Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

speedometer plastic help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did this to my last vehicle. That plastic is super easy to scratch, so I don't even bother cleaning it anymore. Just a quick poof of air or something with compressed air.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
ACoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stained my old G35's speedometer plastic with some 303 a few years ago and I used the PlasticX IIRC to get it off and it worked nicely.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 AM
daviefl86

Originally Posted by ACoupe
I stained my old G35's speedometer plastic with some 303 a few years ago and I used the PlasticX IIRC to get it off and it worked nicely.
Some one posted the link for plastix. Did u buy it online or at store. If store which one? Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
CateyeRR

I just had my cluster lens replaced as well. Luckily I was having my dash cover replaced under warranty (it was peeling up) so for them to replace the lens was about $105, part included.

FYI 303 aerospace protectant was the culprit for me, some drops got on the lens when i was cleaning the interior and it looks like they had etched into the plastic. Keep that stuff (and any protectant/cleaner) away from your lens.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
ACoupe

Some one posted the link for plastix. Did u buy it online or at store. If store which one? Thanks
I got mine at Canadian Tire (I'm a Canuck, eh).
Old 07-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by daviefl86

Meguiar's Plastx is sold at most auto parts stores. Definitely in PePBoys.

And just a note for all, if your going to clean/care for specific parts of the car, metal, aluminum, chrome, plastic, clear plastic, rubber etc. There is a specific product for each!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 AM
daviefl86

Originally Posted by CateyeRR
I just had my cluster lens replaced as well. Luckily I was having my dash cover replaced under warranty (it was peeling up) so for them to replace the lens was about $105, part included.

FYI 303 aerospace protectant was the culprit for me, some drops got on the lens when i was cleaning the interior and it looks like they had etched into the plastic. Keep that stuff (and any protectant/cleaner) away from your lens.
nice that ur dash was replaced in warranty. is there a trick that i could do to make mine replaced under warranty .... please suggest..
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM
daviefl86

Originally Posted by Xcalibur
Meguiar's Plastx is sold at most auto parts stores. Definitely in PePBoys.

And just a note for all, if your going to clean/care for specific parts of the car, metal, aluminum, chrome, plastic, clear plastic, rubber etc. There is a specific product for each!
I bought plastix at auto zone. i didn't have time to clean .. but i will let u guys know the results when i m done ..probably in a day or two..
Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 PM
CateyeRR

nice that ur dash was replaced in warranty. is there a trick that i could do to make mine replaced under warranty .... please suggest..
Not really, unless it is peeling up like mine was. There is a TSB for it for the 08's, not sure about other years.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:37 PM
daviefl86

Originally Posted by CateyeRR
Not really, unless it is peeling up like mine was. There is a TSB for it for the 08's, not sure about other years.
Mine is 08' .. What TSB are u saying ?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 PM
daviefl86

Originally Posted by Xcalibur
I think you can polish it out! Try using some Meguiar's!

I would try Plastx: Meguiar's Direct PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish <-Made just for Clear plastics!

Also a great rubbing compound like Meguiar's Ultimate works good on haze on plastic too: Meguiar's Direct Ultimate Compound

Use with microfiber cloth to polish and wipe/clean up.

If you do use the compound, use plastx after since it has oils like a wax that specifically protect your plastic. You may need to buff at it for awhile.
U r awsome man..Thank you very much. finally PLASTIX worked. I m very happy. Thanks to everyone that replied.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM
daviefl86

Thumbs up

Here is the before and after picture
Attached Thumbnails speedometer plastic help needed-after.jpg   speedometer plastic help needed-before.jpg  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know why they used the most POS plastic on that piece. I've only touched mine with microfiber, and it still gets scratched.

Also, they really should angle it toward the driver instead of away (like BMW does). It reduces glare and our ability to see random scratches/junk that get onto the plastic.

If I ever get around to replacing it, I'm going to make sure to get a big-a$$ screen protector/overlay to put on it.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:56 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
g37xs coupe gauge cluster lens moisture fog

Hi guys, i m new to this forum. I have a weird problem. while i m cleaning my seats in G37 using leather swipes, i also cleaned the plastic glass that's on the speedometer. a week later it left a very strong annoying stains on the plastic.(it exactly looks as if there are water bubbles inside) its very frustrating to see that plastic with those stains. I went to the infiniti dealer to have it replaced but they want 350$ to change that little plastic thing. can any one suggest me an idea to get rid of those stains. any input will be appreciated.

Please see the PICTURE in the post below

thank you
I have fog on the inside of the lens, is there any way to remove this lens without removing the entire guage cluster so that I can clean it?