Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37S Coupe winter options

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Bernard Igiri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37S Coupe winter options

So recently purchased an 08 G37S Coupe and even though it is still summer I am already thinking about what is the best plan for winter. So far I've heard that I should get a second set of rims and winter tires. However, I want to weigh all of my options. I would like to save money, but if that isn't possible then I should at least make it nice.

I went to tire rack and found that if I want to keep the tire pressure monitoring system working then I'm going to spend at least $1,588. That was a bit more than I was expecting. I live in MD so other than the last two freakish winters I usually don't have bad snow. However, this is my only car now and even if I use public transit when it snows I can't guarantee that I'll never have to drive through it.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:25 PM
nigelktm

I used 18" with Dunlop DS-3 and no TMPS. Fine for Toronto winter
Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few options are:
1. Buy all new from TireRack (wheels and tires). Most expensive for sure. DO NOT BUY TPMS, just go the winter without them. It's fine

2. Buy new tires and swap on stock wheels. Expensive because you still need to pay someone to remove, remount, and balance before and after winter.

3. Buy a used set of wheels that already have snow tires on them (what I did). Cheapest option depending on the deal you can get, toughest part is getting a rim that will fit over break caliper. Since it's very early you'll have a long time to hunt for a set.

4. Buy a used set of wheels and put some winter tires on them. Then you only have a 1 time mount and balance.

I found someone selling a set of '10 370Z wheels with Blizzack LM-60 that had only been used for one winter for $800. They came with the TPMS as well but I never paid to have them programmed for the G
Old 06-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Bernard Igiri

About the old rims

Originally Posted by CDONNS
A few options are:
1. Buy all new from TireRack (wheels and tires). Most expensive for sure. DO NOT BUY TPMS, just go the winter without them. It's fine

2. Buy new tires and swap on stock wheels. Expensive because you still need to pay someone to remove, remount, and balance before and after winter.

3. Buy a used set of wheels that already have snow tires on them (what I did). Cheapest option depending on the deal you can get, toughest part is getting a rim that will fit over break caliper. Since it's very early you'll have a long time to hunt for a set.

4. Buy a used set of wheels and put some winter tires on them. Then you only have a 1 time mount and balance.

I found someone selling a set of '10 370Z wheels with Blizzack LM-60 that had only been used for one winter for $800. They came with the TPMS as well but I never paid to have them programmed for the G
When you switch your set of wheels what do you do with the ones that you took off? I have plenty of storage in my house, but obviously I can't just pack them in the car and take them home.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:57 PM
CDONNS

I actually have a floor jack and do it in my garage. You'd have to find someone with a truck or make multiple trips to get them back from the shop. Your best bet would be to buy a floor jack and swap them yourself if you go that route.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Bernard Igiri

I have a floor jack, I guess I should DIY that one.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive mine year round in Madison WI (and everywhere else it takes me). I've only had a problem 1 time, and all I had to do was back up about 6 feet or so and get a running start, then I was fine.

I bought a set of 18" rims when I bought the car and put Vredestein Wintrac tires on and love them. When they wear out (prob after this winter), i'd definitely get the same ones again.

The G is the first RWD car I've had in snow, and to be honest with you, I feel more comfortable driving RWD in the snow than I did FWD.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put on some snow tires on the 19s. That way no ugly 18s for winter and don't have to deal with tpms

-I have a almost new set of blizzak lm60. Pm me if interested
Old 06-29-2011, 05:47 AM
voltic

Originally Posted by Bernard Igiri
When you switch your set of wheels what do you do with the ones that you took off? I have plenty of storage in my house, but obviously I can't just pack them in the car and take them home.
The G coupe can hold four 20" wheels with tires mounted. I know because I hauled my CV1's from LA to San Diego like that, with two in the back seat. Bring trash bags to the tire/wheel shop to wrap your summer shoes in. If you're really paranoid, bring foam padding to set on the seat. You can also just pull the back seat bottom cushion if you're that worried about damaging the leather. Grab it from the rear and pull up, and it pops loose.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Breitling65

Tirerack, get not too wide blizzaks with rims. I do on all my cars.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 PM
voltic

Are Blizzaks pretty much the preferred winter tire? I'm moving out east and don't think my V12's are going to cut it in the winter. Never really lived anywhere that snows.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:29 PM
blueninjabron

I ride only blizzaks, they actually saved my life the first year I got them as I avoided a possible roll over at about 130Km/h. The handling is amazing on the G with them. Pay the money, you will not look back. They only last 2 winters so be prepared!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 PM
CDONNS

Originally Posted by blueninjabron
I ride only blizzaks, they actually saved my life the first year I got them as I avoided a possible roll over at about 130Km/h. The handling is amazing on the G with them. Pay the money, you will not look back. They only last 2 winters so be prepared!
Is that a recommendation of 2 winters from Bridgestone or your personal experience? I've gone through 2 winters of about 5 months each and they still have heaps of tread left.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:55 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CDONNS
Is that a recommendation of 2 winters from Bridgestone or your personal experience? I've gone through 2 winters of about 5 months each and they still have heaps of tread left.
Same here. I've gone through 3 winters of about 5 months each and I still have lots of tread left.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:23 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by voltic
The G coupe can hold four 20" wheels with tires mounted. I know because I hauled my CV1's from LA to San Diego like that, with two in the back seat. Bring trash bags to the tire/wheel shop to wrap your summer shoes in. If you're really paranoid, bring foam padding to set on the seat. You can also just pull the back seat bottom cushion if you're that worried about damaging the leather. Grab it from the rear and pull up, and it pops loose.
^^ speaks the truth

I fit a full set of 19" sport rims with tires mounted in my VERT!!!

Quick Reply: G37S Coupe winter options