G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

'08 G37 Coupe - how to get rid mildew in AC system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Unique Bliss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by s2ktoEvo
You guys complicate things way too much.

I fixed this on my car, it's easy. Run your AC with it set on recirculate for a few weeks. It'll cut down on condensation by a large amount and let it dry out. Once it dries out the mold and mildew should die off. You may also want to check the drain and make sure it's not clogged. Might even be beneficial to widen it a bit if it's possible. If you have it set to "fresh air" it has to deal with a lot more humidity than what's in the cabin.

This isn't a turbo. Turning off your AC "for a couple blocks" isn't going to accomplish anything. Take a cup of water and blow on it for a while, let me know how long it takes you evaporate it . Running the ac on recirc is a better option.
Same thing happened to my 08 G and I followed the same technique. It took a fe weeks but all is well now and no "funky" smell any longer.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 AM
benzL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. where is the drain?! I heard i should catherize the drain, but where is it? and how does it look like? thanks guys
Old 09-12-2013, 02:54 PM
ypdfwg37

no problem here on my 2008 g37 and I bought it new in 2008. Been 5 yrs and I live in TX. I use charcoal AC filter which has a great smell anyway.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 PM
pmartell12

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I installed a fram freshbreeze cabin air filter, it has activated charcoal in it that removes any odors that pass through it, That might be worth a shot
FRAM CF10743 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive FRAM CF10743 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM
ypdfwg37

AC drain is a tube under the engine to drain water out from the AC (similar to your house AC) it located on the passenger side under the engine. When your AC is running, you should see the water dripping down under the car, if not then the drian line is stucked and need to clean out. If you don't change your AC filter annually, the dirt from the air mixed with water will make the line stuck.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:32 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by beestea
All, I know there have been a few posts on "whats that smell" etc, etc,... I know its some kind of mold build up on part of the air conditioning system, maybe the fins on the condenser? The dealer stole $75 from me the first year I owned the car in attempt to get rid of the smell without any success. I mentioned it to them a few more times and they didn't even attempt to address the issue. Finally one of the service advisors admitted it is a problem with our cars saying the AC creates lots of condensation which never fully dries up and ends up growing mildew, and there was nothing they could do about it.

The best suggestion I saw on here said to take one of those long plant watering wands and open up the glove box as if you are replacing the cabin air filter, and spray bleach down in there on the condenser. Has anyone had success doing this? Anyone know exactly where to spray or how to get to the condenser?

I find myself trying not to use the AC even in humid 85 degree weather because the nasty blast of mildew that comes out every time I turn it on drives me nuts. I even try running the fans (with AC off) before turning off the car every time and it still doesn't fix the problem.

Also, out of curiousity... does anyone have this problem with the newer models or sedans?
Like you said, what you are smelling is mold and mildew growing in the condensation left in your AC system when you turn the car off. You can avoid much of the problem if you run the heater for a few seconds before you shut the car down after running the A/C. The dealers will sell you an aerosol mixture that will kill the mold and freshen the air but its a lot like releasing a bug bomb on your running AC. I've done it on several cars and if done properly works fine. If your dealer can't solve this one, I think its time to find another dealer.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by beestea
All, I know there have been a few posts on "whats that smell" etc, etc,... I know its some kind of mold build up on part of the air conditioning system, maybe the fins on the condenser? The dealer stole $75 from me the first year I owned the car in attempt to get rid of the smell without any success. I mentioned it to them a few more times and they didn't even attempt to address the issue. Finally one of the service advisors admitted it is a problem with our cars saying the AC creates lots of condensation which never fully dries up and ends up growing mildew, and there was nothing they could do about it.

The best suggestion I saw on here said to take one of those long plant watering wands and open up the glove box as if you are replacing the cabin air filter, and spray bleach down in there on the condenser. Has anyone had success doing this? Anyone know exactly where to spray or how to get to the condenser?

I find myself trying not to use the AC even in humid 85 degree weather because the nasty blast of mildew that comes out every time I turn it on drives me nuts. I even try running the fans (with AC off) before turning off the car every time and it still doesn't fix the problem.

Also, out of curiousity... does anyone have this problem with the newer models or sedans?
Not really a good idea.

Chlorine is pretty corrosive and could cause some really expensive problems down the line...
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
^^ I came here to say the same thing, never use bleach on pretty much any part of your car, ever. The smell is from mildew and bacteria buildup from the moisture between the blades of the AC cooling coil itself, not the water that collects or drains beneath it. Running the fans on recirculate after turning off the AC will help to dry this moisture out and keep the problem from happening or recurring, but once it has taken hold it has to be treated. There are a number of products you can spray into the vent intake when the system is on fresh that will help, although dealing with the smell from some of those isn't the best. Where I live it is very hot and humid and this is a regular problem.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Weaverama

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Absinthe
Like you said, what you are smelling is mold and mildew growing in the condensation left in your AC system when you turn the car off. You can avoid much of the problem if you run the heater for a few seconds before you shut the car down after running the A/C. The dealers will sell you an aerosol mixture that will kill the mold and freshen the air but its a lot like releasing a bug bomb on your running AC. I've done it on several cars and if done properly works fine. If your dealer can't solve this one, I think its time to find another dealer.
This is an old post revived by benzL who is searching for his drain line. I think his question was answered.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Weaverama
This is an old post revived by benzL who is searching for his drain line. I think his question was answered.

Sounds like an identity crisis...

Last edited by rmfnla; 08-14-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:51 AM
benzL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe I researched g37 ac smells, found this post. and someone mentioned my name. I bought my car brand new in 2008 for 36k. I currently still have this problem where my AC unit smells bad. I tried every single Lysol spray (terrible scents, ALL are terrible), change cabin filter, made sure my drain pipe works (Removed my passenger side carpet n verified it works), I even tried the turn off the AC 2-5 minutes before arriving to destination, and i tried recirculating. It sucks cuz I love everything else about this car, but the smell.

STILL ongoing, anyone else have a solution? or something to test, I will try anything as I plan to keep the car until it dies.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 PM
hizzle101

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i sometimes have that smell when i first turn on the ac, i think it's the cigs, sometimes i smoke cigs in there but never hotbox it lol.. also my ac seems to leak more than usual amounts of water from the bottom of the car, would anyone know why?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Try a changing your cabin filter to one with carbon, mines hasnt smelled since
Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
hizzle101

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
know where to get a carbon cabin filter? links?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Amazon.com: FRAM CF10743 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: FRAM CF10743 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter: Automotive
The following users liked this post:
hizzle101 (08-08-2014)

Quick Reply: '08 G37 Coupe - how to get rid mildew in AC system?