Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Freak accident, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 PM
pippen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freak accident, need advice

So I am on my way to work yesterday at 6:45am driving my 2009 G37x Coupe, and traveling 35-40mph on a local road with 1 lane going each way.

As I turn the corner, all of a sudden coming in the opposite direction at 35-40mph (about 1.5 car lengths away), a 2003 Red Hyundai Tiburon driver's side wheel pops off and then starts rolling right at me (while gaining speed rapidly because the road was at a slight decline the direction he was going in and slight incline for me since I was traveling opposite direction).

I had one second or less of time to react, if I swerve to the left I would go right into the Tiburon, if I swerve to the right I hop a curb and go into a tree or someone's front yard (maybe other objects too). If I do nothing, I get hit by the wheel. Well I hit the brakes and the wheel came straight into my bumper, deploying my air bags. After the air bag deploys, there is a bit of smoke and it smells inside my car.

The wheel from the Hyundai went back in the other direction after hitting my car, rolling into someone's yard about 3-4 houses down. I quickly turn off my car, then get out and call the cops. Bottom line, the front bumper is damaged with tears and driver's side headlight glass is cracked.

So now, my car is at the towing place and I am awaiting to hear back from the Hyundai guy's insurance adjuster.

My question is: Is there anything else besides a new bumper and new headlight I should be concerned about?

I have attached a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails Freak accident, need advice-2011-04-15_07-42-13_67-copy.jpg   Freak accident, need advice-2011-04-15_07-42-24_578-copy.jpg   Freak accident, need advice-2011-04-15_07-42-49_77-copy.jpg   Freak accident, need advice-2011-04-15_07-43-25_267-copy.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 12:28 AM
aexis

Hyundai taking down our G's anyway they can at least it wasn't Genesis would be even more angry! Joking aside I hope insurance covers it and you get it fixed or totaled and get a new G

Edit just saw pics ya it won't get totaled but maybe that is less of a headache just to fix

Last edited by aexis; 04-17-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:31 AM
TommyG37xS
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check ur radiator
Old 04-17-2011, 01:20 AM
BHB 91

Assuming the Hyundai's owner has sufficient insurance to cover the damages, remember to file a diminished value claim once all repairs have been made. Since your air bags deployed, this will be considered a major accident and you will need to file this type of claim. The other insurance company will not bring this up so you will have to. Your car will not be worth as much when it comes time to sell it as it would be if it had not been in this type of an accident. Good luck with everything and I hope it works out for you
Old 04-17-2011, 05:12 AM
kosstick

Car will not be totaled at all minimum damages should at least add up to $4,000.00 wouldn't be surprised if it reaches $5,000.

Bumper-Headlight + paint alone is $1700.00 Factor in the internals behind the bumper and airbags easily 4k.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:29 AM
beerme986

damage looks very minimal. as long as you take it a body shop of your choice, they will tear it down and decide if something else needs replacing. I would not have it fixed at the hyunadi guy's insurance "preferred shops"; they have agreements set up to fix the bare minimum to save costs.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah, there isn't much behind that bumper. literally, empty space. the only small bit i'd be concerned about is the lining up your new bumper + your right fender + your hood. that force of the wheel from that impact had to go somewhere, right? you may not be able to tell with your eye, but your hood and fender could be slightly warped. make sure it aligns PERFECTLY and you're set! it could've been a lot worse... glad you're okay!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Romulus1

I bumped someone a few weeks ago, damaging my bumper, grilled, headlight and fender warped, iim surprised getting hit by a rolling wheel deployed your airbaag but goodluck with it all none the less, damn hyundai drivers
Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 AM
RaizinCayne

Man, that coulda been a lot worse! Its a pain in the *** but hopefully insurance covers it all and u find a good shop.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
4drScreamer

Man you're really lucky the wheel didn't bounce. Had it come up as it hit you, it would have come at the windshield and you would be in a much worse situation!

Definitely submit on the diminished value claim and have it thoroughly inspected. Take it to your local dealer if they have a body shop component. If they don't they will recommend a local independent to use. One that they trust who will look for everything.

Good luck and thank God that wheel didn't buonce!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM
4drScreamer

BTW you did the right thing by not swerving right OR left! The damage in either direction would have been a lot worse.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 PM
pippen

Originally Posted by BHB 91
Assuming the Hyundai's owner has sufficient insurance to cover the damages, remember to file a diminished value claim once all repairs have been made. Since your air bags deployed, this will be considered a major accident and you will need to file this type of claim. The other insurance company will not bring this up so you will have to. Your car will not be worth as much when it comes time to sell it as it would be if it had not been in this type of an accident. Good luck with everything and I hope it works out for you
Thanks for this advice! So I file this with the other insurance company after my car is fixed?

Originally Posted by beerme986
damage looks very minimal. as long as you take it a body shop of your choice, they will tear it down and decide if something else needs replacing. I would not have it fixed at the hyunadi guy's insurance "preferred shops"; they have agreements set up to fix the bare minimum to save costs.
Thanks. Good to know. I contacted Ray Catena Infiniti to ask which shop they use, and they said Quality Auto Body in Rahway, NJ. So I will tell the hyundai guy's insurance company that I want to use this shop.

Originally Posted by eksigned
yeah, there isn't much behind that bumper. literally, empty space. the only small bit i'd be concerned about is the lining up your new bumper + your right fender + your hood. that force of the wheel from that impact had to go somewhere, right? you may not be able to tell with your eye, but your hood and fender could be slightly warped. make sure it aligns PERFECTLY and you're set! it could've been a lot worse... glad you're okay!
Thanks! Hmm I will keep this in mind. I will tell the body shop about this concern. Should I mention this to the hyundai guy's insurance company?

Originally Posted by Romulus1
I bumped someone a few weeks ago, damaging my bumper, grilled, headlight and fender warped, iim surprised getting hit by a rolling wheel deployed your airbaag but goodluck with it all none the less, damn hyundai drivers
The guy didn't even apologize! Damn hyundai drivers!!

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
Man you're really lucky the wheel didn't bounce. Had it come up as it hit you, it would have come at the windshield and you would be in a much worse situation!

Definitely submit on the diminished value claim and have it thoroughly inspected. Take it to your local dealer if they have a body shop component. If they don't they will recommend a local independent to use. One that they trust who will look for everything.

Good luck and thank God that wheel didn't buonce!
I know! Right when it hit I thought it was going to come through the windshield, but luckily it went the other direction. My dealer said to go through their recommended shop Quality Auto Body in Rahway, NJ. Hopefully, they take care of me there. Do I submit that diminished value claim once my repairs are all done, and do this claim through the other guy's insurance company?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Romeo0119

How the hell did a wheel fall off a car? Hyundai is quality huh, so was the hyundai rolling on 3 wheels for a few blocks? That is some crazy accident.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 AM
pippen

Originally Posted by Romeo0119
How the hell did a wheel fall off a car? Hyundai is quality huh, so was the hyundai rolling on 3 wheels for a few blocks? That is some crazy accident.

Thats what I'm wondering. Maybe the lug nuts were not properly tightened? Nope, as soon as the wheeel came off, he swerved to the right and came to a stop a few seconds later.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Art Vandaley

Sport bumper time?

Don’t be sad, its better to be hit by a wheel than a 3 wheeled Tiburon

Quick Reply: Freak accident, need advice