Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help needed with drip channels in trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Kromber2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help needed with drip channels in trunk!

I've been searching and searching and cannot find any help on this. I was cleaning out my trunk the other day and noticed that both of my drip channels are really loose and the 3m tape that is applied to them is no longer sticky. I pulled them off and noticed now that the clips do not hold as well as they did before. I've been trying to find the replacement parts online and cannot find anything. I found the drip channels parts, but cannot find the clips or 3m tape. Does anyone have some advice? Are the channels even really needed or are just for looks? I'll post a pic below to the back of the drip channels and you can see where the clips were located.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Kromber2

No help huh?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the square metal clips around the round buttons on the body need to be taken off.

And it needs to be reinstalled like the one on the front of the right side. You need to fit them first into the panels before you reinstall the panel.

As for the tape... HOME DEPOT, AUTO ZONE, PEP BOYS.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Kromber2

You wouldn't happen to know where to get the thicker 3m tape that was used from the factory? I can't find it at pep boys, they only have the thin tape. I think I have to get new clips as the don't seem to fit the same way anymore.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Dieseldoug22

Originally Posted by Kromber2
You wouldn't happen to know where to get the thicker 3m tape that was used from the factory? I can't find it at pep boys, they only have the thin tape. I think I have to get new clips as the don't seem to fit the same way anymore.
I think HOME DEPOT has some good automotive tape that I had bought there before, it has a red covering peel-off layer. If it's not thick enough see if 2 layers will work.

The clips you will need to make fit. There are 2 little tabs sitting off the long side of the clip.

After you set the whole clip in the plastic panel you need to use a small screwdriver and push those tabs through the small gaps in the mounting area.

The clips should fit in there securely. If you were to buy new ones from the dealer you would have to fit/install them the same way.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Kromber2

Thank you! Very much appreciated! Now I just have to find the the 3m tape that will fit correctly. Haha
Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Kromber2

Still having trouble finding the 3m tape.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Dieseldoug22

If it's not thick enough try sticking 2 pieces on top of each other. It doesn't need to look pretty because it is going to be under the panel anyway. And FYI my tape is long gone and I have not replaced it and the panels stay in place fine. So you don't have to worry about them blowing off.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Kromber2

Yea, I noticed mine is still hanging on since the clips are holding it in place, but it seems a little loose as their is currently no tape holding it down. Since yours is missing the 3m tape as well, are your loose as well? Are they even necessary to use?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Dieseldoug22

Yes there is a little wiggle when the trunk lid is open, that might be solved by the tape. But in all honesty I don't really touch that area when the trunk is open. It doesn't move around when the trunk is closed. I was looking for tape when I had to take mine off a couple years ago and forgot about it and never looked back. It doesn't rattle in the car and you can't really tell if the trunk is closed.