Sponsored By:

Would like to hear from folks who chose NOT to get the sport coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:27 AM
hotdog17316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like to hear from folks who chose NOT to get the sport coupe

Hi all,
I am planning on buying a coupe later this year, and from posts I've seen, its pretty clear almost everyone loves the sport coupe look over the standard (as do I). I really want to get an X coupe, as the winters in PA rough, and I suck as a driver anyway. Add to that the fact this will be my daily driver, and I really believe I need an X.

Now, my delimma is this: I love the sport look, but 2011 is the 1st year they made the sport X, while the regular X I could get either as an 09 or a 10. A used X vehicle from either of these other years would save me thousands of dollars over a new 2011 Xs, and saving money is almost always a good thing.

Now, never having owned a G, I don't know all the ins and outs of the car. I love the look of the sport, but I wonder if anyone here has tried the sport, and for reasons other than weather purchased a non sport edition? I think I'm trying to convince myself one way or the other, between an X and and XS, and though I really want an XS, the thousands in savings for an X is really making me pause. So, anyone have this same quandry, or a similar one between a sport and non and decide they liked the non sport better, and why?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:36 AM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Put it this way... if you buy the X, and then happen to see or drive the XS, you'll end up loosing thousands because you'll want to either convert it to an XS or trade yours in for an XS lol

Had I never owned or driven the sport model, I'd say the brakes are great, but after having the full experience of a sport model, I'll tell you the things that suck about not having one for basic driving

Feel: The brakes are very sensitive, tapping them at slow speeds makes you feel like you just hit a wall, you have very little body support from the seats, the car sits higher so you feel like you'll tip over if you take a turn a bit too fast

Looks: You'll hate your car everytime you see a sport... the bumper, the brakes, the seats, the ride height, all hideous... the perfect car for a 50yo+ female driver.

Last edited by ONEighty; 06-05-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:43 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

hey, ive got a '10 coupe X. here is the reason why I went with the X rather than the S. keep in mind i bought my car when it was 2010, and there was no xS that year so it wasnt an option for me. I live in NJ so i have similar weather issues like you.
In 2010, I had to choose between the X and the S. I knew I wanted something over the journey coupe and i didnt want a convertible or a sedan. I gauged what the 2 options gave me. The X obviously gave me awd, which the S gave me a nicer look, lsd, bbk, better seats, and a more sporty look. Coming out of this past winter I am more than glad I went with the X. With the brutal snow hitting hard every other day, I don't think I wouldve felt same in a rwd car even with the lsd. I also needed to go auto.. i know most people demand manual in a car (well im talking about the guys on this forum lol) but my parents also need to be able to drive my car, and well, my mom cant drive stick lol.

I find my X well equipped for any situation. in the rain im not scared of spinning out, and in the snow i hold grip well. for me, the g is a daily, so safety came first. what good is a car if you cant depend on it?

In your case you have the luxury of having an xS model. if money isnt an issue at all, go with that! lol but you will be saving a bunch if you go with an 09 or 10. If you are planing to drive it year round, go with the X at least in my opinion. youre going to be happy when it saves you in a snow storm, or at least youll have peace in mind that its better ready to handle another snow storm.

the sport look is also all over the place on this forum. honestly, you see more sport g's on here than normal ones. the normal front end almost looks more exclusive sometimes just because everyone here has the sport front end. I wanted to do a front end swap to the sport front bumper, as it would only cost about $400, but i realized im kind of liking my non-sport end a little more every day. If you want the sport front end, upgrade to the 2011 sport front end, that one looks sick!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 AM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I think you're trying to convince a guy who wants an X.... to get an X... lol

His concern is if it's worth the price difference between a new xS or a slightly used X.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Soliditude

I think that most of us, if not all, will agree that the S models are always better than the other standards (not including the IPL). And the only reason that I know where people chose a regular edition over an S is only because they didn't want the harder suspension of the S. But then again, I've heard that the difference isn't that noticeable on the coupes, anyway. However, don't quote me on that, because I've driven 3 different regular G37 sedans, and the suspension hardness was, by far, lesser as compared to my coupe. I'm not sure if the relationship of the coupes is the same way, though.

Simply put, the S will have more style to it overall. It'll also have much better and bigger (safer) brakes, a cooler driver's seat than the standards, paddle shifters if you go with A/T, possibly nicer wheels and a slightly better look from the outside. In my opinion, your choice comes down to either less style for less money, or more style for more money; depends on which is more important to you. Although after owning an S, I'd never want to own a regular model. Every time you'll see an xS or an S parked next to you, you're gonna think, "I wish I had the S as well." Guaranteed.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 AM
IntangibleBW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's going to be your daily driver and you have to drive in the snow then get the x... I live in pa and don't have awd...it's not drivable
Old 06-05-2011, 03:03 AM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^ he's set on getting the x. he wants to know if he should get the xS.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 AM
MechE

I have an xS. I chose it over the regular x because of the added stuff that 180 mentioned. I don't regret it one bit. Well a 6MT would have been boobies!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 AM
SiguRos

People who get the x over the xs typically don't care about the improved driving experience and look. No, you won't look like a 50yo woman driving an x. We're not talking about minivans here. lol
It seems like driving performance and a sporty look matters to you, so I would go with the xs. This is assuming you test drove both AND both are within your budget.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 AM
hotdog17316

OP here,

I do like the look of the sport, but I really don't have much need for its sporting intentions. This will purely be a daily driver to work and such, never taken to the track. I was really hoping to get a response along the lines of 'well, I like the sporty look, but ultimately I got the journey/x/base because the suspension was just too hard/seats were uncomfortable/etc...". I did some guesstimating based on sales and prices from the end of last year, and I think I could get a used 09 or 10 X for somewhere between 6 and 12 thousand less than a similarly equipped new XS. While I can afford it, that's not chump change. And I have a feeling I would smile just as much when I walked outside in the morning seeing a dropped, tinted X, with an extra 2-3 hundred in my pocket every month (ill be financing a chunk of the price), as I would seeing a shiney, more expensive XS.

But, I just don't know that for sure! Arggghhh! The delimma!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

OP, if youre saving 6-12 thousand, no doubt i would say go with the 09 or 10 X. with that much you could put upgrades into the car that would eat up any stock xS. with 6-12k you could get larger brakes, new wheels, new front end and still have room to take your significant other out for a fancy dinner.. lol
i thought the difference was going to be a few grand, not 6-12 grand. in my eyes it seems like a no brainer. i guess what im trying to say is you can make your 09 or 10 x perform at or better than an 11 xS with 6-12 grand to spend.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:59 AM
SiguRos

6-12K? Put some of that towards upgrading a '10X for sure.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM
hotdog17316

Originally Posted by mystakin
OP, if youre saving 6-12 thousand, no doubt i would say go with the 09 or 10 X. with that much you could put upgrades into the car that would eat up any stock xS. with 6-12k you could get larger brakes, new wheels, new front end and still have room to take your significant other out for a fancy dinner.. lol
i thought the difference was going to be a few grand, not 6-12 grand. in my eyes it seems like a no brainer. i guess what im trying to say is you can make your 09 or 10 x perform at or better than an 11 xS with 6-12 grand to spend.
Yea, due to supply and demand, the 09's will be flooding the market toward october through december at the end of the 3 year leases (if they follow the same trend as the 08s), driving their price to the mid to high 20s, and the 2 year leases on the 10s ending will push their prices down to around the low 30s. This is verses the 39k or so that I predict will be the end of year price on the 11 XS. So, quite a savings.

Last edited by hotdog17316; 06-05-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 PM
superleggera

Buy the X bro,
buy the bigbrake kit from wilwood or akebono for 1500 or so,
i love the standard front bumper so keep that
lower it on some eibach springs - 400ish maybe less
and voila
Old 06-05-2011, 02:10 PM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The only difference between the S look and the regular is the bumper and brakes. You can get the rim upgrade .. everything else is just an option.. Think of it this way.. if you have the Journey, your car will look like the G37 Concept (They had the same bumpers) and if you have the S, you'll have 3 fake vents instead of two lol. Both have pro's and cons. Personally, the only good thing about the S is the brakes but anyone can change those. Nothing too different because they have exactly the same engine.

Quick Reply: Would like to hear from folks who chose NOT to get the sport coupe