Sponsored By:

2011 G37xS first impressions and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 AM
YetiTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 G37xS first impressions and a few questions

Hello everyone,

This is a long message because I need some advice, feel free to ignore or reply!

I went for a test drive of a brand new G37xS coupe. I was extremely happy with the test drive. It looks for me that Infiniti made a very good thing to add the sport package to the G37x coupe.

I must say that I come from a 2009 SH-AWD TL and while I would not change for a G37 sedan or a G37x coupe, the Sport package adds the things I was craving namely a BBK and the sport seats. I found the sport seats to be well bolstered and comfortable though not as much as the ones in the TL.

Ok, here is the deal: I went to try the new 2012 TL with the Elite package. WHile it is a very nice car and quite more refined than the G37, it is essentially what I have right now but with a better gearbox(the new 6AT is great, no gear hunting, clean shifts... well for a slushbox), better suspension and steering feel and ventilated seats. I know also I will miss:
1) the TL sound system and the electronics.
2) The quality of the interior with the contrast stitching and the fat steering wheel.

However, I can't get my hands on a 6MT (that was the first plan) and I now live in a bigger city so there is quite some traffic at times so an AT would seem to be a more sensible choice.

Now, the mean little G37xS coupe is a sweet jewel. I would get a black/black one with the tech package.

The great:
1) I love the nice paddle shifters, they have a good feel and adequate size.
2) Brakes were good, less that the Acura but I feel they would be more resistant to fade during spirited driving due to the bigger diameter.
3) Sound of the exhaust is nice, but I prefer the sounds of the 3.7 engine in the TL. I must say the 2012 TL is quieter so IMHO, it is more refined but it lost some of its grainy sport car sound when you push it so I might end up loving the VQ engine more!
4) The aluminim pedals compared to the plastic ones in the TL (big omission from Acura for me)
5) Perfect size for a GT car, I feel the G37 is a nice complete GT car. All in all it is a great package! You can be proud owners!

Ok, here's is my situation: I can swing the payments for both cars easily. I am also going to test drive the Ausi S5 and S4 and maybe the CTS-V. I doubt I will go with either as the Audi has a similar layout as the TL (FWD based with a big heavy nose and tq vectoring AWD system) and the V is just too much car for me, but I could swing the payments of those too. I couldn't find a M56 to test drive which is sad.

I would love to downsize from the TL as I miss that jet fighter feel the G37 coupe has due to its smaller size. I rarely ever need the back seats, except this year when I moved my stuff between 2 cities. I could always rent a van for those occasion though.

I have a nice Acura dealership but they are not willing to move the price on the 2012 TL and they don't want to install mods for me. I modded my 2009 TL when I first bought it in my old city. Right now, I have a J-Pipe and lightweight wheels and it helps sooo much. Shaved around .5 in 0-60 or 1/4 just from those 2 mods and gained some FE from the J-Pipe (it is the same piece as a Y pipe, X pipe or H pipe for the G, so you know).

I have to look with the Infiniti dealership as I would like to install the equivalent for the G37xS coupe either a Y pipe or a full exhaust.

My questions:
1) Is there any y pipe/ exhaust that fits the X Coupe?
2) How is the maintenance of the G? Acuras are extremely low maintenance and I had a solid, rattle free car so I would like to keep the same;
3) I plan on buying a nice set of Enkei GTC01 in 19 inches with Michelin Pilot super sport as the Max performance rubber. Anyone experienced those wheels?
4) Is there anything I should look for when shopping for a G37 coupe? I read about the battery, the transmission and the bad quality of paint/leather seats. Anything else?

Thank you, I'm looking to join the family if everything falls in place. I would love to hear some feedback from you guys.
-YetiTL
Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 AM
HIGHFIVE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would choose any of the listed cars over the CTS-V? I would give my left nut for the caddy. I love how you broke things down. That my friend is how you are supposed tp make a big purchase. Kudos to you. My best advice to you: Get what you like! Good luck my friend.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:10 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Agree with HIGHFIVEE, Man sounded like me when I got mine, I compared all the cars I could get with the G.. I have G37X coupe and have full exhaust and Intake. honestly most Y pipes fit( Except Invidias) There are a few of us on here with my exhaust--Al tho I was the first X with it. The best sounding exhaust I have ever owned, Check out my vids and pics on here.. Also the X can make power, I was dyno tuned yesteday and on a mustand dyno and made 298 WHP and 230 WTQ, -

Also welcome to the forum guys here are great.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
YetiTL

Originally Posted by HIGHFIVE
You would choose any of the listed cars over the CTS-V? I would give my left nut for the caddy. I love how you broke things down. That my friend is how you are supposed tp make a big purchase. Kudos to you. My best advice to you: Get what you like! Good luck my friend.
First, thank to both of you.

Second, yes, I would choose a well sorted machine like the G37 or the TL over the V. Even if I can swing the payments, I still don't feel that would be the best use of my money. A G37xS coupe with a 36 months lease will be around 950-1000 $/ month in Canada with 0 $ down. The V will easily be around 1400 $% per month and I think I can make a better use of that 400 $ per month like saving it for a rainy days and enjoying life in other areas: more travels, finer cigars and spirits and maybe a high performance driving class or two. Why no extracting all the G has to offer with only an exhaust and more skills?

Also I checked with the some internet sources and it seems the 19 in. wheels are only 26-27 lbs so I don't see the need for lighter wheels, unless they would be 20 lbs or less...I might just end up with the exhaust and better tires!

Thanks to all of you!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM
SlateBlueG37x

I'm a new owner and still fairly new to this forum, but I gotta interject here:

Why on God's green earth would someone who is coming off an Acura TL and seriously loving the G37 be even CONSIDERING driving that caddy?

Hey, before I settled on my Gx coupe I drove nearly everything in its class and never once considered the CTS-V. I just couldn't get past the daddy-caddy connotation!

Get the G and mod the hell out of it. You won't be disappointed! Good luck and kudos on doing your homework!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
YetiTL

Originally Posted by SlateBlueG37x
I'm a new owner and still fairly new to this forum, but I gotta interject here:

Why on God's green earth would someone who is coming off an Acura TL and seriously loving the G37 be even CONSIDERING driving that caddy?

Hey, before I settled on my Gx coupe I drove nearly everything in its class and never once considered the CTS-V. I just couldn't get past the daddy-caddy connotation!

Get the G and mod the hell out of it. You won't be disappointed! Good luck and kudos on doing your homework!
That is the problem I have with the Caddy as well, I think it's too much of a car for me. I have a similar problem witht he S4-S5 as I can hardly see how I can justify the 10k in difference once I paid for all the mods. I already add a FWD TQ vectoring car so why not a RWD-based one? I would prefer a TL or G37 and mod it to my liking. However, like all this in life, sometimes you just have to try it to let it rest in peace gracefully.

I wrote to my salesman and I'm waiting this reply concerning my desire to mod the brakes and add an exhaust or part of exhaust after a while.

We'll see!

Last edited by YetiTL; 05-01-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM
HIGHFIVE
Banned

Dont get me wrong I Love my G. I have an 08 G37 coupe Journey addition. It is loaded up with every option possible. Ive done the standard mods so far, The eibach drop, The staggered 20s, a cai, Berk Highflow cats and an ARK Performance cat back. I am ready now for the uprev dyno tune to put the power where I want it. The only issue I see with the G is the damn torque! It just doesn't have enough! The solution is an $8000 TT kit ot a supercharger. I am bouncing it around in my head as we speak. The thing is, I also own a 2009 CLS550 AMG with all the torque I need. I see your leaning toward the G37. Just pull the trigger baby!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by HIGHFIVE
AGREED!

Just something about the style/prestige/luxury of a Caddy with a Corvette engine in it.

I was on the highway and heard the roar of an American V8, expecting to see a Corvette what blew past me was a CTS-V.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:03 PM
MechE

I got the G you want!

1. From what I have been gathering in the last month the exhaust options are limited. Although Some say you can special order.

2. I came from a 2005 Chevy Impala... So my experience with a single month of ownership is that the G is very well built. The interior isn't flimsy. I've been told maintenance is bot bad at all. Most you can do yourself. The VQ is very well built. The 7 AT feels great.

3. No.

4. The paint is very soft. I don't know if the 2011 has the self healing like the previous years.

Bottom line is I got a car that I felt was fun to drive and would remain so for the next 5-7 years. I plan on modding and eventually making my track car. We're finally getting turbo for the X from GTM. I don't regret it one bit! Hope to see you around here more often
Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 AM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the G37 XS. I came from a G 35XS, and an Audi S4 V8 before that. I found the G's AWD system in the G 35 sedan not as forgiving. I found that the ESP intervened too early compared to the Audi. The current G37 has resolved most of that problem. It appears that the software will let you "play" somewhat before stopping you. Yes the Audi is front heavy, yes it is more expensive. I have driven the S5 and the new S4 both are great cars but nod went to the G because it has all the toys at a lower cost and I didn't have to wait 3 months. BTW, I decided against the Tech package, because the cost of it didn’t bring anything that I wanted to the table.
The Acura is a great car and when I compare the two, I find them both equally easy to take care of and, in my opinion; both dealers do a good job of being responsive to customer’s requests.
The CTS-V was my first choice, but two things stopped me, the lack of AWD and the cost. If that car had a good AWD system, it would have been a more difficult decision. Is the car worth 70 grand, yes and I feel that it is a bargain at that level, but it is 20 grand more than the G37 and I agree that I could find better use for 20 grand at this time.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
YetiTL

Quick update:

I received a message from my future Infiniti dealership:

1) they accept to install my mods and do that frequently

2) They have a relationship with Stillen so I could get the SC installed in the dealership! How cool is that?!?

Wow a SC AWD (RWD biased) monster with track brakes and everything...looks like I found what I want! hahaha!

P.S.: Anybody know how much power the tranny can take, I would not want to have too many problems though. The thoughts of an SC is nice but I have to get realistic and calm myself. lol
Old 05-04-2011, 02:06 AM
theaudir8fan

OP, i don't know where in canada you live at, but personally i live in calgary, and i have an S sedan, which is a really fun time in the snow, but yes i have got stuck a few times.
In your response, i would still take a G over a TL anyday, i actually work at Acura right now for the summer (i'm in university), and i actually drove the TL, and i must say, it's a comfy car, but i wouldn't even try to compare it to a G, G is a sports sedan/coupe, TL is a family sedan, just not on the same level. Plus if you are even considering tunning this car, G is a much better choice.
As for SC, i would recommend GTM a million times over Stillen. just look at the track records, unless you are willing to take the possibility of dealing with all the BS in the future. I understand that GTM hasn't yet made a SC kit for the x, but they are working on it and did promises to deliver, even if there has to be a delay, i'm sure you will be much happier with a GTM SC kit.
As for the tranny, the 7at should be ok with stillen because of the low torque output, but in no case would i recomend going without a valvebody upgrade. there are different upgrades available, check with GTM, they can advise you on all that stuff.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 PM
YetiTL

Originally Posted by theaudir8fan
OP, i don't know where in canada you live at, but personally i live in calgary, and i have an S sedan, which is a really fun time in the snow, but yes i have got stuck a few times.
In your response, i would still take a G over a TL anyday, i actually work at Acura right now for the summer (i'm in university), and i actually drove the TL, and i must say, it's a comfy car, but i wouldn't even try to compare it to a G, G is a sports sedan/coupe, TL is a family sedan, just not on the same level. Plus if you are even considering tunning this car, G is a much better choice.
As for SC, i would recommend GTM a million times over Stillen. just look at the track records, unless you are willing to take the possibility of dealing with all the BS in the future. I understand that GTM hasn't yet made a SC kit for the x, but they are working on it and did promises to deliver, even if there has to be a delay, i'm sure you will be much happier with a GTM SC kit.
As for the tranny, the 7at should be ok with stillen because of the low torque output, but in no case would i recomend going without a valvebody upgrade. there are different upgrades available, check with GTM, they can advise you on all that stuff.
Ty! Well you know, while I think that the TL has a more advanced AWD and all that, the G is a less refined but sleeker car, as it is a coupe. And life is too short, why not trying many brands to find what suits me better?

I will admit though that I'm partial to the new TL (2010-2012)wheter with the 6AT or even better the 6MT. I think the 6MT is a great sport sedan and the 6AT is really a mid size car with a very nice list of amenities, some like ventilated seats that you usaully see only in the mid size luxury class. But I disgress, this is not a TL v. G thread and I don't want that.

To be honest, I wasn't impressed when I test drove the G37x coupe in 2010 (interior cheaper than the TL, less powerful brakes, parchment interior color and a tranny that had so many different test drives that it was hunting for gear at all times) but the Sport package renewed my interest in the G as I love sport brakes, sport seats and the solid paddle shifters, I do a lot of spirited driving so being confortable while held firmly in place is important and so is knowing where your downshift and upshift paddles are too!! LOL

You're right about mods though, the TL J engine can't be tuned by Uprev, no 2 pieces high quality rotors by RB but there are exhausts, springs, coilovers and intakes. The handling of the SH-AWD is awesome alrady so adding a RSB isn't necessary IMHO. At least TL users can lower their cars a little bit and add a sporty and effective eshaust. With good rubber and a good set of lightweight wheels the car can be great fun. But you will always be remembered you drive a 194-195.5 inches long car, not a 183 in. long one so it shows when driving in traffic.

Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone! I really appreciate it.

If I buy and mod the G, I'll bring along a G-Tech and clock myself before /after so you can have an idea of how effective the reduction of unsprung weight with lightweight wheels and RB 2pieces rotors is worth on 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 PM
lier200a

Hey, If you don't mind me asking, where in Canada you living? It nice to see Canadians in forums since we have such a harder time (mostly pricier) to buy mods for the G. I live in Regina btw.

ps- I was stuck between the TL and the G as well but the infiniti dealership gave me a ridiculous price for the G vert and the threw in Winter tires and rims. Honestly, I am super happy with the G and don't regret not taking the TL at all. Service guys are great too. and I love having a loaner everytime I get my G serviced!! SOOO convenient!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM
lier200a

My questions:
1) Is there any y pipe/ exhaust that fits the X Coupe?
2) How is the maintenance of the G? Acuras are extremely low maintenance and I had a solid, rattle free car so I would like to keep the same;
3) I plan on buying a nice set of Enkei GTC01 in 19 inches with Michelin Pilot super sport as the Max performance rubber. Anyone experienced those wheels?
4) Is there anything I should look for when shopping for a G37 coupe? I read about the battery, the transmission and the bad quality of paint/leather seats. Anything else?
To help answer your questions:
1) I know ARK is working on the X coupe currently and some say they are the best. I plan on buying one for my vert which they are also working on. Check the forum for a group buy for the X coupe. They got one going for the vert

2) I was surprise but the maintenence is just as good as Acura. They do "recommend" some things like ester oil but its not required. And in the first year, your G should be problem free as stated in the Infiniti Ownership Manual so if your not satified with anything, They fix it!

3) No experience but heard nothing but good things about the tires.

4) Go to the Technical service bulletins. Like I said in point 2, anything you don't like in the first year, complain and they'll get it fixed.

Hope that helps

Quick Reply: 2011 G37xS first impressions and a few questions