Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Deal on Re-Tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Kirkster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deal on Re-Tint

just discovered that MN law has a provision for darker tint with a prescription from the eye doctor. It's 50% without and I want to go darker. I just so happen to have an appt. with the eye doctor next week. Do tint shops give a deal on a re-tint?

Kirkster
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
nogoodname
Banned

Actually quite the opposite. It will be more expensive to re tint than it was to tint in the first place. They will charge you for removal fee (40-50 dollars). The old tint must be removed and so does the old adhesive. Then they will charge you for the new tint.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 AM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remove the old tint yourself, it's not very difficult.

Peel off as much old tint as posible, spray adhesive thats on the windor with water, let it sit for 5 minutes, scrape off with a razor blade. It's takes about 10-15 minutes per window.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
IntangibleBW

Originally Posted by fmrlegend
Remove the old tint yourself, it's not very difficult.

Peel off as much old tint as posible, spray adhesive thats on the windor with water, let it sit for 5 minutes, scrape off with a razor blade. It's takes about 10-15 minutes per window.
don't do it by yourself!!!

if you mess up the beading on the back window for your rear defroster when you remove the tint there is no fixing that..

thats why tint shops hate to do retints
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^yes please dont attempt this on your own. there will be no discount, just shell out the extra money to have it done right.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by IntangibleBW
don't do it by yourself!!!

if you mess up the beading on the back window for your rear defroster when you remove the tint there is no fixing that..

thats why tint shops hate to do retints
Oh,, actuall I was just talking about the side window. LOL

Because I had to remove the two front sides not too long ago due to a fix a ticket.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:54 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

removing tint is harder than installing tint
Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

good luck getting a prescription from your eye doctor.. ive heard its pretty hard to do. they are putting their license on the line, and if youre found to not NEED darker tint, your eye doctor could possibly have his license removed. thats what ive heard/read. i asked my eye doctor and he told him that i should just invest in a pair of sunglasses >.<
but as far as tinting, if its your side windows, you can probably do it yourself. if its that small quarter panel window on the coupe, then be careful not to mess up the dot matrix. no fixing that if you cut it.. rear window is definitely something to let the pros handle; at $50, its not worth the stress of messing up your entire rear defroster. ive done front side removal on my friend's mustang and it was not hard at all. just a hair dryer, soapy water, a razor blade, and some spare time. if its good tint on there, its easier to take off as it stays together better.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepyMonkey
removing tint is harder than installing tint
I got lucky on my last car. Once I got the top corner loose it pretty much peeled off all together.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Kirkster

your commnets about the eye doctor are interesting. When I was at the tint shop the person helping me asked if I had a prescription for darker tint. I asked what that was all about and I got a 2 minute rundown of how MN law works. Then he told me they had a partnership with the eyeglass shop a block away. They didn't come right out and tell me I could just go there and get a precscription, but reading between the lines it was pretty clear they were just passing them out. I'll report back as to how hard it is to get one when I go to the eye doctor in a couple of weeks. I'm not going to the same place they support, but I will ask anyway. All they can say is no right?

Originally Posted by mystakin
good luck getting a prescription from your eye doctor.. ive heard its pretty hard to do. they are putting their license on the line, and if youre found to not NEED darker tint, your eye doctor could possibly have his license removed. thats what ive heard/read. i asked my eye doctor and he told him that i should just invest in a pair of sunglasses >.<
but as far as tinting, if its your side windows, you can probably do it yourself. if its that small quarter panel window on the coupe, then be careful not to mess up the dot matrix. no fixing that if you cut it.. rear window is definitely something to let the pros handle; at $50, its not worth the stress of messing up your entire rear defroster. ive done front side removal on my friend's mustang and it was not hard at all. just a hair dryer, soapy water, a razor blade, and some spare time. if its good tint on there, its easier to take off as it stays together better.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kirkster
your commnets about the eye doctor are interesting. When I was at the tint shop the person helping me asked if I had a prescription for darker tint. I asked what that was all about and I got a 2 minute rundown of how MN law works. Then he told me they had a partnership with the eyeglass shop a block away. They didn't come right out and tell me I could just go there and get a precscription, but reading between the lines it was pretty clear they were just passing them out. I'll report back as to how hard it is to get one when I go to the eye doctor in a couple of weeks. I'm not going to the same place they support, but I will ask anyway. All they can say is no right?
youre correct. i dont believe you can get in any trouble for asking for a prescription. if i was in your position, idk if i would ask for the prescription so you can just have darker tints. I would say that light has started to annoy me a lot and i am having troubles driving in direct sunlight. maybe a darker tint that state law could help ease the strain on my eyes. If you give the optometrist a reason for needing darker tints, i think he will be more willing to help you and less offended that you are using his license to get your wants taken care of. but this is all just what ive read. hopefully youre lucky and have a cool optometrist help you out.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I think any optometrist that would give such a prescription is a fool, setting himself up for license-losing law suit. To darken tints beyond the legal norm may be OK for daylight driving but inherently means that it would be too dark for night driving. A night accident caused by such tints can easily end up with legal problems beyond repair.

In that regard, California law states that any such doctor’s note for tints beyond the legal limit also states that such tints must be removed for night driving. As impractical as that sounds, it protects doctors from such legal quagmires.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
^.. tints must be removed for night driving? wha...........
Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cereal2k
^.. tints must be removed for night driving? wha...........
Yes, quoting from the California tint law:

Medical exemption allows for tint or other shading material is allowed on the front side doors if it allows at least 35% of the light to go through, readily is removable and cannot be used at night.”

In other words, with such a note it’s OK to put up some sort of portable shade device for day driving but it must be removed for night driving. So, anyone who wants to enlist a friendly, and in my view a foolish, doctor to write an exemption note should first check the law in their state.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Kirkster

I went to the eye doctor last week. Asked him abut the tint prescription and he said, 'no problem I would be happy to write you one, how dark do you want it for? I I had the slightest inkling it would be that easy, I would have done it in the first place. I declined the prescription and he said if you change your mind just give me a call and I will wrte you one and you can pick it up or i will fax it to you. This guy is my eye doctor for life.

Originally Posted by mystakin

Quick Reply: Deal on Re-Tint