Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Would like to hear from folks who chose NOT to get the sport coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:25 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a nonsport coupe. Biggest regret ever! Wanted a manual, but since I'm a student living at home, my parents said no. Can't argue since it's their money. But I was an idiot and got a nonsport. But i have coilovers and planning a bbk soon, so I don't feel too bad haha.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 PM
TommyG37xS
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i paid the extra for an xS just for the style points. could have saved more than $120/month on my lease if i got the '11 x

bottom line: worth it.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Breitling65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SiguRos
People who get the x over the xs typically don't care about the improved driving experience and look. No, you won't look like a 50yo woman driving an x. We're not talking about minivans here. lol
It seems like driving performance and a sporty look matters to you, so I would go with the xs. This is assuming you test drove both AND both are within your budget.
Some BS ^, car is same and there is no performance advantage one over another. Look is very subjective thing, I don't like doing much mods since I am replacing car in every 3 years. I prefer spending money on good performance tires and light wheels but not heavy Voosen's with Korean made Hankook's. In my opinion this is all this car need to get performance.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:20 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
I have a nonsport coupe. Biggest regret ever! Wanted a manual, but since I'm a student living at home, my parents said no. Can't argue since it's their money. But I was an idiot and got a nonsport. But i have coilovers and planning a bbk soon, so I don't feel too bad haha.
Dude your parents bought you a damn G! It could be a base model and you should not regret anything.

I was driving a POS 1987 mazda 323 at your age.

Spoiled keeds...
Old 06-06-2011, 12:28 AM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyG37xS
i paid the extra for an xS just for the style points. could have saved more than $120/month on my lease if i got the '11 x

bottom line: worth it.
Just wondering what style points besides the brakes and front bumper? lol
Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 AM
G Force

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LarryG
Just wondering what style points besides the brakes and front bumper? lol
There's more to the sport package than just bumper and brakes. You get a few niceties that aren't easily upgraded via the aftermarket such as:
  • 14.7 vs 16.4 steering ratio. The non-sport is noticeably lazier in steering feel.
  • 10-way adjustable sport seats vs 8-way standard seats. The 10-way sport seats get power lumbar and adjustable thigh support (good if you're a tall or long-legged driver).
  • Limited slip diff
  • Sport stitching on seats and steering wheel
Add the better looking bumper (IMO), better brakes, upgraded sports suspension, upgraded 19" wheel/tires, and aluminum pedals and the $1900 for this package is a bargain and a no-brainer. To say the S and non-S are the same cars minus bumper and brakes is plain wrong.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 AM
LarryG

Originally Posted by G Force
There's more to the sport package than just bumper and brakes. You get a few niceties that aren't easily upgraded via the aftermarket such as:
  • 14.7 vs 16.4 steering ratio. The non-sport is noticeably lazier in steering feel.
  • 10-way adjustable sport seats vs 8-way standard seats. The 10-way sport seats get power lumbar and adjustable thigh support (good if you're a tall or long-legged driver).
  • Limited slip diff
  • Sport stitching on seats and steering wheel
Add the better looking bumper (IMO), better brakes, upgraded sports suspension, upgraded 19" wheel/tires, and aluminum pedals and the $1900 for this package is a bargain and a no-brainer. To say the S and non-S are the same cars minus bumper and brakes is plain wrong.
I was talking about the exterior of the car (What people see from glance). It's ONLY the brakes and bumper.
P.S many Journeys are equipped with 14.7:1 Sport-tuned steering gear and Vicious Limited slip diff. So Journey vs a Sport is really just the Brakes and bumper. Still really worth it though. Look wise, same thing..

Last edited by LarryG; 06-06-2011 at 04:05 AM. Reason: More detail
Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Breitling65

I was talking about the exterior of the car (What people see from glance). It's ONLY the brakes and bumper.
P.S many Journeys are equipped with 14.7:1 Sport-tuned steering gear and Vicious Limited slip diff. So Journey vs a Sport is really just the Brakes and bumper. Still really worth it though. Look wise, same thing..
You forget aluminum pedals!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
The X is a must for snow. It seems like everyone here has decided on that factor. I would say with the money you save on an X vs. and Xs that you could really make it your own. Put whatever you want into it and make it sicker than the Xs.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
G Force

You're still not correct.

A Journey does not come with the sport features unless you opt for the sport package - and in which case it becomes a Sport car but with a 7AT instead of a manual. If you opt for the sport package, there is no difference in bumper or brakes with the Sport car. You cannot get a Journey with the quicker ratio steering and VLSD without getting the sport package.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Kirkster

Ditto. I drove both and felt like i would be cheating myself out of something special if i didn't get the xS. I knew I would regret it down the road if i didn't get the xS. I've been driving mine for almost two months now and I don't regret it a bit.

Originally Posted by MechE
I have an xS. I chose it over the regular x because of the added stuff that 180 mentioned. I don't regret it one bit. Well a 6MT would have been boobies!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the non-sport 2010 journey coupe. Basically I've spent the whole time trying to figure out how much it's going to cost me to convert everything to sport now (it's a hell of a lot more than if I had just gotten it in the first place). But don't get me wrong, I still love my car.

Basically, I was buying the 2010 at the end of the model year, and the only way I could get one in white without the premium package and nav was to get non-sport. With sport, premium and nav added, my 33k car would have been more like 41k. I don't want premium or nav because a sunroof decreases headroom and I'm tall, and I have a phone with better nav anyways. I convinced myself I didn't really want the sport package, because replacing the tires and brakes would have been much more expensive. Well I can tell you this, after seeing the sport on the road, if I could have gotten a sport journey without premium or nav I could care less if the maintenance costs are more. The only plus is that I really really hated the sport seats, so uncomfortable.

So anyways, here's my plan:
Paddle shifters - done - $240
Sport bumper - want - ~$500
BBK - maybe - $1500
Sport wheels - maybe- ~$1500 including tires
Better stereo - done - already had most of that stuff
Tanabes - done - ah yeah $500
None of the other stuff really matters to me.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
LarryG

Originally Posted by G Force
You're still not correct.

A Journey does not come with the sport features unless you opt for the sport package - and in which case it becomes a Sport car but with a 7AT instead of a manual. If you opt for the sport package, there is no difference in bumper or brakes with the Sport car. You cannot get a Journey with the quicker ratio steering and VLSD without getting the sport package.

I drove a few journeys with the tires and wheel package with those features. The turning was 14.7. I'm pretty sure it was a Journey because of the front bumper. However; I do not consider the sports model a "sports' version of the G37 because it has the exact same engine. The "Sports model" of the G37 is the IPL because its a tad bit faster.

But from a glance, the ONLY difference is the brakes and front bumper.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM
rskip

I got a journey over an s. I actually wanted an s - but every time I drove one those damn seats were painful for anything longer than 10 min.

The sport package is definatley a bargain - but not for everyone.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
G Force

I drove a few journeys with the tires and wheel package with those features. The turning was 14.7. I'm pretty sure it was a Journey because of the front bumper.
Look, I'm not trying to argue with you but you're simply wrong. You're not going to get the 14.7 ratio without buying the sports package or 6mt sports car. You can't option it on the Infiniti site and you can't get options a la carte.

If all you care about is looks then yes, the only outward difference is brakes and wheels. But there are significant differences between the sport and non-sport packages. To say the car performs exactly the same is BS. A car with LSD (even a VLSD) will corner and exit with much more authority than a car without. Period. Whether that matters to someone or not is a different story. But the difference is there.

However; I do not consider the sports model a "sports' version of the G37 because it has the exact same engine. The "Sports model" of the G37 is the IPL because its a tad bit faster.

But from a glance, the ONLY difference is the brakes and front bumper.
LOL. The IPL has the exact same engine as well. There are more significant differences between the 37 and 37S than between the 37S and IPL. If you don't think faster steering, better brakes, upgraded suspension, VLSD and more supportive seats add to a sportier car then more power to you.

Quick Reply: Would like to hear from folks who chose NOT to get the sport coupe