G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What can I do with 1000$ to spend on my '08 G37 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Springs ($100-300 used/new)
2. Coils?(800-1000) let's not forget camber kits so if you're lowering get springs will be cheaper.
3. Intake, like others had said
4. Sways.
You can probably get springs new, used intake n maybe sways for 1000 total.
IMO lower the car first, that's definitely a MUST!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:29 PM
ricbel
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by btran104
at 275 is too wide for a 9inch width wheel...it will fit but prob looks retarded
Actually, 275 is within spec on a 9 inch rim. 275 is specified for 9-10.5 inch rims. I am running this setup and it actually looks better to me than the 245.

Rim / Wheel Width
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 AM
btran104

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ricbel
Actually, 275 is within spec on a 9 inch rim. 275 is specified for 9-10.5 inch rims. I am running this setup and it actually looks better to me than the 245.

Rim / Wheel Width
ohh okay hahaha...maybe im just use to stretching tires on my old cars. i had a 235 on a 19x10
Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Aismail

what about the brake pads??
Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by voltic
If you're looking at the Stillen Gen 3's, also look at the Injen CAI. I had to weigh the pros and cons of both and think I settled on the Injen because a few people were talking about some sort of rattling issue with the Stillens. Either way, they're both solid intakes with good gains.

I can't give you much of an opinion on differences between sway bars, but I love my Hotchkis. It's like the difference between driving a Cadillac (or a yacht) and a sports car.

If you're that into handling, skip the springs and wait to get yourself some coilovers.
Yea, what happens is the gen 3 intakes sit very close to a couple different points, they got some thick black tape that also worked as padding and that fixed the issue. Overall I would say the performance gains on the stillen would be the best over the injens, since they sit up front and farther away from the warm air...and unlike every other cold air intake I've had on the coupes, it is still relatively easy to clean the filters too! But there are a couple places out there with the videos and sound clips. I'd say go with Stillen. I've always had Eibachs and the ride has been very similar to stock but with greatly improved handling. Do some research depending if you do springs or coils, some ppl complained about the raked look, since the front might sit higher than the rear. I know Eibachs don't have this issue, so that would get my vote, or do coils if your looking for improved handling/performance ability. I never tracked mine or did much for auto cross so the springs worked great for me.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:25 AM
Aismail

Hey guys, been a while since this post. I had to save the money for something urgent back then so I didn't end up getting anything. I also wanted to test drive the car for a couple of months before I upgraded anything. Here are my replies to some of your comments.

Originally Posted by ricbel
Depending on the condition of your tires pick up a fresh set. I upgraded to 245/40 in the front and 275/35 in the rear, they fit fine on OEM 19, and the handling is amazing, but my fronts were getting bald before so that may be why I'm seeing such a great increase in handling.
I'm getting bridgestone potenza S001 on monday, 245/40R19 and 275/35R19 I had a list of options and it came down to this one. Here's my post on the tires: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...r-my-baby.html

Originally Posted by rks
Hotchki sways and Stillen Gen3 intakes will put you back about $1k. That should be a good start.
Since the tires set me back 1,350$, my next mod will be the hotchkis and the stillen, maybe right after new years. One question though, which is better, sway bars or strut towers? i can never really pinpoint the exact difference and the pros and cons.

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Yea, what happens is the gen 3 intakes sit very close to a couple different points, they got some thick black tape that also worked as padding and that fixed the issue. Overall I would say the performance gains on the stillen would be the best over the injens, since they sit up front and farther away from the warm air...and unlike every other cold air intake I've had on the coupes, it is still relatively easy to clean the filters too! But there are a couple places out there with the videos and sound clips. I'd say go with Stillen. I've always had Eibachs and the ride has been very similar to stock but with greatly improved handling. Do some research depending if you do springs or coils, some ppl complained about the raked look, since the front might sit higher than the rear. I know Eibachs don't have this issue, so that would get my vote, or do coils if your looking for improved handling/performance ability. I never tracked mine or did much for auto cross so the springs worked great for me.
I was considering the Eibach pro kit, but my friend who has a '10 G37s told me I'll suffer with our roads, saying that our sports suspension (stock) is great and we don't need the pro kit, specially since a lot of our roads aren't very good, with a lot of potholes and high speed bumps, so it'll be too low and not so comfortable anymore.

I think tires, sways, and cold air intake should be enough for now. But just for information, what noticeable difference will I see between springs and coil overs?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
get sways as your next mod, trust me they make a huge difference in handling. which brand you go with is a personal choice. eibach vs whiteline vs hotchkis.

stillen g3, you will lose some low end torque, do you do much of city driving? not worth the price you would pay for it + shipping IMO. get some ART test pipes or something.

yes there is a difference between a set of springs and even the cheapest set of coils
Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Aismail

Originally Posted by Presto
get sways as your next mod, trust me they make a huge difference in handling. which brand you go with is a personal choice. eibach vs whiteline vs hotchkis.

stillen g3, you will lose some low end torque, do you do much of city driving? not worth the price you would pay for it + shipping IMO. get some ART test pipes or something.

yes there is a difference between a set of springs and even the cheapest set of coils
U could say 70/30 city driving. Weekends mostly I'm out of the city. I'll look into the test pipes, and maybe some high flow cats. What is the main difference between the springs n coils?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:02 PM
kpjc4eva
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by btran104
at 275 is too wide for a 9inch width wheel...it will fit but prob looks retarded
ihave 265 n 285 on my car. n there 20's. looks fine to me.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Aismail

Originally Posted by kpjc4eva
ihave 265 n 285 on my car. n there 20's. looks fine to me.
that's cause u have 20's, if u use a tire size calculator u'll see the difference in diameter between ur tires and the stock size is 1.21% so under the 3% threshold and it's the closest to a "plus zero" diameter, though i've seen 255 and 285s on a 19 inch on my friend's car and it looks fine, but i'm going for 245 and 275 on the stock 19's (0.9% difference in diameter)...that should be enough for me

Last edited by Aismail; 11-13-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 PM
RedlineAZ

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
get a greddy TI-C exhaust!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Aismail

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
get a greddy TI-C exhaust!

If it really does sound like this TI-C video I found on youtube once, then i'm definitely getting it, but not until next year, I'm still not bored of the stock exhaust, IMO the stock sound is amazing! For now, I'm sticking with a cold air intake and sway bars.

G37 coupe Exhaust beautiful sound - YouTube
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
dudegetalife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has good advise in it.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
DRQKNHT
SoCal Driven

First thing i always do is lower the vehicle, for the most dramatic change, for not too much $$$.

Everything previously recommended like sways or intakes is great, if performance is your main goal. Bigger tires, i would never do if you plan on getting rims in the future (i wouldnt waste the money on new tires now), but aesthetically your car will look no different with any of these mods. When you lower the G, it makes it look 10x sleeker.

Personally i dont care for the car too much when its stock height.

I went with H&R springs first, then moved on to Tanabe Coils next.

Just my $.02
Old 11-16-2011, 05:30 PM
davv1215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RDDLINE
First thing i always do is lower the vehicle, for the most dramatic change, for not too much $$$.

When you lower the G, it makes it look 10x sleeker.

Personally i dont care for the car too much when its stock height.
I agree with this 100%. First thing on everyone's list should be lowering the car (if you want to mod it).

Quick Reply: What can I do with 1000$ to spend on my '08 G37 coupe?