Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Are all Infiniti dealers nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 PM
11_xS_coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beerme986
if you like getting your car serviced at dealer, more power to you. there are many people like myself who never let the dealer touch the car besides for warranty work. different strokes..

Its also a matter of time value of money. No one on here is that bad off because there driving a very expensive car, so i hope i dont sound like a jerk when i say this...

But if your making lets say a couple hundred thousand a year, and you break that down to how much you make per hour. It would be better to get an hour of work out of the way and spend the 65 bucks, than to save the money, and use that hour on your car. Because then your really losing money.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
BREAKING NEWS!!!: This just in! Automobile dealership labor rates are more expensive than other service alternatives! We currently have our best investigative reporter following up on this shocking new information.

In a related story, many automobile owners have found that performing their own maintenance on their vehicles saves them lots of money. We plan a 6 part series to find out if this is true and just how much money can be saved over the pricey dealership labor ratesw.

More as it develops...
^ classic!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
If you mess up, its on you.

If the independent shop messes up, good luck getting something.

If the dealer messes up, well, they better take care of it.

If you're not happy with the price, why don't you try asking for a discount? It never hurts to ask. Dealers (and independent mechanics) charge standardized rates; anything cheaper and they're subsidizing the published number of hours a job is supposed to take.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
you are going to complain?

Infiniti of Massapequa has $19.99 oil change promotion for customers who bought your car here. How much cheaper can you go? That is with a Nissan Genuine oil filter, not a cheap fram or walmart brand
Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
It’s true that dealer rates are a bit higher than independent shops. But you’re getting a few benefits in return. First, they work on Infinitis all day and their mechanics have the proper documents and experience to deal with unique Infiniti problems. Secondly, they’re more likely to have any needed parts on site.

Now I know a fair amount about cars, but am comfortable going to my local dealer. Besides, they have free donuts and coffee and wash my car afterwards.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah we offer free car wash and also a free manicure.... which I do enjoy
Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I think most missed the point. I know dealers are high, I will continue to get my services done at LMW in SoCal. What I was pointing out was $35 for a oil/filter change, but $120 to do the differential? I will do diffs all day long for that kind of money!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Eh, I know a lot about cars but always take my car to the dealer for all work, and everyone else I know does too, just becuase I don't have the time or desire to do it myself. "
you must not have a girlfriend/wife/mother-in-law.
because if you did- wrestling a wretch against a stuck bolt, banging a hammer behind an old stuck brake rotor, or hiding underneath a car would be your only means of escape. LOL
changing your oil on the 3500mile marker, becomes an ABSOLUTELY, NECESSARY, "SORRY I WOULD LOVE TOO HONEY, BUT I CANT GO TO YOUR MOMS TODAY" thing to do LOL
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM
s2ktoEvo

I always love the "my hard earned time" crap. Yes, prying yourself off the couch for 30 minutes would be travesty!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont mind getting my oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer. in the maint schedule the premium maintenance items show up at 30,000 miles and it includes

lubricate all locks/hinges
replace auto trans non-7at models
replace diff oil
replace engine drive belts
replace radiator cap
replace transfer case oil
replace wiper blades
inspect all lights and adjust if necessary.

is all that really necessary? dont think so but if i did get all that done along with the normal schedule 1 maintenance items at the dealer i think im looking at 1000 bill. replace drive belts wtf?

what actaully is necessary at 30k. i would think just the awd transfer case oil and the diff oil right? even then im sure its a couple hundred bucks at the dealer.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:27 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cvroom
i dont mind getting my oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer. in the maint schedule the premium maintenance items show up at 30,000 miles and it includes

lubricate all locks/hinges
replace auto trans non-7at models
replace diff oil
replace engine drive belts
replace radiator cap
replace transfer case oil
replace wiper blades
inspect all lights and adjust if necessary.

is all that really necessary? dont think so but if i did get all that done along with the normal schedule 1 maintenance items at the dealer i think im looking at 1000 bill. replace drive belts wtf?

what actaully is necessary at 30k. i would think just the awd transfer case oil and the diff oil right? even then im sure its a couple hundred bucks at the dealer.
in my opinion that list is rediculous.
"replace radiator cap"?? i would only replace it every 50k if that(unless there are issues)
"replace engine drive belts"?? if there is no issue, why replace it??
Old 06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My time is valuable in the sense that I have so little free time available. I'd much rather pay the dealer to work on my car and use my free time for stuff I want to do.