Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Malbec Black upkeep

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 AM
mdr955

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malbec Black upkeep

Thinking about picking up a non-G infiniti that is Malbec Black. Im wondering if the paint will be as hard to keep looking good as a standard black or does the flake make it show a less?

Does it just look like regular black when its not in the sun/light?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
yes, it looks like regular black at night and in the shade. A whole different story when it sits in the sun. It's a great color, I love it!

The upkeep, like any black car is tough, I use PoorBoys spray and wipe products, I use it almost on a daily basis and wash the car maybe 3 times a month.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Malbec will help hide some light scratches slightly better than full on jet black, but as with any very dark color, you're facing an uphill battle immediately after washing/detailing the car. There's just no way around it.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know on my black meguiars works much better than poorboys. I compared them side by side
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Ive been battling Malbec Black since the first time I washed it. Im not sure if mine is out of the ordinary soft or what, but it mars very easily.

I let a detailer have at it and he was able to get excellent results with the compound from the Meguiars microfiber DA system, followed by Megs 205 and then sealed with his choice of sealant.

When I get around to it, Im going to try and polish one panel at a time using the same procedure, then apply OptiCoat, a kind-of-permanent paint coating that should help reduce marring (Detailed Image carries it)

At first I was really bent because the paint was so soft, but when you see it clean and shiny in the sun it makes up for all of it.....REALLY nice color, Im not a fan of when it looks dark purple, but when it looks like black cherry its awesome (and of course when it looks just straight black is good too)
Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 AM
csnpsu

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Ive been battling Malbec Black since the first time I washed it. Im not sure if mine is out of the ordinary soft or what, but it mars very easily.

I let a detailer have at it and he was able to get excellent results with the compound from the Meguiars microfiber DA system, followed by Megs 205 and then sealed with his choice of sealant.

When I get around to it, Im going to try and polish one panel at a time using the same procedure, then apply OptiCoat, a kind-of-permanent paint coating that should help reduce marring (Detailed Image carries it)

At first I was really bent because the paint was so soft, but when you see it clean and shiny in the sun it makes up for all of it.....REALLY nice color, Im not a fan of when it looks dark purple, but when it looks like black cherry its awesome (and of course when it looks just straight black is good too)

I second this, from the first time you wash it, it is a battle.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM
mdr955

When you say its a battle are you saying to keep it perfectly shiny? Does it just look like crap when its unwashed?

Basically I don't want a color that is going to make the car look beaten up and old when its not. Ive got Blue Slate now and it really looks good even when its a bit dirty....I know Malbec will be worse, just trying to get a sense of how it compares to jet black or obsidian black etc.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
For me its a battle because it seems pretty soft. Might not be the color in general, could just be my car.

It doesnt look horrible when its dirty, but its a black car after all.....its not going to look as nice as when its freshly washed. All dark colors are like that anyway, so unless you go light (silver, white, etc) you are going to see it at least a little.

For me its worth it because I dont drive the car a whole lot, so it stays clean just because its sitting. pollen, on the other hand........disaster for black, but even my tan colored truck is showing the effects of all the spring pollen
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You live by the sword.... you die by it....

Black looks great, because it's got the most reflection, but that also magnifies it's flaws as well... that's why I went moonlight white this time around.... no regrets... I was a former slave to a black car, never again, but at the same time I think everyone should have a black car at least once!

Good luck...

Name:  photoshoot2053-1.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  28.6 KB