G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Does aftermarket exhaust kill classy feeling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think if you can just accentuate the already nice VQ note then it adds not to the classiness, but the sportiness of the car. If you have a coupe, a nice sounding exhaust will compliment it. If you have a sedan, I think stock is fine since IMO the sedan is more class - less sport than the coupe.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:03 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^^ i agree
Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Soliditude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '08 coupe with the Fast Intentions and an auto tranny. You have plenty ways of adding mods onto the car without ruining the classy looks. And By that, I mean paying attention to those same looks when you mod. IMO, if you get titanium burnt tips, your classyness kinda goes away, but if you manage to match a great looking+sounding exhaust, you'll be golden. I drive my G every day, and only get compliments from people who hear to exhaust note. Plus, the FI exhaust looks like the car was built purely to have it. If you want class, looks are the priority.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
From this old man’s perspective, the stock exhaust has a pleasant sound and doesn’t need to be changed. Furthermore, being classy is the opposite of making noise. Having a loud exhaust just to be noticed is not a class act.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 PM
grog

For the record, i'm considering the exhaust not to get noticed i just want a nice deep gut sound that i can hear a litle more kinda searching for the feeling a Mustang with stock exhaust. Has i have stated i know this aint a v8 i'm not kiding myself but a litle more umpf would be nice.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What you're describing sounds like you might be interested in the Invidia.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh em geeeeee wppjr30 is getting an exoticspeed per his description!

Jk amuse!!!

Dude cannot wait to see/hear sound clips!!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Comparisons between aftermarket exhausts may draw similarities in sound, but IMO, there is no aftermarket exhaust out there that sounds remotely like the stock tone. I have the Tanabe Medallions and they sound pretty awesome. It's loud enough to send a message that you're not stock, but quiet enough so that it doesn't sound unclassy. Definitely one of the quieter ones of the bunch that are available.

I also see how a few people on this thread say you should get an exhaust for performance and not for looks/sound. To each his own. People who buy Tanabes generally don't get it for performance anyway since the gains are so minimal (unless you tack on a Y or mid pipe).

I do miss the stock note at times, and I have a tendency to roll down my window and listen to other stock G's on the street. But I know if I put my stocks back on, I'll miss the Tanabes (at least for now).

Anyway, to answer your question, no I don't think it kills the classy feeling. But I think the definition of classy is subjective, so what someone else on this forum may think as classy, you may not. My guess is that you'd like the sound of the Fujitsubo exhaust. It's a lot of money for an axle-back, but it does sound pretty bad ***.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
NYCMaxima

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lambos are considered classy cars and they are LOud as ****! They are louder stock than any Modded g37 can get, so I think its fine, do what makes you happy.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lies^ lol take off the entire exhaust system. Open headers ftw. Loud as *****.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:46 PM
chogrilla

leave the exhaust stock dude..stock sounds amazing as it is in my opinion and yes i also do feel it does sorta take away that "classiness" from the car
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Comparisons between aftermarket exhausts may draw similarities in sound, but IMO, there is no aftermarket exhaust out there that sounds remotely like the stock tone. I have the Tanabe Medallions and they sound pretty awesome. It's loud enough to send a message that you're not stock, but quiet enough so that it doesn't sound unclassy. Definitely one of the quieter ones of the bunch that are available.

I also see how a few people on this thread say you should get an exhaust for performance and not for looks/sound. To each his own. People who buy Tanabes generally don't get it for performance anyway since the gains are so minimal (unless you tack on a Y or mid pipe).

I do miss the stock note at times, and I have a tendency to roll down my window and listen to other stock G's on the street. But I know if I put my stocks back on, I'll miss the Tanabes (at least for now).

Anyway, to answer your question, no I don't think it kills the classy feeling. But I think the definition of classy is subjective, so what someone else on this forum may think as classy, you may not. My guess is that you'd like the sound of the Fujitsubo exhaust. It's a lot of money for an axle-back, but it does sound pretty bad ***.
I don't think there is an axleback for the X sedan from Fujitsubo is there?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
coolraz

Personally, I think the stock exhaust is THE best sounding exhaust of any car in this price range (lexus, mercs, bmw's, even mustangs etc). It's very quiet when crusing but really opens up at higher RPMs. See on Z, test pipes sound cool, it works with the type of car it is, but for a G, I really feel you gotta keep the sound down, so I definitely agree with u.

That said, I wanted to get some more power and get a nicer looking exhaust. I really wanted to be able to cruise and make minimal noise until i punched it.

My setup is Fast Intetions RESONATED HFCs and Traditional Exhaust. So far i love this setup. After a week, it quieted down and there's hardly any drone (just a little around 2krpm, but even though im AT i rarely drive in that range).

I think this is the closest you can get to a stock exhaust, while getting some more power and top-end sound. Also, this thing will roar big time when you get past 5k rpms, people will definetely hear you coming (or rather, leaving since you'll be leaving them in the dust : )
Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Soliditude

^^Guys, Coolraz just nailed everything you'd need to know for getting for a sick-sounding, sweet-looking, classy setup. Thumbs up for your explanation, bro.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
Oh em geeeeee wppjr30 is getting an exoticspeed per his description!

Yes! I am installing it at the same time as my Varrstoens and my AIT kit...

Quick Reply: Does aftermarket exhaust kill classy feeling?