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove 16 hours straight from Chicago to Denver with my wife though I did most of the driving. The car is great on the open road, hardly felt fatigued except when it was late at night/early morning or when you hit rush hour traffic going through a major city. I don't have pets so I can't comment about having dogs along, might be a little tough.

Definitely be cautious about animals crossing the highway at night. I had to swerve suddenly to avoid something that jumped across the road. Cruising at 75-80 mph, the car stayed planted and neutral. Have a safe trip whatever you decide.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 PM
jramsey

Long driving

I have an 08' G37S that I drove from Colorado to Alabama and back. The car was a champ and is the perfect GT car for long drives at highway speeds. The seats were comfortable the entire drive and I never had any soreness or back issues. Make sure you have a good radar detector because the ride is so smooth you'll cruise to at 100mph and it will feel like 60mph.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 PM
ShyTown91
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The G itself will be fine. But I drove from Long Island to DC and the sport seats were killing me. I couldnt feel my butt by the end of the trip.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM
samps

I'd imagine long drives would be fine. We also have an 08 G35 sedan that we use for long hauls. The G37S coupe is mainly for around town and shorter trips. I've found that the sedan is essential for us merely for storage space (luggage).
Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Jubbliepuff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you should ask cereal2k about his bra... i remember him posting up pictures after a roadtrip... looks like a very good investment... but i personally have not driven more than 4 hours in my car at a time before...
Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 AM
dopetime

i drive for 6 hours at a time a couple times now with no issues whatsoever!
but ya def get a bra. the dealer even sells some for cheap.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:57 AM
123u

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm about to pull the trigger drive across from New York to San diego next month. plan on 10 hours a day at the most. I made 3 trips back and forth last yr from RI to VA none stop 10 hours driving, it wasn't too bad at all with the G. yeah, if you are going more than speed limited, a good radar Detector is a Must! Enjoy and Have a safe trip.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:40 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I've done more than a couple of 10 hours plus of driving here in texas and the G is quite comfortable to my surprise. Just curious though, how big are your dogs? I would assume it will get pretty cramped up in a 2 door coupe.

Just to compare eibach from the stock sport suspension for long drives, barely noticed any difference except for the better handling with eibach.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:45 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme

did you do this before or after FI? just curious
Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM
thegad

I drove from SF to LA and back and had a great time (although I did it a bit faster than the 6 and a half hours that google maps quotes). DEFINITELY get a bra or tape it up though. With our soft paint you're just asking for headaches if you don't.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't do it in the G by myself.
I wouldn't do it in the G with my wife.
I wouldn't do it in the G with the wife and 2 dogs!

I'd be lucky to be married after 3 15hr days trapped in that car with the wife and both dogs. There's just no way I could stay in any car/SUV/RV for that long.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
TimG37x
Banned

I did it recently. Drove from Mass to Cali, non-stop, with one other person. Like everyone says GET A BRA! I made the mistake of not having one. I regret it now, so many paint chips. =/