Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Would like to hear from folks who chose NOT to get the sport coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:29 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryG
Dodge Challengers aren't fast. They have so much hp for no reason. Still high 13s and low 14s.. The Sport brakes are barely bigger than the standard base one fyi...
They aren't that fast but they're certainly faster than the G37. The srt8 can go low 13's and the R/T can do mid 13's no problem. I don't know who do you saw running low 14's but it must have been a ****ty driver.

And FYI, the difference in between the akebono BBK and base brakes is more than just diameter. Plus they're not "barely any bigger" they're a full inch bigger and that's quite significant.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 AM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by Doggy
not true ^ my neighbor has a sedan and I read the numbers on my door and his, my car is 50lbs lighter
What you read on the door is not the curb weight, it's the GVWR. The GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is the estimated weight with both cars fully loaded with passengers and cargo in the trunk. The sedan has a bigger trunk and can fit one more passenger than the coupe, that's why it has a higher GVWR.

If you look up both cars curb weight, you'll see the sedan is close to 100 lbs lighter. It made no sense to me but it's true, the sedan even with two extra doors is lighter than the coupe.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 AM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
They aren't that fast but they're certainly faster than the G37. The srt8 can go low 13's and the R/T can do mid 13's no problem. I don't know who do you saw running low 14's but it must have been a ****ty driver.

And FYI, the difference in between the akebono BBK and base brakes is more than just diameter. Plus they're not "barely any bigger" they're a full inch bigger and that's quite significant.
A G37 has 330HP and it can run 13.6 stock on a good day with hot tires. A Srt challenger has 6.4L V8 470 HP. low 13's for that amount of power???? uh no. That thing is slow and is a pos. The 14's are for the V6. There is a base V6 model, R/T and srt8.

Lol the BMW 335i has almost the same size brakes as the base G37 and did just as well as the G37 sports brakes for the 2008 Motortrend review between those two cars except that the BMW overheated. : P I'm telling you, it's not too much of a difference besides the nice looking Calipers and bumper.

Fun facts for you.. When i was looking at the G, I also looked at the 335i before making my final purchase.

G37S brakes : 14 x 1.3 inches.
335i brakes : Front – diameter: 13.7 inch Rear – diameter: 13.2 inch

335i 0-60 braking 60-0 mph (ft.) 109
G37S 60-0 mph (ft.)115

Doesn't matter if our brakes are huge. The rotors obviously sucks lol.

Last edited by LarryG; 06-07-2011 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 AM
1NEETO

A G37 has 330HP and it can run 13.6 stock on a good day with hot tires. A Srt challenger has 6.4L V8 470 HP. low 13's for that amount of power???? uh no. That thing is slow and is a pos. The 14's are for the V6. There is a base V6 model, R/T and srt8.
I'm obviously talking about the performance oriented R/T or SRT-8 since both those cars go for around the same price. Why would I recommend a V6 if you're looking for speed?

Funny how you post the best time possible for a stock G vs the worst time possible for the charger. 13.6 is possible with a 7AT sedan but it will be hard to achieve with a coupe, a more realistic time is 13.7 and 13.9-14.0 respectively. An SRT-8 at the same conditions you considered for the G is capable of running very low 13's to high 12's @ 106 or so. And that's the 2010 version. The new 392 for 2011 can run mid to high 12's @ 110+, that's very fast. And it goes for a bit cheaper than a fully loaded G37S. I don't know where you get your facts of a 470hp 13 sec challenger, I think you need to research a little.
Lol the BMW 335i has almost the same size brakes as the base G37 and did just as well as the G37 sports brakes for the 2008 Motortrend review between those two cars except that the BMW overheated. : P I'm telling you, it's not too much of a difference besides the nice looking Calipers and bumper.
Yet on that very same review the driver mentioned how great the G37 BBK's are. Keep on thinking that it's just nicer looking calipers and bumper. We all know you're jealous.
Fun facts for you.. When i was looking at the G, I also looked at the 335i before making my final purchase.

G37S 60-0 mph (ft.)115

Boy you need to get a clue. 60-0 tests only test the initial grab, it's an almost pointless test when it comes to big brakes, my old MS6 could do 60-0 in 112 feet matching the same year EVO, STI and Vette ZO6, that doesn't mean that car with its single pot calipers were as good as the brembo-equipped EVO, STI and vette, not by a long shot. That's the point of big brakes, resistance to fade, and fade occurs during continuous hard braking, not for a short 60-0 run.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 AM
mystakin
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you read on the door is not the curb weight, it's the GVWR. The GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is the estimated weight with both cars fully loaded with passengers and cargo in the trunk. The sedan has a bigger trunk and can fit one more passenger than the coupe, that's why it has a higher GVWR.

If you look up both cars curb weight, you'll see the sedan is close to 100 lbs lighter. It made no sense to me but it's true, the sedan even with two extra doors is lighter than the coupe.
I also think the sedan is faster because of how the weight is distributed. i read that the sedan has a much more balanced weight distribution than the coupe.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 AM
ricbel
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The coupe needed more reinforcement to do well on crash tests. Thats why it's heavier.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 AM
michaels20000

If you want to be cheap and save a few thousand go with the non-sport, that was my main reason. In addition, IMO non-sport looks classier and less ricey, I am 30, no need hold on to my youth, ask me again in 10 years around my midlife crisis and my answer will be sport all the way.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by michaels20000
If you want to be cheap and save a few thousand go with the non-sport, that was my main reason. In addition, IMO non-sport looks classier and less ricey, I am 30, no need hold on to my youth, ask me again in 10 years around my midlife crisis and my answer will be sport all the way.
Less ricey? LOL, wtf you smoking. The only thing different appearance wise is the brakes and front bumper (oh yeah, don't forget the S badge).

P.S. I don't know about you guys but a BBK is must on any car for me (looks and performance wise). There is nothing I can't stand more than looking at nice car and noticing those ugly little calipers through the wheels.

In any matter, who really cares as long as YOU like your car.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 AM
G Force

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G37S 60-0 mph (ft.)115

You are missing the point again. ANY car can lock up the brakes and invoke ABS. Stopping distance is a function of tire contact patch and vehicle weight.

The reason for BBK is repeatability in stopping power. Generally, smaller brakes will overheat, fade and reduce performance after repeated use sooner than bigger brakes. Nissan's BBK is a POS, but what does that tell you about their regular brakes then? It's even worse.

Drive some mountain roads in a spirited manner and you'll wish you had the BBK and faster steering ratio. Both of which are only available on the sport model/option. LOL on that.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
LarryG

I'm obviously talking about the performance oriented R/T or SRT-8 since both those cars go for around the same price. Why would I recommend a V6 if you're looking for speed?

Funny how you post the best time possible for a stock G vs the worst time possible for the charger. 13.6 is possible with a 7AT sedan but it will be hard to achieve with a coupe, a more realistic time is 13.7 and 13.9-14.0 respectively. An SRT-8 at the same conditions you considered for the G is capable of running very low 13's to high 12's @ 106 or so. And that's the 2010 version. The new 392 for 2011 can run mid to high 12's @ 110+, that's very fast. And it goes for a bit cheaper than a fully loaded G37S. I don't know where you get your facts of a 470hp 13 sec challenger, I think you need to research a little.

Yet on that very same review the driver mentioned how great the G37 BBK's are. Keep on thinking that it's just nicer looking calipers and bumper. We all know you're jealous.

Boy you need to get a clue. 60-0 tests only test the initial grab, it's an almost pointless test when it comes to big brakes, my old MS6 could do 60-0 in 112 feet matching the same year EVO, STI and Vette ZO6, that doesn't mean that car with its single pot calipers were as good as the brembo-equipped EVO, STI and vette, not by a long shot. That's the point of big brakes, resistance to fade, and fade occurs during continuous hard braking, not for a short 60-0 run.
Why would I be jealous? I have the same car. Lol. The ride is rough and the brakes aren't brembo. It's just all looks. The reviewer can say its better but it did not perform better in the 0-60 brakes. You may not have credibility because I am assuming you are talking about the older models. Get up to date.. 2011 Dodge Challenger | New Dodge Sports Cars - Yahoo! Autos. .

G37s has 3 fake vents instead of two.
G37s brakes aren't brembo, it's just a tad bit bigger but performs worst then BMW's 335i smaller brakes. Nothing to be jealous about , sir.

But the fact that the Challenger is a V8 with almost 500 HP and still do low 13s is horrible. Don't really like American cars except for the Vette.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Stanislav

I'm probably the only one who thinks that non-sport bumper looks a lot better than sport. One of the bigger reason why I decided not to go with non-sport version.

Granted, bigger brakes would be nice to have, but I don't track my car - so it was not a huge issue for me.

To each its own, thats why we have options of sport / non-sport. I do think that the non sport looks a lot more similar to the concept car Infiniti unveiled before releasing its coupe.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM
LarryG

Originally Posted by Stanislav
I'm probably the only one who thinks that non-sport bumper looks a lot better than sport. One of the bigger reason why I decided not to go with non-sport version.

Granted, bigger brakes would be nice to have, but I don't track my car - so it was not a huge issue for me.

To each its own, thats why we have options of sport / non-sport. I do think that the non sport looks a lot more similar to the concept car Infiniti unveiled before releasing its coupe.
Have you guys seen the G37 coupe before it came out? It has the non 'sport' bumper and it looked great.

I hope they actually make a Sports version of the G39 or G37 soon, not just a car that's heavier and has bigger brake and a different bumper. I mean some real performance..
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I want a BBK pretty much for the looks TBH haha.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you guys seen the G37 coupe before it came out? It has the non 'sport' bumper and it looked great.

I hope they actually make a Sports version of the G39 or G37 soon, not just a car that's heavier and has bigger brake and a different bumper. I mean some real performance..
G39? that is a HUGE V6 lol
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM
1NEETO

Why would I be jealous? I have the same car. Lol. The ride is rough and the brakes aren't brembo. It's just all looks. The reviewer can say its better but it did not perform better in the 0-60 brakes. You may not have credibility because I am assuming you are talking about the older models. Get up to date.. 2011 Dodge Challenger | New Dodge Sports Cars - Yahoo! Autos. .
LOL do you think that Brembo is the be-all-end-all of brakes? There's many brands out there that make just as good brakes and Akebono is one of them. Keep on saying that the S BBK is just looks, you sound more and more clueless when you say so.
G37s has 3 fake vents instead of two.
G37s brakes aren't brembo, it's just a tad bit bigger but performs worst then BMW's 335i smaller brakes. Nothing to be jealous about , sir.
LOL 3 fake vents? I have heard just about everything when it comes to the sport vs non sport bumpers but fake vents must be a first. Seems like someone is running out of ideas.

And second, learn how to talk. It's worse, not worst, and than, not then. Even my 12 year old son knows the difference.

Third, you're still hung up on the 60-0 test. I already explained how irrelevant a 60-0 test is. But you choose to remain ignorant. Can't help you there. Also the G37 coupe is over 150 lbs heavier (3542 for the 335 and 3715 for the G37), that's the main reason it stopped from 60-0 at a longer distance, not because of the brakes.
But the fact that the Challenger is a V8 with almost 500 HP and still do low 13s is horrible. Don't really like American cars except for the Vette.
It does mid to high 12's @ over 110 you illiterate fool. 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 Full Test

Here's an excerpt if you're too lazy to read the whole thing.

The result was a stellar sprint to 60 mph in just 4.5 seconds (4.2 seconds with a 1-foot rollout like at a drag strip), which is a good half-second quicker than any previous automatic-equipped Challenger SRT8. That's also quicker than any production Mustang GT or Camaro SS we've tested. The Challenger 392's prodigious power made its presence felt in the quarter-mile, too, clocking a 12.6-second run at 112.1 mph.
C&D also got a 12 sec pass and so did motortrend. Read and weep.

Originally Posted by G Force
You are missing the point again. ANY car can lock up the brakes and invoke ABS. Stopping distance is a function of tire contact patch and vehicle weight.

The reason for BBK is repeatability in stopping power. Generally, smaller brakes will overheat, fade and reduce performance after repeated use sooner than bigger brakes. Nissan's BBK is a POS, but what does that tell you about their regular brakes then? It's even worse.

Drive some mountain roads in a spirited manner and you'll wish you had the BBK and faster steering ratio. Both of which are only available on the sport model/option. LOL on that.
He doesn't get it. I can't believe he keeps on talking about 60-0 tests. Btw the S BBK are made by Akebono not Nissan.

Last edited by 1NEETO; 06-07-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Would like to hear from folks who chose NOT to get the sport coupe